World Cup Sound

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
To be honest I've found the surround effects on BBC HD channels to be a bit too loud and almost masking the commentary at times! But of course it still beats ITV's standard stereo sound.

Rather surrounds being "too loud" and developing that real feel, the commentators are the commentators and some of the garbage that does come out of their is probably best left unheard anyway

if you were at the game/event/match, all you would have is surround sound effectively

I thought a good effort from the BBC, does seem they've carried the same ethos into Wimbledon with improved surround sound, I really enjoy the atmospherics rather than a 2D front wall

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
But the BBC's 5.1 sound in sporting events is always spoiled by the fact that they refuse to use the centre channel. They put commentary and pundits in the left and right channels, and when you are used to dialogue being anchored in the centre speaker it sounds weird. The sound on Sky's football has the commentary and studio chat in the centre,and all the crowd noise in the other 4 speakers, and it sounds much better.

The BBC made a complete pig's ear of the 5.1 in their Olympics coverage, so I don't have much faith in the sport department's sound people.

daveh75

grdunn123 said:
Would be good to have theoption to turn off the commentary altogether and just watch and hear the game as you would if you were in the stadium.

Some European broadcasters offer a stadium audio track. It would be great if they done this in the UK.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
The BBC made a complete pig's ear of the 5.1 in their Olympics coverage, so I don't have much faith in the sport department's sound people.

[/quote]

Thats because the people they hire just have a qualification on paper. most of them are not even sports enthusiasts or football enthusiasts so they have no on-hand or physical knowledge about the game itself. They just have technology available and apply it according to what they studied.

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
From the Olympics 5.1 debacle I have to conclude that they don't have ears either. Left and right channel were busy enough but the centre and rears just had a very faint bleed of sound coming out. Nobody who heard that could have possibly thought it was correct. I contacted the BBC at the time and got some generic email back telling me that my equipment was probably set up wrongly. Other emails went unanswered. Hopeless.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Just to balance these comments about the BBC, I thought that the 5.1 sound for Belgium v USA was outstanding and contributed to what was, of course, a memorable match.

wolf7howl

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I am in the yes camp for BBC 5.1 sound. A bit of left and right for the studio pundits to match the layout give more reality to the conversations rather than everything coming from the centre. I hope this becomes the norm for all OB events.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts