World Music on vinyl

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I find myself wandering into world music territory due to being disillusioned with all that NME currently have to offer. Im liking a lot of Latin, Brazilian and Far Eastern sounds but where is the vinyl ? Ive searched and found next to nothing on vinyl only CD. Its disappointing, does anyone know anyone selling new World Music on vinyl on any decent largish scale ?

Hope someone can help.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't think much new world music comes out on vinyl. The new Tinariwen LP did for one and Soul Jazz did an album of Haitian drumming that came out on vinyl last year...

There are quite a few labels that reissue what might be called "world music" on vinyl: Honest Jons (also new releases), Sublime Frequencies (also new releases), Soundway, Mississippi... Finders Keepers do some, Now Again do a few bits... Much of this tends to be at the funkier and of things - Fela Kuti's back catalogue has been reissued more than once for example.

Check out some of those labels and the Honest Jons website for starters.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Still off work . . . back tomorrow I think. So some needle time again this after noon:

Loretta Lynn

Alison Moyet

The Pentagon

two very early Simon and Garfunkles; Sound of Silence and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme

Big Daddy, (early rock group held captive for 24 years)?

Cappella Nova

Bill Bruford, Earthworks

Midnite Follies, Jungle Nights in Harlem

Phew, I did not realise how much I had listened to. Finally, I got out Gerry Rafferty, 'City to City', a classic in that it has 'Baker street' on it. The rest of the album I've generally ignored . . . Today, the new TT/cartridge set up really got to grips with the recording, talk about 'tingle'. Good enough to turn it over, the second side is IMHO, even better, especially tracks 2 and 5. The piano is so powerful on 'Whatever's written in your Heart', and the backing singers, Barbara Dickson and Joanna Carling, are perfect. Track 5, 'Waiting for the Day', has a guitar rift I cant wait to hear again . . . This is one for another airing at Horlicks hour . . .

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts