Writing on speaker cable.....

steerike

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Newbiw Q I'm afraid. Got some speaker cable and have had plugs soldered on the end. To wire the cable to the speakers and amp seems idiot proof - red to red and black to black but...when I bought the cable, the guy in the shop mentioned something about getting the writing reading in a specific direction but I forget exactly what he said - can anyone enlighten me?

steerike said:
Hi,

Newbiw Q I'm afraid. Got some speaker cable and have had plugs soldered on the end. To wire the cable to the speakers and amp seems idiot proof - red to red and black to black but...when I bought the cable, the guy in the shop mentioned something about getting the writing reading in a specific direction but I forget exactly what he said - can anyone enlighten me?

Some manufacturers think their cables are directional and even go to the extent of putting little arrows on their cables to mark direction. Ease feel free to ignore the guy in the shop.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If you really want to, connect with the arrow going towards the speaker, it will make absolutely no difference, but you may as well do it, as the believers will no doubt be along soon to tell you that it does make a difference.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If you really want to, connect with the arrow going towards the speaker, it will make absolutely no difference, but you may as well do it, as the believers will no doubt be along soon to tell you that it does make a difference.

Quite right BB. It just looks nicer with the writing going from amp towards the speakers..... just helps those little electrons know which way to go. ;-)

steerike

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
steerike said:
Hi,

Hi,

can you let us know how much you paid for these cables? Concern is if you are being told they are directional, that they may be £1,000 per metre type.

Did you get small wooden blocks to keep the cables off the floor? They help bring the sound into much more focus.

And don't forget to stick pencils up your noise to stop sound travelling through your sinuses to the inner ear thus ruining the 3D soundstage.

Regards,

Shadders.

He did mention that holding both cables twixt forefinger and thumb, whilst sat in Lotus positon and listening to to Gong would help align my Chakras

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

steerike said:
He did mention that holding both cables twixt forefinger and thumb, whilst sat in Lotus positon and listening to to Gong would help align my Chakras

I'd have thought your Chakras would be out of line if you sat in the Lotus position.

shadders

steerike said:
Hi,

Hi,

can you let us know how much you paid for these cables? Concern is if you are being told they are directional, that they may be £1,000 per metre type.

Did you get small wooden blocks to keep the cables off the floor? They help bring the sound into much more focus.

And don't forget to stick pencils up your nose to stop sound travelling through your sinuses to the inner ear thus ruining the 3D soundstage.

Regards,

Shadders.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
steerike said:

I'd have thought your Chakras would be out of line if you sat in the Lotus position.

.......Gong!!

If anything is out of alignment it was Steve Hillage. ;-)

Did someone say "yes" or "no"?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Even though I know it makes no difference it helps me sleep at night to do this.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A long time ago in a universe far, far away, a dealer (name withheld to protect the guilty) employed a new, young and terribly eager new member of staff.

In these bygone times it was not usual for the recommended speaker cable of the day to have any writing, or for that matter any indication of 'directionality'.

So the new employee was given half a dozen pairs of speaker cables and told to work out their 'direction' both in terms of one to another and then in 'absolute' terms.

To give the chap his due he spent a whole afternoon checking these out and produced each pair of cables carefully marked as pairs and for directionality. Done that, what next? Was his only comment...!

He was an absolute gem.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
A long time ago in a universe far, far away, a dealer (name withheld to protect the guilty) employed a new, young and terribly eager new member of staff.

In these bygone times it was not usual for the recommended speaker cable of the day to have any writing, or for that matter any indication of 'directionality'.

So the new employee was given half a dozen pairs of speaker cables and told to work out their 'direction' both in terms of one to another and then in 'absolute' terms.

To give the chap his due he spent a whole afternoon checking these out and produced each pair of cables carefully marked as pairs and for directionality. Done that, what next? Was his only comment...!

He was an absolute gem.

I can think of another word *biggrin*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

It could begin with "D", yes.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Deluded is a good word.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Deluded is a good word.

Personally I thought he was absolutely spot on. At the end of the day he produced sets of speaker cables that were, as requested, sorted and marked (for direction, left and right) ready for use.

He did exactly what was asked of him, whether he tried listening to them or not, I could not say, didn't matter.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Deluded is a good word.

Personally I thought he was absolutely spot on. At the end of the day he produced sets of speaker cables that were, as requested, sorted and marked (for direction, left and right) ready for use.

He did exactly what was asked of him, whether he tried listening to them or not, I could not say, didn't matter.

*biggrin*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

I was once told by an employer to go and buy a skirting board ladder (along with the usual tartan paint and long stand). So I went home, made a cup of tea and put my feet up in front of the telly for a couple of hours.

On the way back to work I popped into a pet shop and bought him one of those tiny ladders that you get in hamster cages. The look on his face was priceless.

Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Deluded is a good word.

*biggrin*

Was his name davedotco? I think the world should know.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Deluded is a good word.

*biggrin*

Certainly not.

I could tell the directionality of speaker cables by instinct.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:

He was an absolute gem.

Diligent...?

Dedicated...?

Deluded is a good word.

*biggrin*

Certainly not.

I could tell the directionality of speaker cables by instinct.

What a guy! *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts