Without a doubt: Which TV is the best in quality in size 40/42 inch (or bigger)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Andrew,

When u say Pioneer outperforms most of the full HD sets! can you please tell me one make/model which outperforms Pioneer 428XD in Full HD test. I will be surprised if you will answer this
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

jj. honestly. just go and look at the pioneer in a showroom but make sure it's been set up properly. most ps3 games are only hd ready, ie: 720p so full hd is no use to you there anyway. secondly, 42inch in simply too small to see the diff between 720p and 1080p on. does look slightly crisper on a 50inch pioneer but not on a screen at 42. also tallyho clearly has issues with pioneer as he always says they areoverated. my best mate has a panasonic plasma and it does not hold a candle to my pioneer. pioneer are expensive for a reason in this case, they are the best!! forget sony lcd's, they are ok in small sizes :ie 32inch for the bedroom or kitchen. try watchinh fast moving sport on an lcd. it's rubbish. if you really want home cinema then you could always get a small lcd for tv viewing and a hd ready projector for fils and games. this is what i have at home. i watch tv and play games on my pioneer and films on the pj.
my partner watches films on blu ray during the day on the pioneer and they look great too. honestly go and look at one, pref with a high def source.
if you go on pioneers website you can read a paper detaling a study showing how plasma beats lcd in all aspects. you can download it at their site. you can also find quotes from pioneer owners on how they rate these televisions.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'll just add to what Clare and Andrew (and many others) have already said: don't get hung up on the specs, check out the performance and picture quality. On that score, the Pioneer is the best buy. Period.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="quasibongo"]most ps3 games are only hd ready, ie: 720p so full hd is no use to you there anyway.[/quote]

Very good point I had forgotten - yup, actually very few Xbox 360 and PS3 games so far are in 1080p (some Xbox titles claim to be, but are actually being upscaled by the machine, so therefore not true 1080p making it hard to tell). I read a review with one developer saying, although it's possible to put games in 1080p hardware wise, getting the game to run at a decent framerate is very difficult, hence why there are so few at the moment. This could of course change in the future as developers get to grips with the machines...!

A

Anonymous

Guys, thx for all the nice respones. One thing I cannot agree is that a LOT and I mean A LOT OF GAMES these days for the XBOX 360 en PS3 are fully 1080p compatible. Not just a few, but DOZENS. Really I am talking no ********; but from what I have understand, 720P or 1080P, will not make a very big difference?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi JJ,

Can you let me know which PS3 games you know are 1080p? Or are you saying they are 'compatible' because they play on a full HD 1080p TV?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Hello, they are really fully 1080P not just compatible, but maybe I am wrong. Here is a list I got from a website:

Native 1080p games available for the Xbox 360 include the following 3 titles:

[native 1080p] Boogie Bunnies [Xbox Live Arcade]
[native 1080p] Street Home Court
[native 1080p] Virtual Tennis 3

Box advertised 1080p games available for the Xbox 360 include the following 35 total titles. Purists will view native 1080p as the best possible resolution, not 720p titles upscaled to 1080p. The titles below show 1080p on the back of the game boxes but have not been confirmed by third party sources as being native 1080p.

A (2)
All Pro Football 2K8
Armored Core 4

B (4)
Battlefield 2 (Platinum Hits)
The Bigs
new! Bioshock
Bullet Witch

C (3)
Call of Duty 3
Call of Juarez
Command & Conquer 3

D (2)
Dead or Alive 4 (Platinum Hits)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe

F (2)
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fight Night Round 3

G (1)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

H (3)
Harry Potter
new! Halo 3
Hour of Victory

I (1)
Icon

M (2)
Meet The Robinsons
Monster Madness Battle for Suburbia

N (2)
NCAA 08 Football
NCAA 07 March Madness

O (1)
Overlord

P (1)
Pirates of the Carribean

R (2)
Ratatouilio
Rayman Raving Rabbit

S (5)
Saints Row
Shadowrun
Spiderman 3
Superman Returns
Surf's Up

T (2)
Tetris Evolution
new! Two Worlds

U (1)
UEFA Championship Soccer

V (1)
Vampire Rain

Playstation 3 list:
Native 1080p games available for the Playstation 3 (not upscaled PS1 and PS2 titles) include the following 26 titles:

A (1)
All Pro Football 2K7

B (1)
[ps] Blast Factor

C (2)
[ps] Calling All Cars
College Hoops 2K7

D (1)
The Darkness

F (3)
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
[ps] flOw
Full Auto 2 Battlines

G (0)

H (2)
Harry Potter
[ps] High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition

I (0)

J (0)

K (0)

L (1)
[ps] LocoRoco Cocoreccho!

M (2)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
[ps] MesmerizeT: Distort (Playstation Eye)
MLB The Show

N (3)
NBA '07
NBA 2K7
Ninja Gaiden

O (0)

P (4)
Pirates of the Carribean
[ps] PixelJunkT Monsters
[ps] PixelJunkT Racers
[ps] Piyotama

R (0)

S (2)
Street Home Court
[ps] Super Stardust HD

T (2)
Transformers The Movie
[ps] Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

U (0)

V (1)
Virtua Tennis 3

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I can only find 4 games that are 1080p on the PS3 although there are loads on the XBox 360. I didn't realise any games for the PS3 were 1080p or 1080i and thought they were all 720p.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Quite a few of the 1080p PS3 (and XBox) games are available from the respective stores (i.e. PS Store and Marketplace). These are generally not "full" games as I would classify them, reflected by how much they cost. They do still count obviously, but generally I would question whether the graphics used in a lot them really require the full 1080p (perhaps why they can be made 1080p? - who knows?). Obviously some exceptions like fl0w which is beautiful (though a little repetitive after a few hours!). The latest releases in the shops are still mostly 720p (Burnout Paradise for example, which still looks stunning in 720p!).

I'm also still dubious on the XBox games. A load of mine say 1080p output on the back of them, but I know for a fact that the XBox upscales these, so they're not actually "native" 1080p.

A

Anonymous

thank you david for this good sense. I want to end my shopping around misery and you may just have done it for me!

Ronnie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts