Wireless iPad receiver

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an old Marantz Amp which I would like to setup to receive Internet Radio/itunes etc from my iPad.

I believe the best way would be to plug in a receiver (assuming this is possible with older equipment) ?

I would like one which doesnt require batteries and recharging, and would like to keep the budget down.

Any suggestions please?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, assuming you mean RCA phono connections, you'd need a 3.5mm to RCA phono cable like this. That would get you up and running, and there are obviously varying quality leads at various prices.

For an upgrade in sound quality, if you ever wanted to try in the future, you could also consider an external DAC, which also come at various prices. You would then output via a standard digital opitcal cable with mini-TOSlink converter on one end (like this) - the mini-TOSlink would connect into the Airport Express and the standard optical connection to the DAC. The DAC would then connect into the Marantz with standard phono leads.

But no need for the external DAC to get up and running as the Airport has one built in.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
professorhat said:
Yes, assuming you mean RCA phono connections, you'd need a 3.5mm to RCA phono cable like this. That would get you up and running, and there are obviously varying quality leads at various prices.

For an upgrade in sound quality, if you ever wanted to try in the future, you could also consider an external DAC, which also come at various prices. You would then output via a standard digital opitcal cable with mini-TOSlink converter on one end (like this) - the mini-TOSlink would connect into the Airport Express and the standard optical connection to the DAC. The DAC would then connect into the Marantz with standard phono leads.

But no need for the external DAC to get up and running as the Airport has one built in.

Thank you very much.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
audioaffair said:
Arcam do the rBlink, which uses bluetooth connectivity, and sounds amazing - however its £160 not sure if this is in budget or not?

Thank you for that but price on the Airport Express is better.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Although you can use Bluetooth from an ipad, it's not compatible with the higher quality Apt-x bluetooth standard, so the low bit-rate's going to affect the resulting sound pretty badly.

If you have an ipad, it's better to stick with Airplay through the Airport Express. I use Airplay for Spotify and am quite pleased with the results.

or if you're feeling especially flush, there's always Arcam's £400 AirDAC that combines Airplay in a DAC.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I had an Airport Express which was great, however do not discount an Apple TV which you can pick up for roughly the same price and get all the added functions chucked into the hat.

That's what I did and I am far happier for the slight increase you pay.

Airplay via an ipad works brilliantly plus you get more options to play with.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
psurquhart said:
I had an Airport Express which was great, however do not discount an Apple TV which you can pick up for roughly the same price and get all the added functions chucked into the hat.

That's what I did and I am far happier for the slight increase you pay.

Airplay via an ipad works brilliantly plus you get more options to play with.

The issue with the Apple TV is it only has a digital output, so the OP would also have to purchase an external DAC to work with his amplifier. The Airport Express will work straight out of the box.

It's worth considering if the other features are of interest though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts