Will I notice it? Recommendations Please!

robderby

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello
xyxwave.gif

FYI, my current setup.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH 42PX70b CAB
New Sky 1TB Box HDMI + Optical
Xbox 360 Elite HDMI
Samsung DVD Player HDMI + Coax
Mac Mini Media PC (iTunes + Plex etc) HDMI + Optical

All of the above are connected one way or another to my Sony STR 495p Amplifier by OpticalCoaxPhono etc and my new Tannoy SFX 5.1 Speakers. The cabling is obviously quite messy, but I manage to copy with 1 optical input using a splitter and also a Coax for the DVD. I also currently run my SKY HD 1TB into HDMI 1 on the back of my TV and then hotsway HDMI 2 between my Mac, Xbox and DVD player.

My Question is, if I was to replace old my Sony Amp (As I think that this has to be nearly 8yrs old now and is the "weakest link") with something like a Sony 810 or 3500, or an Onkyo 608.

How much of a difference am I likely to seehear from SkyXbox360MacMini ?

SmallNoticeablevery NoticeableBig Improvement?

Thanks very much guys, am happy to provide more details if necessary.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
There's been some good improvements in AV receivers in that time and I think you'll defintely find improvements in one of the newer receivers. The biggest update you're likely to notice is if you ever upgrade to a Blu-Ray player and can then take advantage of HD audio, but I think even with Dolby Digital / DTS through your standard DVD player, the likes of the new Onkyo will still give you a performance benefit.

Of course, the best bet would be to find a nearby delaer(s), book in some demos for receivers in your budget and take your current Sony along so you can hear the difference for yourself
emotion-21.gif

robderby

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks ProfessorHat.

Is there a Particlur AMP that you would recommend considering my Setup and Speakers?

As I said, Im thinking of the Onkyo 608, Sony 810 or 3500es or maybe even the Pioneer 820 as all are about £3400.

Cheers

Rob

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi robderby

I think you would benefit most from upgrading your speakers. If you can cope with the size, then you can get the Q Acoustic 1010i from Richer Sounds for £300, or the Boston Soundware XS for £329.

Then you could look at a Blu Ray player like the LG BDP390, which is currently £169 at RS, connect it to your current receiver using multichannel analogue outputs/inputs, and you've got hi-def images and lossless audio.

I know this takes you slightly over budget, but it would represent a noticable step-up (I owned a Tannoy SFX package, briefly, and while it was fine for the money, I think the products mentioned above would improve things markedly).

robderby

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
But my current AV Receiver is v old - only 50w per channel, and has no HDMI and only 1 Optical.

This is it;

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1515

Thanks "Strapped"

I have heard from people that they think I should upgrade the speakers to get the most obvious improvement for my money, but my SFX 5.1's are only 1yr old and fit in to the design of the room (which is quite small) 15'8 x 11'2.

I'm probably going to move house next year, so was thinking a new AMP would stand me in good stead for getting great £500+ speakers for the new house in 1218months, with some good floor standers for Music etc.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It may be old and not that powerful but, as far as I can tell, it has multichannel analogue inputs; which means that if you buy a Blu Ray player like the LG BDP-390, which has multichannel analogue outputs, the lack of HDMI input isn't a problem (you can still get lossless sound).

On the other hand, if you're viewing this as part of a longer upgrade process, then by all means start by getting a new receiver.

The other thing to consider is that you can get some fantastic deals on last years receiver models at the moment (as long as 3D isn't important to you), so for £400 you can get more bang for your buck than with the 2010 models you listed.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I agree that both the amp and speakers could do with an upgrade, but it does seem sensible to get a new amp now and then upgrade the speaker package later to take full advantage of the new amp and also choose one that fits in well with your new place. However, I would stress that you should definitely audition your current amp against the new breed first to ensure it is giving you a performance benefit.

Amps I would consider would definitely be the Onkyo TX-SR608, the Denon AVR-1911, the Yamaha RXV-667 and the Pioneer VSX-820 around that price. The Denon AVR-2310 can also be picked up for about the same price nowadays and I would try and seek out a demo of this compared with the newer breed of amps to see what you think. It depends if you're worried about being 3D compatible as this is an older model and does not have the necessary HDMI 1.4 ports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts