Would you be annoyed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Jonathan Evans said:
AlbaBrown said:
I still find it bizarre how so many people will order products online, for musical enjoyment, without auditioning first. Regardless of whether any publication (not just WHF!) have run a promotion, sorry review, on it.

Agree on the auditioning front, Alba. We always say people should listen to kit before they buy if at all possible, and use us as a means of getting a shortlist together.

(Oh, and nice dig about our reviews. Very droll)

Lost count how many times I've banged on about either a shop or home audition on this forum. If some people are too lazy to find a local dealer, that's their problem.

In the case of headphones, it can make good sense to order online, try at home, and then return for a refund if not happy. I've done it a couple of times myself. OK, you take a small hit on the return postage, but it's probably no more than the tube fair to the local hifi dealer.

Headphones are unusual in that a large factor in the choice is physical comfort, and you really need to know what the 'phones will feel like after a couple of hours' use. It makes sense to do that in the comfort of your own home.

:cheers:

Matt

matt49 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jonathan Evans said:
AlbaBrown said:
I still find it bizarre how so many people will order products online, for musical enjoyment, without auditioning first. Regardless of whether any publication (not just WHF!) have run a promotion, sorry review, on it.

Agree on the auditioning front, Alba. We always say people should listen to kit before they buy if at all possible, and use us as a means of getting a shortlist together.

Lost count how many times I've banged on about either a shop or home audition on this forum. If some people are too lazy to find a local dealer, that's their problem.

In the case of headphones, it can make good sense to order online, try at home, and then return for a refund if not happy. I've done it a couple of times myself. OK, you take a small hit on the return postage, but it's probably no more than the tube fair to the local hifi dealer.

Headphones are unusual in that a large factor in the choice is physical comfort, and you really need to know what the 'phones will feel like after a couple of hours' use. It makes sense to do that in the comfort of your own home.

Matt

that is the other option of ordering online, as long as they have a returns policy. However, even more important, is to build up a good rapport with 1 or 2 dealers. Afterall headphones don't sufer from room acoustic foibles

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
that is the other option of ordering online, as long as they have a returns policy. However, even more important, is to build up a good rapport with 1 or 2 dealers. Afterall headphones don't sufer from room acoustic foibles

Regardless of any returns policy, under Distance Selling regulations you still have the legal right to cancel the order up to seven days after receipt of the goods. And you only have to cancel the order within the seven day period, not actually demonstrate that you returned the goods. So you have a full week to try the headphones out at home.

Of course, some dealers do offer longer trial periods, up to a month in some cases.

I agree that building up a relationship with one or two dealers is a good idea. However, if you limit yourself to a couple of dealers, you also limit yourself to a relatively narrow range of kit.

Another advantage of trial at home is that you can order more than one pair of 'phones at the same time and do a direct comparison. I wanted to compare Hifiman and Audeze, these being the two best regarded brands of planar/electrostatic 'phones in my price range. I couldn't find a local dealer who stocked both, but I did get to try both at home at the same time.

Matt

T

the record spot

Normally their site tells you if a Stock Enquiry applies if is limited or there's a delay over and above the two day usual.

Yes it's inconvenient, but I've not had a problem buying from either Superfi or Richer Sounds and both honour the Distance Selling Regulations. Not so with many of the online retailers who play fast and loose where it suits them. Peyer Tyson are good too.

matt49 said:
plastic penguin said:

Regardless of any returns policy, under Distance Selling regulations you still have the legal right to cancel the order up to seven days after receipt of the goods. And you only have to cancel the order within the seven day period, not actually demonstrate that you returned the goods. So you have a full week to try the headphones out at home.

Of course, some dealers do offer longer trial periods, up to a month in some cases.

I agree that building up a relationship with one or two dealers is a good idea. However, if you limit yourself to a couple of dealers, you also limit yourself to a relatively narrow range of kit.

Another advantage of trial at home is that you can order more than one pair of 'phones at the same time and do a direct comparison. I wanted to compare Hifiman and Audeze, these being the two best regarded brands of planar/electrostatic 'phones in my price range. I couldn't find a local dealer who stocked both, but I did get to try both at home at the same time.

Matt

That's true. But if you receive the item and don't like it, without a returns policy, the dealer could become 'shirty'. I alway maintain safety first: Find out whether a dealer has this policy in place - and how long (14 days, 30 and so on) - then this covers most issues. At least you can exchange without worrying about dealer awkwardness. It's just a little extra insurance I like to adopt.

Then again, it's about communication: Ask the dealer if you can return it if it doesn't suit your taste/system. If they're worth their sort this should pose no problems.

I normally have two dealers + another couple of additional onesin case of any contingencies.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
That's true. But if you receive the item and don't like it, without a returns policy, the dealer could become 'shirty'. I alway maintain safety first: Find out whether a dealer has this policy in place - and how long (14 days, 30 and so on) - then this covers most issues. At least you can exchange without worrying about dealer awkwardness. It's just a little extra insurance I like to adopt.

Then again, it's about communication: Ask the dealer if you can return it if it doesn't suit your taste/system. If they're worth their sort this should pose no problems.

I normally have two dealers + another couple of additional onesin case of any contingencies.

Agreed, that's the sensible approach. Always good to talk first.

Matt

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
Thompsonuxb said:
iamthegruffalo said:
Thompsonuxb said:
is it me or are there alot of people agitated, huffin & puffin and working themselves up into frenzy for no real reason?

Read one thread this evening were some fella could hear a crackle in his left speaker when using his remote ended up him selling his kit vowing never to buy the brand again..... :O

and now this ...o.k so your orders not in - Superfi are a solid group, the time you've taken to cancel your order wait for your money then go looking for the product elswhere will probably amount to the same period before your goods arrive ( plus I am sure Superfi would have supplied you with a fill in system till it came if you'd asked)......

all this huffin and puffin over nuthin.....prrrft...... :roll:

The point here is simple, they are advertising and or selling items they simply cannot supply within the time frame they quote at point of sale, that is a breach of contract.

I assume then that you are always calm

see, now you're huffin & puffin at me!

over the years I have dealt with superfi & Richersounds both are solid retailers and local to me so I will support them if I can. Now loads of company's advertise stock they may not have or due to demand ran out of just as you ordered yours its no big deal. I recall one online retailer doing this, advertising products at outrageously low prices (but mysteriously never in stock) to try and tie folk into purchasing - was tempted myself once, but instead took the advert to Superfi and while they did not match the price, they came close enough.

But seriously all the "I took a day off work...... its an outrage..... why I've never felt so annoyed..." , etc..... honestly, is that something to get worked up about, just wait... I mean c'mon.

I just don't understand why most people don't set their workplace as the delivery address. I can understand if it's a portacabin office on a building site, but for most offices and the like, I don't see the problem, plus you haven't had to take the day off.

Although I'd love to work at the place that let's you have a day off on less than 24 hour's notice.

Firstly, its rather difficult to get delivery to a Royal Naval Dockyard, unless its Naval stores, secondly I have a good boss and I can time manage my work, with my excellant colleagues.

Thank you for you generally useful cooment though

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Jonathan Evans said:
AlbaBrown said:

Its oh so easy to be morally superior or review/audition etc before purchase, thats not always so simple.

Locally to me, audio T do not stcock, sevenoaks had no stock.

I do not own a car

I work long hours etc

so on my down time, when I am not doing stuff at home, i like to relax

oh yes, I do tend to rely on reviews sometimes

I have extensively used both my local dealers to audions many items, thank you audio t portsmouth, your great, still love my cd player

so, summing up, stop being so condescending and thanks for your view, but its not totally well founded is it?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Had a similar experience with a different company. Order did not arrive and after a few attempts at contact they said their online stock counter was to blame.

Nevertheless I cancelled due to the fact they did not contact me.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
I would question the wisdom of spending in the region of twice as much money on the headphone amp as the phones. The AKG 551's are not particularly demanding in that they are quite sensitive and have a low impedance whilst the MF amp kicks out quite a lot of power and may be overkill. This might be a good time to have another think about what you're getting. You could be looking at the Sennheiser HD-650 or Hifiman HE-400 plus an amp like the o2 which is on sale from Epiphany acoustics for around £170 I think.

It obviously depends on how you want to integrate the phones with the rest of your system - have you tried the headphone out on the Roksan?

I would recommend taking a look here http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/ - Edd (quadpatch), whose blog it is, also posts a lot on the headphone forum here at WHFSV.

Oh, and yes I would be annoyed.

Thank you for your reccomends. As stated elsewhere I am going on reccomends here, for various resasons. I am using a computer as a source for spotify/sonos and for gaming to a lesser extent. I want heaphones for a wide range of musical tastes, no requirement for heavy bass, but i want detail and warmth, with an amp to match, i need a couple of line inputs, usb and rca if possibel.

I am now reading through noblehifi and thank you for that, I stand corrected and enlightened.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts