Wilmslow Audio WA HB1 speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Long term readers will know of my soft spot for older speaker cabinet proportions (wider than deep and sealed) that existed before WAF and tiny living rooms started dictating fashions.

I have a mint / boxed pair of JPW Sonatas (with new tweeters) that sound excellent but I only have them as spares stored in a cupboard. I got thinking about the Wilmslow Audio WA HB1 and HB2 speakers. (Available as kits or completed builds.) They are, apparently, very faithful versions of the original Heybrook designs even using the original drive units where possible.

The HB1s passed me by 1st time around (I was probably using AR18s at the time). Can anyone comment on them nowadays? Even better, is anyone using the modern Wilmslow Audio versions?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For further info, they may end up being used with a Quad Vena integrated amp/DAC. (45watts per channel class A/B)

Given that the HB1s are 90dB @ 8 Ohms I can't foresee any problems at my preferred low-moderate volume levels.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
A pair of HB1's with new rubber surrounds in Cornwall, pickup only (ebay).

Thanks, but i'd prefer something made to order with brand new finish and components. (And my choice of veneer.)

Also, I prefer to have the item posted to me rather than make a 450 mile round-trip :)

chebby said:
Vladimir said:
A pair of HB1's with new rubber surrounds in Cornwall, pickup only (ebay).

Thanks, but i'd prefer something made to order with brand new finish and components. (And my choice of veneer.)

Also, I prefer to have the item posted to me rather than make a 450 mile round-trip :)

Good point. How much are the Wilmslow HB1 kits? Might be interested in a pair myself.

I had an original pair when they first started producing them, I lived in Plymouth at the time where the factory was. They were and still are a class act. Knew a bit about loudspeaker design did that Mr. Comeau. I kept mine until upgrading to the HB3's. I recall the HB2's were not as highly regarded.

If the Wilmslow versions are a true copy then I would consider them a bit of a no-brainer , if you're after something that size. The fact you can customize to some degree even better. Buy with confidence I would say.

I'm off to do a bit of research on them now. :)

......under £500? Go for it!

Think I 'll have them in maple to match my rack.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
thumbs_up.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alas I have found a bit of 'weirdness' going on.

A JPW AP2 thread on Pink Fish Media has unearthed a lovely clear picture as follows ...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/pure_sound/AP2swithnewdrivers.jpg

At the same time the Wilmslow Audio web page for their WA HB1s has the very same picture of the JPWs purporting to be their HB1s ...

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/wa-hb1-loudspeaker-2125-p.asp

... but with the JPW badges 'disappeared'.

Odd.

Why can't Wilmslow Audio use a photo of their own product?

I'll call them in the morning to clarify.

chebby said:
I'd be more confident if it were a photo of their own product.

So would I. However the size and drivers used appear correct. A speaker kit cannot, by its very nature, be identical to what it is supposed to emulate.

I'd seriously question the crossover construction as this makes or breaks a speaker.

With JPW Speakers being made in Saltash I am not surprised with similarities to original Heybrook as the new Heybrook speakers are made in the same facility and some of the staff are ex Heybrook.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
All you need to do is have slightly different cabinet bracing and slightly different MDF, to get different timbre.

And there are also the obvious differences due to size, drivers and crossovers.

Heybrook HB1

Frequency Response: 42Hz to 20kHz

Dimensions: 470 x 290 x 230mm

Weight: 8kg

Wilmslow HB1

Frequency Response: 30Hz to 30kHz

Dimensions: 430 x 295 x 280mm

Weight: 7kg

Will they sound same as the HB1s? I doubt it. They really are a different speaker, just HB1 themed, like a cover band.

Vladimir said:
All you need to do is have slightly different cabinet bracing and slightly different MDF, to get different timbre.

And there are also the obvious differences due to size, drivers and crossovers.

Heybrook HB1

Frequency Response: 42Hz to 20kHz

Dimensions: 470 x 290 x 230mm

Weight: 8kg

Wilmslow HB1

Frequency Response: 30Hz to 30kHz

Dimensions: 430 x 295 x 280mm

Weight: 7kg

Will they sound same as the HB1s? I doubt it. They really are a different speaker, just HB1 themed, like a cover band.

If those original HB1 specs are right I would suggest Winslow are at fault. Bearing in mind there have been several rejuvinations of the HB1 name. If you want buy the original speakers and renew the transducers.

chebby said:
Long term readers will know of my soft spot for older speaker cabinet proportions (wider than deep and sealed) that existed before WAF and tiny living rooms started dictating fashions.

I have a mint / boxed pair of JPW Sonatas (with new tweeters) that sound excellent but I only have them as spares stored in a cupboard. I got thinking about the Wilmslow Audio WA HB1 and HB2 speakers. (Available as kits or completed builds.) They are, apparently, very faithful versions of the original Heybrook designs even using the original drive units where possible.

The HB1s passed me by 1st time around (I was probably using AR18s at the time). Can anyone comment on them nowadays? Even better, is anyone using the modern Wilmslow Audio versions?

Chebby, I know this sounds a real anal question but....

Have you thought about phoning Wimslow up and asking if they have a dem pair of HB1 or 2 you could blag for a few days?

Don't know their set-up, but if they have a small showroom or reception area they may have a pair lurking around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts