Wireless streaming

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I don't have a setup for streaming to my HiFi. It hasn't bothered me that much as not even 10% of my music collection are on itunes. But lately I have been considering adding the option but don't want to spend more than a 100. Now I can add airport express and stream it using the WiFi or Arcam miniBlink (tempted after the WHF review) and stream via bluetooth.

What do you guys suggest?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd go with the Apple TV because AirPlay streams losslessly and it would allow the addition of a better DAC. It also lets you use apps like the Apple Remote app to control the music.

Then again, the Arcam is probably much simpler and you might prefer it if you want to put convenience ahead of sound quality.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thank you for the suggeston. Apple TV did cross my mind but the fact that I "have to" buy a DAC put me off (My amp does not take digital inputs). I have never used airport express, but from what I understand, it has a built in DAC and a 3.5mm to RCA would do the trick.

iMark

I would suggest to get an Apple Airport Express if you just want to stream audio. It comes with a DAC but also has a digital optical output so you could connect it to a more expensive DAC at a later stage.

I have the previous model of the Airport Express and have it connected to a Cambridge Audio DACMagic. The DAC in the Airport Express is not great but it could be that the DAC in the current model is better.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks. Just a quick google search of the airport express image did not reveal an optical out. I can see 2 lan ports, one USB (I have been told thats for the printer) and one 3.5mm out. Maybe a stupid question but how did you connect your AE to the DAC?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Apologies, I just didn't read your post properly The Airport Express will also allow you to stream losslessly and add a better DAC if you want.

TRENDING THREADS