WiiM Mini has met its match

manicm

That's a nice price.
It's got usb out - wonder if it's got USB in for local FLAC.....🤔

I spoke to soon. This is a glorified Airplay/Roon box, with Roon support yet to come. It doesn't support Spotify Connect etc. So from what I understand off the bat you need an Apple device and/or a Roon subscription when ready.

Note there's no DAC. Does not support USB drive yet, may come through firmware.

Dr-G

Sep 9, 2022
Visit site
Very slick looking device, and I've enjoyed Fiio products in the past.
Need to find out more about the app and whether it has its own multi-room mode, or just as an airplay endpoint. The Wiim is very strong in that regard...
Also interested that they are implementing volume control on the digital out. By up-sampling and then relying on your dac to have more bit-depth than the music file this could be lossless, no?

Gray

It’s a shame we can’t have an updated Chromecast Audio, with gapless playback. The secondhand prices reveal how sought after they remain.
I bought 2 CCA back when Currys had them on offer for £15.
I exchanged them both for a Raspberry Pi.

At that time, I couldn't give one away (I tried).
Wished I'd have kept them - better investment than gold 🤑

Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

Fandango Andy

Witterings

It’s a shame we can’t have an updated Chromecast Audio, with gapless playback. The secondhand prices reveal how sought after they remain.

I've been saying ths for ages as they were way ahead of the pack, not sure why they decided to discontinue them if anybody knows would he interested to hear.

What are they foing for approx 2nd hand, I've 3 sitting in a draw not being used at the moment.

I've been saying ths for ages as they were way ahead of the pack, not sure why they decided to discontinue them if anybody knows would he interested to hear.

What are they going for approx 2nd hand, I've 3 sitting in a drawer not being used at the moment.
Up to £60 or so, and even more for sealed ones. But definitely more than you or I paid originally! Many are for bidding on eBay which shows there’s a demand.

I speculated that Google had maybe been pressurised by rival manufacturers in exchange for licensing the technology. Google probably make much more from licenses after all, and you’ll know that many services carry the ‘cast’ logo now, and it’s built in to lots of products too. And maybe Google didn’t want to ongoing support for physical products, nor to update it when newer chips became available?

Last edited:

Witterings

Unless you want Chromecast then it isn't. I have both devices.
You'd have to go to the Pro Plus to get much of an improvement.

Sorry I probably didn't make the reason I was asking clear, I have all 3 and agree apart from the Chromecast and slightly better connection options there isn't any difference and so was question why "miles" better was warranted.

I think some people are under the impression if you use digital out on a Mini and a Pro that the Pro gives better sound quality.

I did actually trade up from Mini's to Pros (in some areas) as you couldn't multiroom high res music in Amazon Music and had to keep changing the setting which was a pain.
I also have a ProPlus for an area where the amp doesn't have an onboard DAC

If I wanted one for an area that wasn't ever going to be used in a multiroom situation and the amp had a decent DAC I'd just use a Mini.

Reactions: Hifiman and DCarmi

DCarmi

I wasn't contradicting you in the slightest. I agree if you just want streaming into the onboard DAC of an amp, the mini is a decent cost effective option. I'm not even sure the extra connections on the Pro is are worth it. Personally, I've not been able to hear any audio difference between the 2 models.

I guess the Pro being DNLA compliant could be a factor for a few.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I think we all agree - super products - and a range of flavours to suit everyone's needs. I'm (currently) happy with the Mini --> Topping route but could see "upgrading" to a Pro/P to a) get a single box solution; and b) use LAN rather than WiFi (although no issues with WiFi). The rest of the Pro/P is, for me, redundant at this point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts