Will Audio Analogue Enigma match budget separates?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am tempted by the Audio Analogue Enigma with B&W CM1 speakers to replace my Onkyo CS515. However am I wasting my money when I could get a Rotel or Cambridge Audio separate setup for less? Is the Enigma going to be able to match these separates for sound quality? I am not worried about a tuner as both FM and DAB reception where we live is awful. Also are the CM1 speakers overkill? I have limited space to fit the speakers (18cm wide max) so these look a good option.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Your situation reminded me of what i went through a month ago -

I had a Rotel seperates system and I sold them to buy a Linn Classik.(best move i did)

The Linn Classik kills the Rotel seperates in all most areas.

As for the Audio Analogue Enigma I personally have not heard it but I have read many reviews. Only downfall from what I read was the controls were lacking - the volume turned up too quick etc.

So the answers your looking for are

1 Yes systems can be better than comparably priced seperates. The Enigma has valves so will need them changing every now and again as valves do wear out. Enigma is a great product.

2 If you listen to rock forget the Enigma and buy a Linn Classik as the Enigma will be too "gentle" for this genre. however if you like Jazz, Classical and Acoustical stuff then the Enigma will be a sure winner.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes Rich, we KNOW you love the Classik, but I beg to differ - at £1000, you could buy a lot better sound than the one-box system.

The new £270 Marantz CD player we test in the new issue - out Thursday - in some shops (and with subscribers) already - is exceptional for the money. Pair that with Rotel RA-04 amp (£250) and something small but powerful, like those B&W CM1s (or the £320 Audiovector K1 - big sounding but only 14cm wide) and you have a corking system that would beat any one-boxer and speakers hands-down.

A

Anonymous

Ah ok. Thanks for the replies. Off to listen to the Linn and Primare CDi10 this Friday so I'll see how good it is. I wanted to test an equivalent seperates system at the same time so thanks the recommendations. Best go buy the latest issue before I go.......glad to hear the CM1s get the thumbs up.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I know i go on about the Linn but until you hear it with B&W 705 speakers you wont realize how good it is.

Claire, What speakers did what hifi reveiw the Linn with????

Yeah Linn pay me megabucks commision ;)

Let me know what you think of the Classik. Buy some good cabling ok.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts