Wich Hi-fi Amplifier should i use?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am changing from cd player, to play music with my laptop. I have all of my albuns in flac in a hard drive. I'm thinking of buying a DACmagic from Cambridge audio and use my old Kef Cresta 2 and 3. The 650 from Cambridge audio is a good choice? which amplifier should i use?

T

the record spot

The 650A had a fine write-up this year, but was superseded not long afterwards by the latest in the Marantz line - the PM6003. I've heard the 650A, but, as with most Richer Sounds branches, this was in the middle of the shop rather than at home, so it's rather difficult to say. It didn't appear to be particularly bright or rather, excessively so and Alan Sircom (long standing hifi journo) raved about it last year. He currently edits a very high end title, so the amp was up against some impressive marques.

Pop along, have them play it for you and see what you think (assuming you're in the UK). Might be worth havign a think about the kind of sound you like - if it leans towards more balance/neutrality, then the CA mightn't be such a good fit for you and a glance over at the Yamaha AS-700 (or the recent -500 junior model) might be worth you checking out. See also Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Teac, NAD, Denon...plenty to choose from and fit and finish in most cases can be impressive.

The sub-£500 bracket is stuffed full of some decent amps, so there ought to be something out there that fits the bill. If not, maybe have a think about going down the ex-dem/secondhand route; some dealers offer warranty cover, anywhere from 3 months up to five years in a couple of cases (though maybe not in your budget, but feel free to prove me wrong on this!) and it can be a good way of getting more for your money.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for de advice! The problem here in Portugal (and particularly in Algarve, where i am) is that there aren't good shop's, so itïs diddicult to test several possibilities. But i think i will choose between the Marantz and the cambridge. Do you think that these amps go well with the Kef Cresta?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
you can get away with the CA 550A.very good amp.Id prefer it to the marantz.OR you can get a yamaha like mine for cheap.Greetings from Lisbon .

Gerrardasnails:rfaustino:Sorry, just for the amp. There is an 840A on eBay that you should be able to win within your budget. This will blow away any of the amps mentioned.

Hear what your saying, Gerrard, and technically you're right. My reservation with is the OP is using (I think) Kef Cresta speakers - I know from experience trying to run a a decent amp on sub-standard speakers can cause problems. I would suggest a budget Rotel amp such as RA-04/05 or one of the latest Marantz offerings...

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I am also looking for a new amp an have the Rotel RA-04se, CA 650a and Arcam A18 on my list. I had a demo of a Rotel RA-04se and athe Arcam A18 last week. The Rotel was very good, but the Arcam blew it out of the water. In the UK Arcam are knocking 20% of the cost of an A18 if you trade in your old amp. It might be worth finding out if the offer is wider than the UK as the Arcam made me feel that I wanted to sit and listen to it forever as the sound was so natural and inviting. The Rotel sounded less inviting and lacked something. I'm wondering if the CA 650a might be worth going for, but as I need a phono input the price difference makes the Arcam look like a bargan. My advice is to ask as many people as you can and keep saving. Hold out for the best you can afford and you'll never regret it. Good luck.

jasonmiddleton:I am also looking for a new amp an have the Rotel RA-04se, CA 650a and Arcam A18 on my list. I had a demo of a Rotel RA-04se and athe Arcam A18 last week. The Rotel was very good, but the Arcam blew it out of the water. In the UK Arcam are knocking 20% of the cost of an A18 if you trade in your old amp. It might be worth finding out if the offer is wider than the UK as the Arcam made me feel that I wanted to sit and listen to it forever as the sound was so natural and inviting. The Rotel sounded less inviting and lacked something. I'm wondering if the CA 650a might be worth going for, but as I need a phono input the price difference makes the Arcam look like a bargan. My advice is to ask as many people as you can and keep saving. Hold out for the best you can afford and you'll never regret it. Good luck.

With the RS6s I'd avoid budget Cambridge and Rotel amps. I heard the Rotel RA-06 about 18 months ago, it sounded too heavy handed. Although not heard the cambridge you mentioned with RS6s, I did hear the older 640V2 with Mordaunt short 914 speakers (they very similar tonal qualities to the RS6s) and wasn't impressed.

Out of all the amps I've tried over the past 2 years or so, I'll give you the best and worst synergy match for MAs (in order):

Arcam

Creek

Roksan Caspian

Leema

Roksan Kandy

Primare

Marantz

Rotel

Avoid all costs Naim, Cyrus, Cambridge (with exception of the 840).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts