Will Dacmagic improve the sound quality of my Marantz CD6003 ?

airliebird

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
As the title states I have just bought a Dacmagic for the sole purpose of playng music from my laptop through my PM6003 amp and very impressed I am too. I also have the Marantz Cd6003 and the assistant said if I connected it up to my Dacmagic it would be an upgrade to the sound quality of the CD6003. Its this right and has anyone who has done this been impressed with the results ?

Thanks Pete

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
And let us know what you think :) Threads debating how good DACs are pop up every now and then and I've heard some comment that DACs the price of the DAC Magic give performance equal to a 500+ pound player, but I've also heard others say that it isn't really much of an improvement over a budget CD player like your Marantz.

It will be interesting to hear what you find

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, airliebird. I'll see your post as a teaser to your own question ;)

I also have a CD6003 and considering an upgrade or cleaning it and add a DAC

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A while ago I had a CD5003/PM8003 combination, and I also had a similarly priced to the Dacmagic , Beresford Caiman DAC.

When conducting a direct comparision between the CD/Amp and CD/DAC/Amp surprisingly I found no discernable difference.

Either that reflects badly on the Caiman or shows how good the budget Marantz CD's are. Take your pick.

Not exactly an answer to your question but just my own experience of a similar dilemma.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:

Coud even be this. I auditioned the pm8003 quite heavily when looking for a new hifi, and although musical, its lack of resolution was quite surprising, so maybe the amp just wasn't able to show up the extra detail the dac provided? Engaging listen, but severe lack of detail. Then again I like my sound quite detailed and analytical.

airliebird

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Took the plunge and I went out and purchased a toslink cable to connect my CD6003 to my Dacmagic and all I can say is wow. My test CD was Tom Petty Wildflowers and I noticed the difference immediatley. I have a small listening room and have never been happy with the bass control from my Wharfdale 10.1 speakers but the Dacmagic as my source has calmed it right down . Seperation is also much better. The acoustics from guitar strings are very crisp as well and they are not getting lost in the now controlled base. Im loving it. Its a definate upgrade in my view so I will not be changing the CD player for a while.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
airliebird said:
Took the plunge and I went out and purchased a toslink cable to connect my CD6003 to my Dacmagic and all I can say is wow. My test CD was Tom Petty Wildflowers and I noticed the difference immediatley. I have a small listening room and have never been happy with the bass control from my Wharfdale 10.1 speakers but the Dacmagic as my source has calmed it right down . Seperation is also much better. The acoustics from guitar strings are very crisp as well and they are not getting lost in the now controlled base. Im loving it. Its a definate upgrade in my view so I will not be changing the CD player for a while.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the improvement. I found similar results when I used my Dacmagic with the Cambridge audio 650BD player. Though I could not decide which of the 3 filter settings I preferred.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts