Will internet radio take over from DAB?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After suffering with DAB reception I purchased a Nokon internet radio. While it fustrates with 32Kbs channels there are many at 128Kbs or higher and with so much choice I think it beats DAB overall. Of course DAB is truely portable but with broadband coming more and more into our cities will it eventually take over from DAB? Maybe a day will come where the internet is a widespread as DAB reception. Maybe the DAB channels could be freed up for more HD TV broadcasting....?

haider

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
simply said, YES. Well in the home anyway and for hi-fi, certainly.

DAB, is not and has never been a 'hi-fi' way of listening to broadcast music. FM is still a higher end transmission technically and in some rare instances, uncompressed too.

Internet radios, which are now becoming widly available will present a brighter future for the kitchen top or hi-fi companenet radio for sure. DAB may retain its place in the mobile radio sector, but other technologies will probably leapfrog it there too. A bit like most stand alone technologies these days, it will have a short life.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I have an Acoustic Energy internet radio and LOVE it! Great to listen to sports from back home (New Zealand), remember good times in Ibiza, or suffer by listening to Chris Moyles. Will seriously consider the Denon S-302 given its WiFi ability - does anyone know whether it has a built in internet radio, or merely ability to access your networked mp3s?

A

Anonymous

Almost deffinately, however how quickly this happens depends on the products made available to take advantage of internet radio and how easy they are to use.

I also think set top tv boxes will ultimately replace a lot dedicated hifi tuners. I run my sky plus box through my Cambridge audio 840c and jolly good it sounds to, with no worries about reception issues. (except when it rains really really hard)

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
may be internet radio will take over from FM and DAB, But if you really want a better HIFI sound you should use a DVB satellite receiver and connect it witha good toslink or coax cable to your DAC or AV receiver.

A

Anonymous

I bought one of these and it won't play BBC Radio listen again files. The AE website does not offer advice on difficulties with regular files like this. Also their support email does not respond to emails and telephone messages have not been answered. I feel very let down. Essentially I have forked out £150 for a radio & even that works patchily. The support side of this organization is appalling.

tom_mk

Dec 27, 2007
Visit site
This is something I've been wondering about myself recently. We are about to completely overhaul the TV/hi-fi set up at our home. We have a wireless network as well as running Cat5 cabling to certain areas of the house, including the area in the front room where the new flat screen and related equipment will be located. Ultimately I'm wanting to share our small(ish) music collection (downloaded via iTunes and ripped from CD collection) with whatever equipment is installed, if at all possible. Due to the size and layout of our room, a full 5.1 system isn't going to be easy (actually near on impossible unless we want to rip everything out and start again - which isn't going to happen), so we were recommend to look at 2.1 systems.

This is what I've been doing and came across the Denon S-302. It does do Internet Radio, assuming that this is what is meant in the spec "Access to 7,000 Internet radio stations (MP3, WMA)". At first, the fact that it doesn't do DAB radio was a concern, however having since found out that there is no schedule for decommissioning the FM signal and the comments from members of the forum, I'm starting to not be so bothered by this 'lack' of functionality. The only thing that people should consider with Internet Radio, is that if you listen to it a lot, how does that affect any limitations or caps of the service provided by your ISP. (I haven't done the maths - and I should based on my background in IT, for example how much data is downloaded in a 128k compressed station if you listen to it for one hour.)

Personally, I'd be very interested in any opinions/reviews of the S-302.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Katie D3 - if you are meaning "On Demand" radio, the AE should definitely play it. Go "Stations" then "Location" then "UK" then select, for instance, "Radio 1" and it should give you options including "Live" and "On Demand" - select the latter and then the programme you wish to listen to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts