Will these suit my requirements?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What Hi Fi team and members,

You may recall that I have asked a few questions on this forum in regards to setting up a small HiFi system.

My initial feelings were towards all-in-box system with small speakers - like Solo Mini or Myryad MI, etc, with Dali Lektor? - but then I started to read more about systems with amplifiers built-in, which might be even neater!

I could use either my laptop or the CDs for the "source", but in reality I probably use the laptop a little more. My wife and I use iTunes, and own a Macbook Unibody and Macbook Pro (Intel), respectively.

Anyway, today I read this on AVI's website:

"We are offering a limited number of Neutron 5 speakers available with bolt on Amp-Pak amplifiers at bargain prices. Take a look at the Neutron 5 page for this amazing offer now."

Questions:

WILL THESE BE ALL I NEED IF USING A LAPTOP AS A SOURCE?

ARE THEY COMPARABLE TO SOLO MINI WITH LEKTOR 1?

Considering the price I am tempted to risk a purchase.

I have yet to "audition" anything as I work long hours. To be honest I'm not a big hobbyist on all of this stuff. I just want a good sound and for the living room to not be dominated.

Taylor

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
They look to be great value don't they! I understand your nerves in making a blind purchase. I've just done so on the Neutron 5s bigger brothers. I was brave as AVIs products seem to attract only praise- for the money the neutron 5s / Amp pak bundle should be unbeatable (if they match in reality the buzz on the internet). Then maybe you have enough room left for a Beresford DAC/Pre to round it off nicely.

A

Anonymous

Mike,

What do you mean by:

"Then maybe you have enough room left for a Beresford DAC/Pre to round it off nicely."

Also, does anybody have any input about the amplifiers being 100w compared to lower outputs from the all in one systems I am considering?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Taylor

The Beresford DAC/PRE I was referring to is the Beresford TC-7520. This is an external DAC and preamplifier that will offer you a big boost in audio quality from just using your PC to output an analogue signal to your Powerpak / Neutron 5s. It's cheap (comparatively) too at £100ish. Chebby (amongst others) is a big fan and can tell you more, but i should think it's perfect for the setup you are considering.

A

Anonymous

I think I might go for it.

A bit of Googling reveals that "Amp Pak" used to retail for £499 anyway.

My logic is that if I do not get on with them I can always keep the speakers and buy a Solo Mini or Myryad MI to upgrade later, and sell the "Amp Pak".

The wife thinks they look okay. Dimensions seem small enough and gloss black will work in the living room.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
are you going to go straight from your PC or are you going to look at something like the Beresford to stick in the middle? If you chose the second option I would be very surprised if the Mini or the MI could sound as good or be as convenient!

John Duncan

Taylor74:I think I might go for it.

A bit of Googling reveals that "Amp Pak" used to retail for £499 anyway.

My logic is that if I do not get on with them I can always keep the speakers and buy a Solo Mini or Myryad MI to upgrade later, and sell the "Amp Pak".

The wife thinks they look okay. Dimensions seem small enough and gloss black will work in the living room.

They are small and gorgeous in gloss black yes (hence them being preferred by the OH to my previous DB1s)

A

Anonymous

AVI confirmed they will work with the Macbook/s - nothing else required - therefore I placed the order. I need a cable with a headphone socket on one end, and the red and white plugs at the other, which I can get from Maplin.

I wouldn't usually be so spontaneous but it's a good deal and I can't see much potential to lose money if the worst comes to the worst.

He did mention that the higher range model had "digital" inputs for better sound, and a remote controlled volume, but that's a bit too much money to spend on a whim!

It's 50:50 whether they'll arrive tomorrow on Monday though, I guess.

I'm excited!

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Ah- good for you Taylor! It sounds like a great purchase. Do make sure that you let us know your thoughts and I hope you get them tomorrow so you can play with them over the weekend! Nothing like some shiny new tech to make a bank holiday!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts