Worth adding Rotel RB-06 to current set-up?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

First post here, though I read the mag and visit the site quite frequently.

Current set-up is Rotel RA-02 integrated amp; RCD-02 Cd Player and Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers (and a B&O t/table). Actually bought the speakers first as my old ones had given up after many years of abuse!

Room I listen in is about 5m x 4m. The whole set-up sounds great with music that is more 'acoustic' in its nature - e.g. Norah Jones, but I think its missing some drive and deep bass when playing rock etc. The bass that comes out of the Silver 8's is fast, taut and controlled but it seems to lack something.

I'm thinking of adding a Rotel RB-06 power amp to the set-up to help drive the speakers more - any views on what that would actually do?

I don't want to lose the sound that the system delivers but want to add the missing X.

Great site.

Cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I assume you are talking about bi-amping your speakers.

Dont bother with it, the difference it will make, if any, is small and not worth the outlay. My advise is to slowly upgrade your whole system starting probably with a cyrus 8 if you want to go mainstream and add the matching player in due course when you have the funds.

A

Anonymous

The RS8s are begging for strong amp control. I'm in a similar position as to whether to bother with the power amp or to replace. I have humble RS1s so will wait and upgrade the amp to something like the Primare I30. If I had RS8s I'd be tempted to get the power to fill in the gap, even if I had RS6s. You can pick one up off eBay for £200 and they will def add something. If you like the sound you could even monobloc later on!

I used to biamp with Arcam 8's and the addition of a power made a big difference. Better handle on the bass, more bass, taughter bass, cleaner sound, just better!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]I used to biamp with Arcam 8's and the addition of a power made a big difference. Better handle on the bass, more bass, taughter bass, cleaner sound, just better![/quote]

Ignore him. Waste of money. Your Rotels, good budget stuff, is just that. You are moving sidewards with no obvious gain in performance and trowing money at it in the process.

Time to move to the next level.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I added two RB-03s to my RA-01 running them as Monoblocks and I noticed a difference. My music has better seperation and far better stereo imaging. It didn't improve the bass that much though.

Best thing I would suggest is go and have a listen at your local dealer and make up your own mind. It doesn't matter what other people think, it's your ears that matter!

Simon.

A

Anonymous

You can ignore me but you have indeed come onto a forum to canvass for opinions. It will def make a difference but it's whether it's good enough for you to justify the outlay. I'd def upgrade the amp if you can afford it but you'd clearly need to spend considerably more than 200 quid. If 200 meets the bill then try the biamping.

An RA02 on RS8s seems rather modest to me! What is it, 40W? The RA03 at 70W seemed too modest on the RS8s when I tried them too!

Do you like the Rotel sound?

A

Anonymous

Hi all

Thanks for the replies - you're right - I did ask to canvas responses.

I do like the Rotel sound. We moved house last year and the system is now set-up much better than previously so I probably notice the shortcomings more than I did before.

Not sure I want to really upgrade to a better (more expensive amp) etc. but was hoping the power amp would just add more weight overall.

As I said, its not missing much but I do feel that the speakers are capable of more than the amp can deliver.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts