Will high end streamers become mainstream?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Reading this, I just wondered: is it reasonable to assume that high end streamer techology and expertise will 'trickle down' to more main stream devices and so make great music available to everyone?

There are quite a few advantages to streaming over playing discs IMO. Error correction over dlna; my whole library at hand. Also dacs have come a long way..so is basically correct implementation and software all that counts?

Or am I just dreaming and is good quality always expensive?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The future is here now. The quality on offer at entry level pricepoints is staggering compared to ten years ago and in ten years time that will be the case again.Quality is a subjective thing but expensive will always be expensive.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Which mainstream devices do you have in mind, with inferior technology?

My own. :)

Reading back my first post I think it needs some clarification.

I now have a streamer costing about 400 pounds. Really happy with it; don't feel the need to upgrade now.

However, having auditioned the linn majik before (on another system) I can imagine myself upgrading in a few years or so.

Also, after trying different options with streaming I'm inclined to think: how hard can it be? Really. Think about it- no moving parts, dlna error correction...

Wouldn't prices go down and mainstream quality move up in a few years time?

Ie what would hold back the likes of Sonos to reach the high standard Naim,Linn and Cyrus set?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Ie what would hold back the likes of Sonos to reach the high standard Naim,Linn and Cyrus set?

The differences are not in the streaming section, they're in the output sections from the DAC and beyond.

It's a bit like asking why doesn't this £50 CD player sounds as good as this £5000 CD player? The transport is likely the same, it's everything after that that's different (ie more expensive components). Logically they're not doing anything differently, it's just the quality of components.

Anyway some people would argue that Sonos actually does a lot of things better than the others you mention.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are playing lossless codecs then there should be no need for a high end streamer.

One of the 1080p media streamers you see available for £100-200 will play jus as well. All they have to do is transcode FLAC into LPCM. Connect it up to a decent AV/Hifi and off you go.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
So if it's the Dac and output stage that make the difference... still I'm wondering: has anybody had a first hand experience of a comparison between Sonos or squeezebox and 1000+ streamers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Superaintit said:
So if it's the Dac and output stage that make the difference... still I'm wondering: has anybody had a first hand experience of a comparison between Sonos or squeezebox and 1000+ streamers?

IMO. A Linn Sneaky is better than both....but these are just meaningless words, unless you try it for yourself.

Nb. I think the Sonos and SBT are both excellent products.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Superaintit said:

IMO. A Linn Sneaky is better than both....but these are just meaningless words, unless you try it for yourself.

Nb. I think the Sonos and SBT are both excellent products.

I've not yet compared Sonos/squeezebox performance against Cyrus or linn, but did hear the latter ones in a setup different from my own. Much to the dealers disappointment -bless his soul- I thought the Cyrus was a better match sonically with the dynaudio 110a which I was auditioning at the time.

Btw I did think the linn sounded a bit clearer, but the Cyrus house sound to my ears suited the dynaudio better. Anyway, it was a great product and I'm sure I will try it in my own setup. But only when I got the funds again to allow it ;)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
if you are looking to improve sound quality then looking at the source is wrong. modern sources are nearly identical in quality of output and should be chosen on interface, functionlaity and styling.

as said many times here by people with knowledge, it is the speakers and their interaction with the room and the amp which has the most impact on sound and is the weakest link, by far, in any modern replay system.

study this aspect in theory and in practice - read proper literature and listen to a number of systems e.g. at a show, paying attention to sound (and not to brandname/pricetag). then you know where to spend if spending is in your plans.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
if you are looking to improve sound quality then looking at the source is wrong. modern sources are nearly identical in quality of output and should be chosen on interface, functionlaity and styling.

as said many times here by people with knowledge, it is the speakers and their interaction with the room and the amp which has the most impact on sound and is the weakest link, by far, in any modern replay system.

study this aspect in theory and in practice - read proper literature and listen to a number of systems e.g. at a show, paying attention to sound (and not to brandname/pricetag). then you know where to spend if spending is in your plans.

Well, that is exactly what I was thinking and where I put my money.

That and the high end streamers was actually the thing that prompted my initial question.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts