Worth the switch to Naim?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
empacher said:
plastic penguin said:
Clearly you are fairly content with your Brio-R, so is there a slight back-of-the-mind niggle or pure curiosity?

Good question PP. I am definitely happy with the Brio-R, but was speaking to a dealer (and have read some confirmation of this from others online including apparently Totem themselves) who said that Totem's and Naim's are particularly well suited. So yes it is more out of curiosity to see if I could get clearly noticeable improvements or if it will just be diminishing returns.

I also take your point (and busb's) that I could get more out of my speakers with a more powerful amp so that is in the back of my mind as well. I have to say that for my typical listening levels, I think the Brio-R is doing and fine job at driving my speaker. This wasn't the case with my previous speakers so i do know what it sounds like when the amp is struggling. Nonetheless, I am curious about this as well.

I blame this all on the forum effect, but fortunately I am still able to enjoy my music on my grail quest for kit perfection ;)

Tricky one - only you can really decide. A dem of a Naim amp is essential, especially if you're curious about Nait 5i. I've heard the 5i so many times with PMC, MA and MonoPulse speakers and it does need careful matching IMO.

Like you I've heard good things about Naim/Totem but not personally heard, and I wouldn't say go and buy. Have heard the Totem Arros with my Leema and it sounds terrific, however, you'll need to discover whether the Naim is worth the extra cash over the Rega.

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
pete321 said:
empacher said:
I blame this all on the forum effect, but fortunately I am still able to enjoy my music on my grail quest for kit perfection ;)

It sure is an expensive business being an audio-snob! :)

you know it!

and sadly it is the kids that suffer most as their educational fund is depleted.

There was a great internet clip of audiophiles around europe talking about their gear. The most memorable part for me was when one (Greek?) chap was asked how much it all costs. He replied 60,000 pounds i think. His wife was sitting beside him and clearly had no idea. It looked like she was going to pass out. Quite funny.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
empacher said:
plastic penguin said:
Clearly you are fairly content with your Brio-R, so is there a slight back-of-the-mind niggle or pure curiosity?

Good question PP. I am definitely happy with the Brio-R, but was speaking to a dealer (and have read some confirmation of this from others online including apparently Totem themselves) who said that Totem's and Naim's are particularly well suited. So yes it is more out of curiosity to see if I could get clearly noticeable improvements or if it will just be diminishing returns.

I also take your point (and busb's) that I could get more out of my speakers with a more powerful amp so that is in the back of my mind as well. I have to say that for my typical listening levels, I think the Brio-R is doing and fine job at driving my speaker. This wasn't the case with my previous speakers so i do know what it sounds like when the amp is struggling. Nonetheless, I am curious about this as well.

Tricky one - only you can really decide. A dem of a Naim amp is essential, especially if you're curious about Nait 5i. I've heard the 5i so many times with PMC, MA and MonoPulse speakers and it does need careful matching IMO.

Like you I've heard good things about Naim/Totem but not personally heard, and I wouldn't say go and buy. Have heard the Totem Arros with my Leema and it sounds terrific, however, you'll need to discover whether the Naim is worth the extra cash over the Rega.

I first heard Arros fed by Naim pre/power/CDP about five years ago in AudioT, Reading. To say that I was completely gobsmacked by the sound would be an understatement. AT also connected up other Totems but... I evenually bought a pair of Arros, then ATVII, then DAC, then amp!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts