Would any other speaker survive this?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Listening to Burial at near max volume last night. The bass "danced" the speaker off the shelf - it dropped about 7ft onto the ground making a hole in the carpet.

Put the cover back on and the cable back in and apart from some marking, it worked fine!

25ish year old Bose 301 - they don't make em like that any more!!

A

Anonymous

They certainly don't - they'd probaly design them better so that they wouldn't vibrate enough to move in the first place ;-)

A

Anonymous

Bass IS movement (of air at low frequencies) . So how do these magic speakers work then?!

It's the speaker shelf's fault anyway.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
yes. my cousin dropped a fairly ancient epos speaker (esl3?) down uncarpeted stairs, it put a dent in the cabinet but otherwise sounds the same (rubbish).

A

Anonymous

I thought speakers were designed to have a good sound, not to survive a plane crash.
emotion-6.gif

The 301 are not well built; a potato chip package has more weight than a 301.
emotion-14.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think he referred to them being the 25 year old 301's (Series II or earlier) which from the pics look more sturdy than the current series V.

I could be wrong never having owned a pair.

The only Bose equipment I have heard were an array of professional Bose speakers* at a small John Martyn gig in a hotel in Southsea back in (about) 1980-81. They sounded superb but I was very into John Martyn back then and it was a small venue and I was little awed at at being within a few metres of the man.

"Johnny too bad" never sounded better!

*Probably 802's

A

Anonymous

john martin! Zzolid air, great saw him in telford about about 10 years ago one of the best gigs ive been to

A

Anonymous

These speakers survived another drop about 20 years ago too. Small dent on one corner.

I've seen new 301s - they weigh about half as much and look much much weedier.

Anyway, I'm impressed - thought it was new speaker time!

A

Anonymous

AFAIK a truly good speaker will transmit little if any vibration through its cabinet... any energy a speaker creates should result in the movement of the drivers back and forth - not the cabinet!
that said, any speaker that can survive a 7ft drop must have something going for it...gravity?

A

Anonymous

Just had to screw the bass cone back in (only noticed it when I cranked it up, slight rattling) - and left the covers off. Something rather thrilling about watching real thumping bass moving a decent bass cone. Or is it me being sad?!

A

Anonymous

not sad - cone movement is a rather neat thing to see. the feel of the air pushed through the tuning ports is also rather nifty.

TRENDING THREADS