Wireless tech & Arcam DACs?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Not sure which forum this is best off in.

I read today that the rCube has no internal DAC. Just wondering if anyone knows how the Clear technology works over wireless then?

I don't know a lot about this, as is about to become clear, but surely if there's no DAC in the rCube, the signal sent from the Clear dongle on your iPhone would have to be in some analogue format, in which case, how come they are able to use the same technology on the rDac, which obviously by its very nature is set up to receive the wireless signal as a digital stream, so that it can then do its DAC thing... if that makes any sense at all?

Anyone any clearer than I am on whether the rCube has a DAC or not?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

The Kleer tech is digital so there will be digital to analogue convertion for this. You may have read that the rCube does not use a DAC for the docking section, Arcam chose to take the analogue feed from whatever iOS device is docked.

John Anderson - Audiovisual Online

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for this.

So does that mean there is a DAC in the rCube, but only for the wireless streaming side of things?

I'm surprised that, if so, Arcam decided to take the analogue feed from the dock, since surely pretty much any old chip they might throw in to the cube could offer improvements over that which your idevice is toting? Especially since, as I understand it from anecdotal evidence, Apple's portables lack a little in this department compared to, say, Creative's.

cheers.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I hate Apple with a firey passion but the iPhone DAC seems to be pretty good to me. Not in hifiman HM-801 league of course, not even Cowon but not half bad. But yeah your point still stands and I imagine it has to do with Apple charging a lot of money for the digital unlock codes, although if it can stream it do they have to pay this already? I imagine streaming is a different ball game.

A

Anonymous

Not totally sure why Arcam went the analogue route with the rCube dock, but it is worth considering that it does make the rWand a much more appealing product for the quality conscious...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts