worth to upgrade from 902i to BR2 ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm own MS 902i, and now I want to upgrade to higer sound quality, Monitor BR2 seem to better

I have some question about these speker

- if you were me, you will upgrade from 902i to.....?

- worth or not if I upgrade to Monitor BR2

- which speaker is the same class and more popular in your country

thanks for comments

A

Anonymous

It wouldn't be worth it to me in that the price difference between the two speakers is a Friday night out. You would be better looking at the next range up for both brands even if this means saving for a while. "Sidegrades" waste money.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="plasmaman"]
I'm own MS 902i, and now I want to upgrade to higer sound quality, Monitor BR2 seem to better

I have some question about these speker

- if you were me, you will upgrade from 902i to.....?

- worth or not if I upgrade to Monitor BR2

- which speaker is the same class and more popular in your country

thanks for comments

[/quote]

I haven't the 902i's but I have a pair of 902 Declaration and the much better 902 signature (which were a £200 , bigger version of the 902).
I like MA speakers, but the 'upgrade' from 902i to BR2 is probably not an upgrade. I found I had to spend quite a lot more to improve on my 902 Sigs (in the end I got some Dali Ikon 6) - I tried B&W 685 on the way and found them to be little better (in my system) than the 902Sigs.

I would suggest spending at least double for a proper upgrade.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Tend to agree. I would suggest that the next port up would be in the Epos M5i, MA RS1 or B&W 685 territory (basically, somewhere between £3-400) depending on taste. Even then, you might not find the differences that startling. Pop to a dealer , take along your 902i's and compare them. If you don't hear any worthwhile difference within your price range, thank the dealer for his time and tell him you will come back once you have saved a bit more.

Obviously whether you do the latter is up to you, but it's always a good excuse. I would avoid letting the dealer "just let you have a listen to these sir" if they are too far above your price level, as it can prove too tempting (my credit card is all too aware of this...
emotion-5.gif
)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
There are some really good deals to be had on the Quad 11l2 and 12L2s - i have just bought a pair of 12l2 for my second system to replace my 902is with my arcam kit. Much bigger sound and better sounstage, focus and stereo imaging,

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

if I decide to MS BR2, which amp is well match with BR2 !!!,

Cambridge 340ASE is a good choice?

many thanks

A

Anonymous

I use old receiver NAD 705, it seem to more warm, no detail in high, please advise me!!!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just to reiterate... the BR2 would be a waste. Save the money and buy a better amp than the 340. In fact if you are thinking along those lines you can pick up a decent £300+ amp instead... believe me that will be a FAR better upgrade than a needless speaker swap.
Maybe a Pioneer A-A6-J? (£350 richer sounds) , or a rather nice NAD C352CT from Superfi for £250!
IOr the usual suspect Marantz PM6002 (£200 richersounds)

A

Anonymous

Listen to Fr0g. He's absolutely right - pointless going to BR2 from what you have.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As fatboyslimfast states, your next decent jump in speaker quality is really the Monitor Audio RS1's. Also mentioned are the Quad 11L2's and 12L2's which are nicely reduced at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Apologies for jumping in.

But as someone on the point of handing over my hard earned cash for a pair of MS 902i's for a budget setup. would it be worthwhile considering MA BR2's or Quad 11L2's instead?

The general consensus is that migrating from 902's to BR2's isnt worth it. But is it worth starting with BR2's (or 11L2's) instead of MS 902i's?

Ta very muchly.

;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts