Would you leave or give up your hi-fi (advise please)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You're a heartless bunch :)

Tino may have a point though. Perhaps compromise is needed in the form of something like a Naim Muso or similar.

Its also easier to pack if case of a divorce.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned, this is a relationship counseling issue. I guess I'd sit down and talk to my wife about how important music and hifi is to me and try to reach a compromise. I'm fortunate enough to have an understanding wife. Hopefully you can reach a satisfactory compromise and keep headphones as a last resort.

K

keeper of the quays

ID. said:
As mentioned, this is a relationship counseling issue. I guess I'd sit down and talk to my wife about how important music and hifi is to me and try to reach a compromise. I'm fortunate enough to have an understanding wife. Hopefully you can reach a satisfactory compromise and keep headphones as a last resort. 
+1

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Are you guys seriously telling this poor man to leave his partner of 20 years over a few bits of marantz hifi?

Preposterous.

Now if it was cyrus ...  ;-)

Quote of the day!

English houses are also to blame as the only walls suitable in most cases to stick a tv in center normally has a huge radiator.

I also hate corner tv
its a big problem getting balance right for the mrs for everyone

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Visit the naim forum for lessons and transfer the philosophy from naim to hi-fi in general.

The Naim 'upgrade path' means the entire family having to forego holidays, luxuries, nice clothes, shoes, food, decent cars etc. for at least the two decades the OP has been with his "misses" [sic] and more. It demands an industrial strength level of austerity that would impress a cave dwelling hermit.

The best players will even be able to convince their kids that something called a 'SNAXO' is worth more than nice teeth or going on a school holiday with their mates.

I managed, somehow, to get out of Naim's clutches after just two years of owning their entry level separates system. I was one of the lucky ones!

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Resistance is futile as the Borg would say. She would get your car, the house and it's contents including the HiFi which she would probably sell. Just say "yes dear" and buy some headphones it's the cheapest option.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AntAxon said:
Resistance is futile as the Borg would say.   She would get your car, the house and it's contents including the HiFi which she would probably sell.  Just say "yes dear" and buy some headphones it's the cheapest option.

Not sure that's entirely the case, they're not married for a start, either way the assets should be split equally, unless he's not able to provide maintenance for the children (which he doesn't appear to have).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......

James Blunt - 'you're beautiful' with a decent ring should solve all your woes Kit Kat......

There are some bitter men on here is all I can say......

matthewpiano

These situations are always difficult, and as individual as the people in the relationship. Ultimately it comes down to a bigger consideration that only you and your wife can work out, with professional help if necessary. Is it a symptom of a general disregard for each other's individual passions within the relationship, or is it a standalone issue you need to negotiate together?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
As mentioned, this is a relationship counseling issue. I guess I'd sit down and talk to my wife about how important music and hifi is to me and try to reach a compromise....
This would be great advice in a 'we've-just-moved-in-together' stage of a relationship, but if she doesn't know this already after living with the guy for 20 years I don't think there's much to be gained from spelling it out. To ask for this kind of advice so openly on a public forum IMO the poor man has reached a point of sheer desparation and is reaching out for support from like-minded peers just to reassure himself he's not being unreasonable (which clearly he isn't). Relationships are all about give and take. If she can't see she's being unreasonable and this really is a case of she won't see it his way and won't even compromise, then clearly this is just the tip of a much bigger rooted problem, and it may even be that the best thing he can do for his future is walk.

There I said it.

K

keeper of the quays

Think we need to pause..and wonder? 'what would Russ do?' I think Russ would suggest a powerkord to give ambience and soundstage and then Russ would offer a cd enhancer thingy..and you and your long suffering partner would have endless hours of fun trying to work out how this cd enhancer thingy works? But also enjoying the vivid but natural presentation of music..picture the scene..you sitting in your favourite armchair.your partner, her head on your lap!!! Listening together to beautiful music courtesy of Russ! She will have long forgotten about those ugly speakers..its win win!

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol......

James Blunt - 'you're beautiful' with a decent ring should solve all your woes Kit Kat......

There are some bitter men on here is all I can say......

Bitter? Nope

Smart? Yes

50% Divorce rate

70% Instigated by women which rises to a staggering 90% when dealing with professional couples.

This guy's girlfriend is being unreasonable and unsupporting in his hobby and your answer is to marry this woman????

PMSL....good one!!!!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
ID. said:
As mentioned, this is a relationship counseling issue. I guess I'd sit down and talk to my wife about how important music and hifi is to me and try to reach a compromise....
This would be great advice in a 'we've-just-moved-in-together' stage of a relationship, but if she doesn't know this already after living with the guy for 20 years I don't think there's much to be gained from spelling it out. To ask for this kind of advice so openly on a public forum IMO the poor man has reached a point of sheer desparation and is reaching out for support from like-minded peers just to reassure himself he's not being unreasonable (which clearly he isn't). Relationships are all about give and take. If she can't see she's being unreasonable and this really is a case of she won't see it his way and won't even compromise, then clearly this is just the tip of a much bigger rooted problem, and it may even be that the best thing he can do for his future is walk.

There I said it.

It's what I'd do if suddenly put in that position. To be honest, I don't think I know enough about the situation, their relationship, etc., etc. to get much of a feel for what's feasable and what the situation truly is.

I'd like to think I'd never be in such a relationship lacking compromise. If my wife turned around after 20 years and decided to be an unmoving hard arse about something like that out of the blue, I'm not sure what I'd do other than try to reach a compromise. Actually, I'd suggest removing the TV and just keeping the stereo :p

This is actually a surpisingly common type of post on here. A couple has just done up/redone a room and the partner thinks it's an opportunity to get rid of those ugly separates that have been spoiling the room's aesthetics all these years. Such a shame to keep that clutter when we've just gone to all the trouble of making the room look so nice. I know plenty of women who believe themselves to be the arbiters of fashion and good taste (despite being unfashionable and having questionable taste, but that's just my opinion) and demand total authority with respect to how the home is decorated and how their husband dresses. Maybe it's something that gets worse with age or the longer the relationship goes on.

matthewpiano

ID. said:
MajorFubar said:
ID. said:

There I said it.

It's what I'd do if suddenly put in that position. To be honest, I don't think I know enough about the situation, their relationship, etc., etc. to get much of a feel for what's feasable and what the situation truly is.

I'd like to think I'd never be in such a relationship lacking compromise. If my wife turned around after 20 years and decided to be an unmoving hard arse about something like that out of the blue, I'm not sure what I'd do other than try to reach a compromise. Actually, I'd suggest removing the TV and just keeping the stereo :p

This is actually a surpisingly common type of post on here. A couple has just done up/redone a room and the partner thinks it's an opportunity to get rid of those ugly separates that have been spoiling the room's aesthetics all these years. Such a shame to keep that clutter when we've just gone to all the trouble of making the room look so nice. I know plenty of women who believe themselves to be the arbiters of fashion and good taste (despite being unfashionable and having questionable taste, but that's just my opinion) and demand total authority with respect to how the home is decorated and how their husband dresses. Maybe it's something that gets worse with age or the longer the relationship goes on.
I experienced exactly what you describe in a previous relationship. She was, on the whole, a nice person, but her ideals and mine were rather different. I'm lucky to now be in a relationship/marriage with someone who shares my passion for listening to music and having good sound quality.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I was in a similar situation in my small lounge. I'd already won the TV positioning round (it now sits in the middle of the wall) but was jealously guarding the Monitor Audio BR5 floorstanders at the front and BR2 on stands at the back. She would often call these an eye-sore, and to be fair their cherry finish didn't really go with the room. In the end I traded the speakers in for an Apex A40 and a pair of A10s lying horizontally on top of the tv stand (TV is mounted on a cantilver). I added a sub but there was still a net floorspace gain for her, you can see more wall and there's nothing that "dominates" the room. The radius 90s replaced the BR2s and are so small they sit happily on the window sill at the back; the antique white sills match the white finish on the radius speakers perfectly so you barely notice them. It's all fine for day to day TV viewing, but when we have friends round for a film night the hifi racks podium slimline stands come out from under the sofa, the apex 10s sit on top, nice and wide apart too, and the volume goes up. With the SVS sub the sound is thunderous, much better than the old floorstanders, and everything can be discretely tucked away afterwards.

Going small isn't always a downgrade.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
This is one of those moments when I pause to think how lucky i am.

I have a fantastic relationship with a fine lady, who encourages me in my Hifi and TV interests/obsessions, in fact she enjoys a great movie picture and the surround sound in support.

Gray

The room looks better without a hi-fi? That sounds like a joke comment, but in this case it's real!

I will never be in a position where anyone would feel the need to say that to me.

Deep sympathy to the OP. That's some awkward situation.

K

keeper of the quays

jjbomber said:
Gray said:
Deep sympathy to the OP. That's some awkward situation.

The OP hasn't been seen since he asked the question!
Maybe he took his beloved speakers to the shed? And now lives in the shed? Maybe house wifi doesn't extend to shed? That why he vanished? Maybe he got shot of hifi and sits mournfully gazing at tv..too sad to post here? I'm hoping he in shed..volume up! Air guitar to Metallica..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts