Would a DacMagic improve the streaming of napster files through SONOS?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks

I know that the stream you can get through the Napster service via Sonos isn't of the highest bitrate, and thus highest quality, but would the introduction of a dacmagic improve the sound? Either by upsampling or by being a higher quality DAC than is currently offered with the SONOS boxes?

Would the difference be worth the asking price of the dacmagic?

Although the napster service doesn't give you the audiophile experience, it works great for background music, parties, or tryin out the new releases before buying on cd. If a dacmagic would improve the quality then it would be a purchase i would strongly consider!

views / experiences please!

A

Anonymous

Although I'm a big fan of external DAC's, I just don't think it will make enough difference with streaming music to make it a worthwhile purchase because as you point out, the sound quality of Napster is a highly compressed bitrate so there just isn't enough there for it to work with. That being said, a Sonos system can also be used for streaming music from your computer and if you have a lot of music on your computer saved losslessly (or even in 320kpbs compressed) then the DacMagic could be a much more appealing option. Since you didn't mention it for that use however, I'm guessing that's not how you use it and for a strictly streaming (Napster) type use, the bitrates are just too low for it to be of much use in my opinion - you're often lucky to get 128kbps via streaming. Just my opinion obviously, and it couldn't do any harm from a glass is half full perspective, not sure it could make much, if any difference though for the money.

A

Anonymous

I would actually disagree with that, adding the DM will make a significant difference to such low quality music files. The question I asked before though was is your Sonos system internally amplified or does it plug into a separate amp?

I think if I was taking this route I would get the Beresford though. I doubt you will here the audible benefits the DM is supposed to bring over it with Napster stuff and it is almost half the price.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts