Wiim Ultra V Marantz CR610

Rjpd77

Sep 29, 2024
Visit site
Hi All,

I use my Marantz CR610 for streaming Spotify (from my phone) via a Soprano Synthesis tube amplifier and a pair of Piega classic 3.0. speakers

I also use the headphone jack on the marantz late at night. Would swapping out the marantz for the Wiim ultra be an upgrade with respect to spotify?

I was also considering the Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition. It' s very expensive but I really need the headphone option .

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
Richard

Gray

Would swapping out the marantz for the Wiim ultra be an upgrade with respect to spotify?
Only you could really answer that Richard.
The DACs are likely to be different in the two, so you'd get the usual subtle differences there.
For what it's worth, I've got the same DAC chip that the Ultra uses, in a Cyrus amp and a standalone DAC and, to me, it sounds better than other DACs I've heard....(of course the chip itself is not the whole DAC sound story though).

You're right, that Naim is expensive - for serious headphone listening I'd consider putting your Marantz or the Ultra through something like the excellent Topping A90D - but then, you may prefer an all-in-one 🤔....

Jasonovich

I see you like your tubes :) Why not consider a tube headphone amp for your late listening. I have had the XDUOO T-66 for a week now and I am truly impressed by the sound quality. A little partisan I know, but highly recommended and a real bargain.
In terms of aesthics, the WiiM Ulra hits the spot and I suspect the sound quality will possibly be above the Marantz all in one. I was considering the WiiM Ultra but opted for the Matrix Mini i-4 Streamer-DAC because it's ability to play DSD files.

I don't like operating everything on my mobile, i.e. to access my music files, I prefer local storage or NAS ethernet network, which is why I opted for an additional Digital Transport. I think this works well for me. For most people, the Ultra is all you need to play your USB FLAC files.

Also consider if it's within your budget, the excellent Eversolo DMP-A6, on AliExpress they're selling approx. £650+

1727621318434.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts