Worth upgrading from Kef Coda 7SE to B&W 685 S1?

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
I can get them maybe for £130-150 but I haven't listened to them at all.

I know they were quite expensive when they first came out and the S2 version is better but I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. I like the sound of the DM601 S2 a lot not sure if they're similar or better?

I currently own KEF Coda 7 SEs with a Yamaha RX-V377 so I'm trying to build a budget system around it.

manicm

Being a speaker 10 years younger, I would imagine the 685 S1 would have greater resolution.

I had the B&W 685 S1, and its soundstage, scale and clarity were unrivalled at the price. It had depth, width and height. It had great bass too , but a good amp with good bass control would help - otherwise the bass can appear 'loose'. It needs an amp with a bit of punch.

Reactions: mossi

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Being a speaker 10 years younger, I would imagine the 685 S1 would have greater resolution.

I had the B&W 685 S1, and its soundstage, scale and clarity were unrivalled at the price. It had depth, width and height. It had great bass too , but a good amp with good bass control would help - otherwise the bass can appear 'loose'. It needs an amp with a bit of punch.
I have the YAMAHA RX-V377 (previously owned the AX-396 which did ok with the KEFs). I think I have tried B&W DM601 S2s with the AX-396 many many years ago but I just remember they sounded good.

Thanks for letting me know about the 685s. I might take a punt at them. I'll get a chance to listen to them before I buy them as well.

Reactions: manicm

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Mossi,

B@W 685 S1 are for sure better than old Kef Coda 7SE. Even those Coda speakers are real legend, deserving special place in history of KEF. I have used some B@W speakers but never longterm. For 685 s1 I will recommend that you later look for better amp and may be source as well. BR.

Reactions: Al ears and mossi

Fandango Andy

I know they were quite expensive when they first came out and the S2 version is better but I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. I like the sound of the DM601 S2 a lot not sure if they're similar or better?

I currently own KEF Coda 7 SEs with a Yamaha RX-V377 so I'm trying to build a budget system around it.

On paper its an upgrade. However, all speakers have their own sound, you many or may not get on with the B&W's. Different speakers also perform differently depending on placement (B&W are often unforgiving of being too close to walls).

The trick with buying second hand is to only buy in good condition, and don't overpay, that way you can always sell them on without loosing out. I just looked them up, £150 looks top end for them with S2 starting at that price.

Is the Yamaha RX-V377 an AV amp? do you intend to us it in stereo, or 5.1? If you are thinking stereo, you can probably get a better sounding two channel amp for the price you can sell that for. if you are going multi channel, it may be worth looking at speakers where you can get a matching centre speaker.

twinkletoes

Just be really carful buying second hand B&W's they alway tend to a be a brand that seem to suffer from alot of damage, ask for close up images of the tweeter and driver. any creases in the tweeter no matter how small leave well alone.

They will be for sure an "upgrade" weather you like the sound or not is a different story which echos the above the stamens a little.

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Fandango Andy

Just be really carful buying second hand B&W's they alway tend to a be a brand that seem to suffer from alot of damage, ask for close up images of the tweeter and driver. any creases in the tweeter no matter how small leave well alone.

They will be for sure an "upgrade" weather you like the sound or not is a different story which echos the above the stamens a little.
I have noticed this too about B&W's. I was looking for a cheap pair of second hand speakers for my bedroom a few years back and all the second hand B&W's were trashed (or they were asking the price of new ones). I looked online when I saw this thread, there is a pair of 685 S1 on a well know auction site in very cosmetically poor condition.

twinkletoes

I have noticed this too about B&W's. I was looking for a cheap pair of second hand speakers for my bedroom a few years back and all the second hand B&W's were trashed (or they were asking the price of new ones). I looked online when I saw this thread, there is a pair of 685 S1 on a well know auction site in very cosmetically poor condition.
They're always absolutely ragged and as you say they fetch small fortunes, 602s2 selling for what they were when brand new in 03 they're just not worth it when you can get Kef 104/2 for very similar prices if not cheaper!! but kef of a certain vintage are the same.

In all honesty I just wouldn't touch the brand ( B&W ) second hand unless I could view them or they were coming from a dealer preowned with a 6month warranty

Last edited:

manicm

They're always absolutely ragged and as you say they fetch small fortunes, 602s2 selling for what they were when brand new in 03 they're just not worth it when you can get Kef 104/2 for very similar prices if not cheaper!! but kef are of a certain vintage are the same.

In all honesty I just wouldn't touch the brand ( B&W ) second hand unless I could view them or they were coming from a dealer preowned with a 6month warranty

Any 17 year old used speaker may have potential damage????

twinkletoes

I think you're generalising a bit. Any speaker is susceptible to damage.
Not at all, just look around on ebay, really not that hard to prove my point. 600 series fetch small fortunes and always very hard to find In good working order. crumpled cones, split tweeters are the most common.

Im fully aware a 20 year old speaker Is never going to be spotless but for the prices they're charging they need sound and look as they should. A chip on the box isnt going to ruin your day.

Lets run a quick search

The first thing to pop up!

585 quid low and behold, look crumpled bass drivers, but in otherwise good condition, overdriven leave well alone. Come on 600 quid with delivery/petrol/man with a van.

s-l1600.jpg

What can I get for 600 quid or less! kef referance 104/2 299 quid flawless for there age ! 2 second search found them straight away, I know what id rather buy. What did these retail for back in the day 2-3k the above 700-800quid I remember looking at them.

s-l1600-1.jpg

Next on the list

601's blown rubber on cones 150 quid they want, 150quid! they'll disintegrate as soon as you use them 10 quid all day long is all they're worth, you'll never find a replacement cone let along 2.

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 16.08.12.png

Im just scratching the surface there's 200 pages in this search I just run......

lets look at another brand.

Mission 700's, what are these 30 years old! immaculate 30 quid not even any rust on the woofer mounting bolts. 1 page searching for mission 700's all in good to amazing condition by the looks of it.

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 16.11.33.png

This is not a generalisation, page after page of B&W budget line speakers are in awful condition for what ever reason and people charging through the roof for them, the sad part is people are watching them and buying them. Sure they're are some diamonds in the rough but there few and fair between and because they know there in brilliant condition there prices are even higher. There just not worth it.

Ill repeat Its a brand unless bought from a dealer preowned to stay away from on ebay.

Thats the last ill say on the matter.

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
They're always absolutely ragged and as you say they fetch small fortunes, 602s2 selling for what they were when brand new in 03 they're just not worth it when you can get Kef 104/2 for very similar prices if not cheaper!! but kef of a certain vintage are the same.

So you're saying to stay away from B&W? I will be able to see them and test before I get them.

What's your view on Elac Debut B5.2?
I've started looking into them and they seem a very interesting proposition.

manicm

N
Not at all, just look around on ebay, really not that hard to prove my point. 600 series fetch small fortunes and always very hard to find In good working order. crumpled cones, split tweeters are the most common.

Im fully aware a 20 year old speaker Is never going to be spotless but for the prices they're charging they need sound and look as they should. A chip on the box isnt going to ruin your day.

Lets run a quick search

The first thing to pop up!

585 quid low and behold, look crumpled bass drivers, but in otherwise good condition, overdriven leave well alone. Come on 600 quid with delivery/petrol/man with a van.

View attachment 7413

What can I get for 600 quid or less! kef referance 104/2 299 quid flawless for there age ! 2 second search found them straight away, I know what id rather buy. What did these retail for back in the day 2-3k the above 700-800quid I remember looking at them.

View attachment 7416

Next on the list

601's blown rubber on cones 150 quid they want, 150quid! they'll disintegrate as soon as you use them 10 quid all day long is all they're worth, you'll never find a replacement cone let along 2.

View attachment 7414

Im just scratching the surface there's 200 pages in this search I just run......

lets look at another brand.

Mission 700's, what are these 30 years old! immaculate 30 quid not even any rust on the woofer mounting bolts. 1 page searching for mission 700's all in good to amazing condition by the looks of it.

View attachment 7415

This is not a generalisation, page after page of B&W budget line speakers are in awful condition for what ever reason and people charging through the roof for them, the sad part is people are watching them and buying them. Sure they're are some diamonds in the rough but there few and fair between and because they know there in brilliant condition there prices are even higher. There just not worth it.

Ill repeat Its a brand unless bought from a dealer preowned to stay away from on ebay.

Thats the last ill say on the matter.

You are generalising - and these are even OLDER speakers than the 685 Mk1 Range. The photos are of even older ranges.

I had the 685 Mk1 and sold them after 3 years because I moved to a smaller place. I didn't have a comeback.

I can look up any brand of 20 year old speakers in fleabay or wherever, and make the kind of sweeping generalisations you are.

Here's an increasingly known audio professional Youtuber who still has a perfect pair of 685 Mk1s.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS