Worth An Insurance Claim?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh, just great! We have just returned from a short break in Scotland. While we were away, the almost mother-in-law visited the house to do some cleaning for us. Somehow she managed to knock one of my precious ProAcs over! It fell over through the open doorway into the hallway – across the carpet rail and onto the tiled floor.

She was trying to clean the corner behind the speaker and "only touched it". To get it back upright, she had to enlist the services of our next door neighbour.

I have fired up the hi-fi system and given it a listen: there is nothing obviously wrong sonically at this point. However, there are now a range of marks, chips and scrapes on two sides. The wooden veneer on one corner is cracked. I suppose it is a tribute to the build quality that the damage is superficial and only obvious when you look for it.

So, the question is: should I be considering an insurance claim on the house contents cover? I am reasonably sure we opted for ‘accidental damage’ cover, although I don’t even recall, off-hand, what the excess might be.

The onward sale value of these speakers has taken a bad knock (assuming I do, at some point, decide to move on) and the shine taken off what was a really pleasant holiday. Of course, the guilty party has apologised profusely, but there is not much else she can do – at least she had the courage to give me a call this morning.

I think I should repeat an earlier statement made on another thread: should have stayed with the ice hockey pucks! "Happy Easter 2011, ESP."

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
As you point out you will have to pay the excess and don't forget that your premiums will go up in the ensuing years because you have made a claim, so really its a case of balancing the cost of damage against the excess and increased premium charges.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I feel your pain (wincing as I write)

Insurance Cos are all different as to how they view this sort of thing, and the penalties/excesses they impose for claiming.

They could for instance, say that the speaker is still functioning perfectly and walk away; or they might pay for a repair (less excess) and then put your premium up for the next 3 years.

I think it most unlikely they will give "new for old" without penalty, especially as your speaker hasn't been "written off".

Can you get a price for repair from Proac, and then see if the penalty is worth it?

Cno

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
ESP, sorry to hear about your speaker. First thing I would do is speak to Proac to see about repair cost. I don't think I would go down the insurance route, especially as the speaker is not faulty and it is cosmetic damage only. I would probably bite the bullet and live with it. In a positive way, at least the speaker still sounds great!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, folks. On balance, I am inclined to 'suck it up' and accept that "accidents do happen". Yes, as far as I can tell, the damage is external and cosmetic only, for which I can be grateful. The hassle and expense of any repair of superficial damage will probably outweigh any satisfaction from my insurance company. Now, if it had been a truly catastrophic level of damage, perhaps I wouldn't even have asked the question on the forum. Vented my spleen, maybe, but not bothered with the question. Of course, any further advice is welcome. In the meantime, maybe I will get in touch with ProAc and also check my policy details.

The culprit is obviously very sorry, but probably doesn't fully realise what is involved. However, she has certainly been worrying more than a little for the past few days. Interestingly, the OH didn't leap to her mother's defence, knowing fairly well what the selection process involved and also what I spent on them. She did, however, enquire as to whether I could replace just the one. Practicable? Hmmmm.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Further advice as follows:

Donate damaged speaker to "Thora The Ferret". Now as landlady of her own "panic room", she will have no inclination to squat in yours. ;)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
smiley-laughing.gif

Yeah, the little blighters are now back from their hols, too, and ready to rock - I am seriously considering going back to those hockey pucks this morning!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts