Would you be annoyed?

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Placed order for next day delivery with superfi for Musical Fidelity M1HPAP & AKG 551's, they failed to arrive, no email to say why. I duly cotacted Superfif, to be sent a wait email. Followed up next day with seven week delivery forecast.

Amazed and annoyed, if you have no stock, just say so and I wont order!

Annoyed, order cancelled, awaiting refund.

I intend to buy elsewhere, anyone know of reliable mail order firm?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I feel your annoyance. This has happened to me several times, and it's especially annoying if you've had to make special arrangements to be in.

I've heard good things about Peter Tyson.

Matt

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You are my personal advisor this week, thanks again.

Yes, I had to organise time off.

insult to injury

im sure this is not usual superfi behaviour, all the same annoying personally

jjbomber

I ordered the AKG 451s from Superfi in November. After a couple of days they emailed me to say they were out of stock and would I like the AKG 452s for the same price. As they should have been a tenner more, I duly agreed. So i was pleased with their service rather than annoyed.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
is it me or are there alot of people agitated, huffin & puffin and working themselves up into frenzy for no real reason?

Read one thread this evening were some fella could hear a crackle in his left speaker when using his remote ended up him selling his kit vowing never to buy the brand again..... :O

and now this ...o.k so your orders not in - Superfi are a solid group, the time you've taken to cancel your order wait for your money then go looking for the product elswhere will probably amount to the same period before your goods arrive ( plus I am sure Superfi would have supplied you with a fill in system till it came if you'd asked)......

all this huffin and puffin over nuthin.....prrrft...... :roll:

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
is it me or are there alot of people agitated, huffin & puffin and working themselves up into frenzy for no real reason?

Read one thread this evening were some fella could hear a crackle in his left speaker when using his remote ended up him selling his kit vowing never to buy the brand again..... :O

and now this ...o.k so your orders not in - Superfi are a solid group, the time you've taken to cancel your order wait for your money then go looking for the product elswhere will probably amount to the same period before your goods arrive ( plus I am sure Superfi would have supplied you with a fill in system till it came if you'd asked)......

The point here is simple, they are advertising and or selling items they simply cannot supply within the time frame they quote at point of sale, that is a breach of contract.

I assume then that you are always calm

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi iamthegruffalo :wave:

Firstly I have never ordered anything from Superfif so I cannot comment on their service.

Secondly to answer your thread question, yes I would also be annoyed if an item that I ordered for next day delivery did not turn up, especially if I had taken time off work to wait in, one thing was the delivery able to be tracked online as usually next day deliveries are done by couriers, did Superfif supply any information like this in an email.

Finally to answer your last question, I have ordered a few items with this company and not had any problems:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/

Having a quick check shows that they only do the Musical Fidelity headphone amp you are after and not the headphones but this gives you one option and maybe if you contact them they might be able to source the headphones or know of another mail order firm that does them.

Hope this helps.

:bounce:

No breach of contract really. They will supply said item just not immediately. Pretty poor advertisement for themselves as an internet enabled company.

Typical behaviour of high street store gone internet wide.

Always check item is in stock before ordering is my advice, having been caught out several times in the past.

I no longer look at this firm as a dealer for anything I require.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
iamthegruffalo said:
Thompsonuxb said:

The point here is simple, they are advertising and or selling items they simply cannot supply within the time frame they quote at point of sale, that is a breach of contract.

see, now you're huffin & puffin at me!

over the years I have dealt with superfi & Richersounds both are solid retailers and local to me so I will support them if I can. Now loads of company's advertise stock they may not have or due to demand ran out of just as you ordered yours its no big deal. I recall one online retailer doing this, advertising products at outrageously low prices (but mysteriously never in stock) to try and tie folk into purchasing - was tempted myself once, but instead took the advert to Superfi and while they did not match the price, they came close enough.

But seriously all the "I took a day off work...... its an outrage..... why I've never felt so annoyed..." , etc..... honestly, is that something to get worked up about, just wait... I mean c'mon.

A

Anonymous

iamthegruffalo said:
Musical Fidelity M1HPAP & AKG 551s

I would be slightly annoyed but probably wouldn't have cancelled. However, I think they have done you a favour.

I don't think you need spend as much money on the headphpne amplifier. What is your source by the way? If it's hifi, then try the headphones (which are supposed to be lean bass by the way) alone. Try and demo some amps.

If it's laptop or PC, then a decent DAC/amp combo can be had for far less. A Project, Graham Slee or Little Dot tube amp (all dedicated amps) may suffice. Aune X1 or Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 would be good DAC/amps to start with.

Do let us know what you do.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
iamthegruffalo said:
Thompsonuxb said:

see, now you're huffin & puffin at me!

over the years I have dealt with superfi & Richersounds both are solid retailers and local to me so I will support them if I can. Now loads of company's advertise stock they may not have or due to demand ran out of just as you ordered yours its no big deal. I recall one online retailer doing this, advertising products at outrageously low prices (but mysteriously never in stock) to try and tie folk into purchasing - was tempted myself once, but instead took the advert to Superfi and while they did not match the price, they came close enough.

But seriously all the "I took a day off work...... its an outrage..... why I've never felt so annoyed..." , etc..... honestly, is that something to get worked up about, just wait... I mean c'mon.

I just don't understand why most people don't set their workplace as the delivery address. I can understand if it's a portacabin office on a building site, but for most offices and the like, I don't see the problem, plus you haven't had to take the day off.

Although I'd love to work at the place that let's you have a day off on less than 24 hour's notice.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
iamthegruffalo said:
Musical Fidelity M1HPAP & AKG 551s

There an ex-demo one on ebay for £425 if you are still interested from a hifi dealer. If not plenty of other choices about. I might have a look at those hand made ones in Cornwall (NJC Audio).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
I just don't understand why most people don't set their workplace as the delivery address. I can understand if it's a portacabin office on a building site, but for most offices and the like, I don't see the problem, plus you haven't had to take the day off.

If you've ordered something bulky / heavy and go to work on the train (as quite a few do) this isn't very practical unfortunately.

Of course, it's okay for me, I work from home - why doesn't everybody just do that? :grin:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
And some companies won't delivery to different address from the card holder's address. How do you know what the buyers work is maybe a train driver for all we know?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I would question the wisdom of spending in the region of twice as much money on the headphone amp as the phones. The AKG 551's are not particularly demanding in that they are quite sensitive and have a low impedance whilst the MF amp kicks out quite a lot of power and may be overkill. This might be a good time to have another think about what you're getting. You could be looking at the Sennheiser HD-650 or Hifiman HE-400 plus an amp like the o2 which is on sale from Epiphany acoustics for around £170 I think.

It obviously depends on how you want to integrate the phones with the rest of your system - have you tried the headphone out on the Roksan?

I would recommend taking a look here http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/ - Edd (quadpatch), whose blog it is, also posts a lot on the headphone forum here at WHFSV.

Oh, and yes I would be annoyed.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not saying SuperFi are doing this but there's loads of unscrupulous companies out there who deliberately do not update their websites quickly enough and only tell you they're out of stock after you place your order and they have your money. Had this happen several times to me with various items. Not had to wait seven weeks though, that's out of order.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
iamthegruffalo said:
Placed order for next day delivery with superfi for Musical Fidelity M1HPAP & AKG 551's, they failed to arrive, no email to say why. I duly cotacted Superfif, to be sent a wait email. Followed up next day with seven week delivery forecast.

Amazed and annoyed, if you have no stock, just say so and I wont order!

Annoyed, order cancelled, awaiting refund.

I intend to buy elsewhere, anyone know of reliable mail order firm?

Did it say 'In Stock' for both Items on the website?

Did it say in your confirmation email that the order had been dispatched that day and delivery next day?

I would be annoyed if I had the confirmation of dispatch email and then taken a day off, and it not arrived.

Superfi are pretty good IME, I would recommend Frank Harveys (Hifix), IIRC they stock both MF and AKG.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I'd take the day off unless someone (human) had said it was actually on its way, so I assume that you weren't putting your faith in a completely automated system.

I've had this problem happen a few times (website doesn't say if something is out of stock until after I've pressed the Pay button).

Always worth a phone call to someone with a warehouse inventory right in front of them.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It happened to me several times where the website lets you buy something but then a few days later you get told they need to order it in. Days go by before you eventually get it.

The only reliable site for buying stuff is Amazon.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
It happened to me several times where the website lets you buy something but then a few days later you get told they need to order it in. Days go by before you eventually get it.

I made a fairly big order from Amazon a month or so ago. Got the dispached message. A few days later the order was cancelled "Undeliverable" and I was refunded.

I have ordered loads before and since, so this was somewhat of a glitch...

Moral...No mail order company is 100% reliable.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
wilro15 said:

Thats not true, plenty of other sites that are very reliable and tell you how many items are in stock before you order, also give you accurate delivery times, Amazon you don't know when they will turn up usual say between about 10 days. If not in stock there should an instant notification.

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Unless you don't have an actual dealer within reach (where you can actually hear the kit first - essential in my opinon!), Peter Tyson and Stone Audio seem to have a strong following.

But I still find it bizarre how so many people will order products online, for musical enjoyment, without auditioning first. Regardless of whether any publication (not just WHF!) have run a promotion, sorry review, on it.

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
AlbaBrown said:
I still find it bizarre how so many people will order products online, for musical enjoyment, without auditioning first. Regardless of whether any publication (not just WHF!) have run a promotion, sorry review, on it.

Agree on the auditioning front, Alba. We always say people should listen to kit before they buy if at all possible, and use us as a means of getting a shortlist together.

(Oh, and nice dig about our reviews. Very droll)

Jonathan Evans said:
AlbaBrown said:
I still find it bizarre how so many people will order products online, for musical enjoyment, without auditioning first. Regardless of whether any publication (not just WHF!) have run a promotion, sorry review, on it.

Agree on the auditioning front, Alba. We always say people should listen to kit before they buy if at all possible, and use us as a means of getting a shortlist together.

(Oh, and nice dig about our reviews. Very droll)

Lost count how many times I've banged on about either a shop or home audition on this forum. If some people are too lazy to find a local dealer, that's their problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts