Will a Denon RCD-M39DAB drive my Mission 760i SE speakers?

samlowry

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm moving my home office into a smaller room and need to downsize my system. Currently I've got separates driving Mission 760i SE speakers. I'm thinking of getting a Denon RCD-M39DAB all-in-one and I'm wondering if it'll drive my Missions OK?

I've seen the Denon sold packaged with speakers like the Monitor Audio BX2, Q Acoustics Q2020i & Tannoy Mercury V1, but I don't really know whether they are equivalent to the Missions (I'm not much of a speaker expert!)

I don't want to have to buy new speakers if I can avoid it (and I like the 760i SEs) but will consider something more appropriate if the Denon won't do them justice. I don't need lots of volume as it's a small room.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sam, and welcome to the forum!

I had to Google that Denon to know what you're talking about exactly. Looks like a smart piece of hifi!

And don't worry about the speakers. I've had the 760 SEs for about 20 years, and I still think they are superb! I once tried them with a Unison Simply Italy, a single ended triode valve amplifier with 2 x 12 W into 6 Ohm and they still sounded excellent (at moderate levels of course).

So if you don't need lots of volume, the little Missions can certainly sing with that Denon's 2 x 30 W into 8 Ohm.

Enjoy!

Just to second DocG's comments, from what I recall the Missions were / are quite efficient speakers for their size (my brother had a pair some time ago) and were quite happy to play at very reasonable volume levels with low-power amplifiers (pretty sure brothers was only 20w.p.c.)

You should have no problems with the Denon.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Just to second DocG's comments, from what I recall the Missions were / are quite efficient speakers for their size (my brother had a pair some time ago) and were quite happy to play at very reasonable volume levels with low-power amplifiers (pretty sure brothers was only 20w.p.c.)

You should have no problems with the Denon.

Mission used to design and make Denon 'badged' versions of their speakers for sale with Denon mini and micro-systems. (Denon SCM50s were an example.)

I think you should be fine with your 760i SEs.

samlowry

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it!

Can anyone comment on how the 760i SEs compare with bookshelf speakers currently available?

I like the Missions, but they have some cosmetic damage and I'm toying with the idea of replacing them.

My price range would be £100 - £250 and I like the look of the Monitor Audio BX2 and the Tannoy Mercury V1, which represent the top and bottom end of this range, respectively. I'd only consider buying if I'm going to get a real upgrade in sound though!

Any thoughts, or alternative suggestions?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If the drive units are in good condition they'll match anything within their price band.

I owned a pair of 731's my 1st speakers, that era mission were on a role, excellent speakers.

Just buy the Denon, those speakers will work with it.

If you do have issues you can then look to purchase new speakers.
samlowry said:
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it!

Can anyone comment on how the 760i SEs compare with bookshelf speakers currently available?

I like the Missions, but they have some cosmetic damage and I'm toying with the idea of replacing them.

My price range would be £100 - £250 and I like the look of the Monitor Audio BX2 and the Tannoy Mercury V1, which represent the top and bottom end of this range, respectively. I'd only consider buying if I'm going to get a real upgrade in sound though!

Any thoughts, or alternative suggestions?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
It won't hurt to try other speakers with the amp. But if you like the sound of your Missions, be careful! Modern speakers, like the MAs, are tonally quite different (brighter, more in your face), so demo everything (long enough) in your room before deciding. It'd be a pity if in the end you'd realize you spent money for a sound you like less than what you have now... As thompson says: Mission were making some wonderful stuff in those days -- certainly considering the price ticket!

As for the speakers' sensitivity: it's 89 dB IIRC, with a nominal 6 Ohm impedance and a very smooth impedance curve. In other words: easy to drive for almost any amplifier (except flea-Watt SET amps).

samlowry

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
If the drive units are in good condition they'll match anything within their price band.

I owned a pair of 731's my 1st speakers, that era mission were on a role, excellent speakers.

Just buy the Denon, those speakers will work with it.

If you do have issues you can then look to purchase new speakers.

DocG said:
It won't hurt to try other speakers with the amp. But if you like the sound of your Missions, be careful! Modern speakers, like the MAs, are tonally quite different (brighter, more in your face), so demo everything (long enough) in your room before deciding. It'd be a pity if in the end you'd realize you spent money for a sound you like less than what you have now... As thompson says: Mission were making some wonderful stuff in those days -- certainly considering the price ticket!

As for the speakers' sensitivity: it's 89 dB IIRC, with a nominal 6 Ohm impedance and a very smooth impedance curve. In other words: easy to drive for almost any amplifier (except flea-Watt SET amps).

Thanks a lot to both of you. Just the kind of insight I was after!

The 760i SEs are working perfectly, but the cabinet on one of them has a ding and a few scratches (they also look pretty dated & functional, compared with something like the BX2
regular_smile.gif
) If they still compete with today's gear in the same price range, though, I think you're right and I should stick with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts