Will I need to change VTA on my Rega for a Nagaoka MP200?

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Rega P25 with the provided RB600 arm and an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. I'm considering upgrading to the Nagaoka MP200 cartridge. Will I need to add a VTA adjuster to get the most out of the new setup? It seems Rega recommend never doing this so I was interested in what others have done here and results observed and also if it's an easy thing to change.

VTA ajudstments can make subtle changes to overall sound quality, but I stress subtle.

The two cartridges you mention are not too dissimilar size-wise and I would suggest not VTA adjuster would be required.

Nothing stopping you getting one and having a play though. This would entails arm removal but if you are happy doing this then it shouldn't be too complicated.

More important overall, I feel, is tracking force with both these cartridges being happy at at around 1.8g.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
No problem, I do it all the time, grammer checkers get a good workout when I'm typing. Just :dance: playing The Style Council/Our Favourite shop on the TT, haven't listened to it for years and it sounds really good, it will be interesting to compare with the Nagaoka and see if the improvement is material, it should be. Will get it in about a month.

Thanks again.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
So Rega do not advise a spacer - but actually sell one????

I have a spacer on my RP6 & Nagaoka MP200 as I was advised to use one - I see no reason to remove it!

BTW superb choice of cart!

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Yes, as far as I can tell from searching t'net, they take the view that adding the VTA adjuster compromises or effects the rigidity of the setup, but the fact that they provide one now is probably acknowledging the problem created by some of the large (non-Rega) carts.. I conclude from this that if the cart will fit and work well without VTA, then that's the best setup, hence my post, I need to know if the cart will fit. I've even seen advice somewhere that recommends removing the turntable mat for heavier vinyl instead of adjusting VTA.

Back to the cart itself, looks like the best value carts for a great sound for my deck are either the MP200 or the Dynavector 10X5. Before actually paying out for the MP200 I will go and have a listen to the Dynavector at Paul's "Lounge". He had one on a P6 last ime I was there. That also sounded very good as well.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
kikiso said:
Hi Steve,

Yes, as far as I can tell from searching t'net, they take the view that adding the VTA adjuster compromises or effects the rigidity of the setup, but the fact that they provide one now is probably acknowledging that expensive arms like the RB600 should always have allowed users to adjust the VTA, instead of the company being in denial about it for years.

Just corrected that for you :grin:

TRENDING THREADS