Why rip, back-up, etc, when you could just put a CD/DVD in?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ffiish:
But back to my main issue with the whole thing:

Would anyone care to volunteer two weeks of their time to rip my CD collection?

Yeah that's a downside, but it seems to me you're happier just playing the CDs, so why worry about it? I think when it comes to computer based music you either get it or you don't. Personally speaking I love it, with my Sonos system I get cheap (relatively) multi-room capabilities, I get excellent sound quality in my main room and, most import for me, I get to play my ENTIRE cd collection, on random, which I've never been able to do before.

But that's how I listen to music, my first ever CD player was a 5 disc multi-player, and I always used to stick 5 discs in a hit shuffle, I can't remember the last time I listened to an entire album, now some might say that that means you don't get to hear the more obscure tracks, but in actual fact I've heard more tracks I've never listened to before since I went computer-based than I ever did in the past, because I let the Sonos decide what it's going to play and it's always surprising me. I can see that if you don't listen to music in this manner then it's not likely to seem so appealing, but that's the way I like it.

As for the ripping, yeah that's an issue, but I just used to take a bunch of CDs up to the computer room whenever I went in there and just swapped discs whilst I was doing other things, mail, web, etc. Done like that you barely notice it. Now it's just second nature to wander in there whenever I've bought a new disc and slap it in, rip it and stick it in the cabinet.

idc

I enjoy the process of importing CDs, as you say the_lhc, there are plenty of other PC chores that can be done like checking e-mail at the same time. I also adapt CDs to have them the way I want them, such as rearranging the play order, deleting tracks I hate, making up my own compilation albums and finding my preferred album art.

A

Anonymous

I have one very good reason I don't rip any of my CD's.... That is because I don't have a computer at home.

We use the things all day long at work, so why the hell do you want to go home and play around with one in your spare time?!

The world is going computer mad, it stops the art of conversation, and dumbs down the whole world.

It is a nice process to slot a CD in the dedicated player and you don't have to sit there answering email after, or surfing the web for strange sites (apart from this one!).

You can even sit down with your good lady and relax, drink some wine and talk to her (that part is optional though).

Ditch all computers and play your CD's...... The world would be a much better place!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
seduct10n:I have one very good reason I don't rip any of my CD's.... That is because I don't have a computer at home.

We use the things all day long at work, so why the hell do you want to go home and play around with one in your spare time?!

The world is going computer mad, it stops the art of conversation, and dumbs down the whole world.

It is a nice process to slot a CD in the dedicated player and you don't have to sit there answering email after, or surfing the web for strange sites (apart from this one!). You can even sit down with your good lady and relax, drink some wine and talk to her (that part is optional though). Ditch all computers and play your CD's...... The world would be a much better place! Yep. Let's get rid of cars too. And televisions and electricity and trains and roads and houses and shops. In fact I blame agriculture for the whole damn mess. Let's torch all the farms while we're at it! We were so much happier as hunter gatherers. Shivering around the fire at night wondering how many of us would live through the night without getting dragged off by predators and praying to the sun for good hunting the next day. (Of course there were always a few who thought this 'decadence' started with fire and preached that we were all "fire mad" and that it should be banished.)

A

Anonymous

seduct10n:I have one very good reason I don't rip any of my CD's.... That is because I don't have a computer at home.

It is a nice process to slot a CD in the dedicated player and you don't have to sit there answering email after, or surfing the web for strange sites (apart from this one!).

You can even sit down with your good lady and relax, drink some wine and talk to her (that part is optional though).

Ditch all computers and play your CD's...... The world would be a much better place!

Luddites unite

I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about, CDP s or computer based music each has their own pro's and cons. I personally use both although I now use computer based music 95 % of the time. I don't have vinyl as I listen to a lot of Classical music and don't want to hear the snap crackle and pop during quiet passages that is inherant in its format.

I think that a lot of posters are more interested in the hardwear than listening to the music which after all is what its all about................

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
seduct10n: I have one very good reason I don't rip any of my CD's.... That is because I don't have a computer at home.

We use the things all day long at work, so why the hell do you want to go home and play around with one in your spare time?! I barely look at mine during the week during the week and only spend an hour or so on there during the weekends.

The world is going computer mad, it stops the art of conversation, and dumbs down the whole world. Err, no it doesn't! What do you think this is? It's just conversation in a written form!

It is a nice process to slot a CD in the dedicated player "A nice process"? Press a button, drop a cd in the drive, press a button again. It's not that inspiring is it? It's not even up there with putting an LP on the turntable, never mind taking the dog for a walk on the beach or cooking a nice meal for your missus from scratch. Those are nice processes but sticking a CD in the player? and you don't have to sit there answering email after, or surfing the web for strange sites (apart from this one!). Oh ok, so it's ok to look at THIS site but the rest of the internet is a waste of time?

You can even sit down with your good lady and relax, drink some wine and talk to her (that part is optional though). yeah funny that, that's what I was doing most of Sunday morning (without the wine, it was early), whilst we were listening to our music, through the Sonos. You are aware that you don't have to be sat at a computer to listen to computer based music aren't you? We listened to stuff for about 2 hours Sunday morning, I never looked at the computer once (it's in a different room).

Ditch all computers and play your CD's...... The world would be a much better place! Actually I rather think that the ability to talk to anyone, from any culture, anywhere in the world, whenever you like, is more likely to bring the world together than anything else in history has done.

A

Anonymous

Because if you're a sad git like me theres not enough time to do all your surfing of mindless rubbish in the lunch hour.

But i do agree that it's dumbing everything down. I also used to know two people who would sit next to each other but be chatting on their laptop!

Unless i'm feeling really lazy i'll always put a cd or record on though.

idc

seduct10n:

I have to use computers and various programmes at work, none of which are very efficient. That does not mean I hate the things and would not want to use them at home. I also have to answer the phone at work and speak to the public and deal with staff problems. That does not mean I will not answer the phone at home, speak to the neighbours and ignore family if they come to me with a problem. Work and home are separate. I turn the music off at work, no radio, no rubbish CD RW compilations that others bring in. Music is for the home and my hobby and I want to keep that separate too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts