Will this improve Standard def?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Will I get a better SD picture on an LCD/Plasma TV if I upgrade my standard Sky box to an HD one, but don't subscribe to the HD service? I know that sounds daft, but there is no way I'm paying the subscription prices for the amount of HD channells on offer at the moment - I'd just like to know if the SD pictures would be better through an HDMI lead?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i second the above. i had hoped freesat might force them to drop the subscription, but it looks unlikely, as ive heard little that would make a sky subscriber move to freesat thus far. pity.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
In theory the HDMI connection will give a slightly better picture.The Sky HD box will also upscale SD to 720p or 1080i and may do a better job of scaling than your TV.You also get the BBC and C4 HD channels free even without the subscription.To be honest I think the Sky HD subsciption is only good value at the moment if you watch a lot of sport and/or films and take Sky's full package. There is too much repetition on most of the other channels to justify the cost and you won't get any channels which are not in your current package anyway.

A

Anonymous

I dont think the Sky box is that good at upscaling.

The Virgin V+ box gets good comments, but not Sky+.

A

Anonymous

the sky HD box wont upscale SD to 720 or above.... it will only show 720 or 1080 on HD channels (im pretty sure)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
http://whathifi.com/forums/p/4230/23861.aspx#23861 Sorry dont know how to paste a hyperlink. interesting reading and, imo, can be sumarised as "nobody knows".

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It'll upscale, but not brilliantly - we find it's best to set it to automatic and let your TV (or receiver, if it offers this capability) do the upconversion.

But, as mentioned above, if you're a sports and/or movies fan, Sky HD is superb - more channels and choice added all the time. (Oh, or a sci-fi nut, cos Sky One's full of that!)

We've heard plenty of rumours, BTW, of Sky HD price-cuts to come - as soon as those rumours turn into facts, we'll report them....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

It'll upscale, but not brilliantly - we find it's best to set it to automatic and let your TV (or receiver, if it offers this capability) do the upconversion.

But, as mentioned above, if you're a sports and/or movies fan, Sky HD is superb - more channels and choice added all the time. (Oh, or a sci-fi nut, cos Sky One's full of that!)

We've heard plenty of rumours, BTW, of Sky HD price-cuts to come - as soon as those rumours turn into facts, we'll report them....

[/quote]

I'm interested in any rumours Clare as I'm on the verge of ordering a HD box, so if it means holding on for a couple of weeks......

Is it anything about the box price itself or the £10 p/m fee.

I know you said only rumours but as you've mentioned it its probably as good as fact.

A little hint would be well recieved

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts