Just bought a Panasonic DMR-EX78 DVD/HDD player recorder.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
And very good it is too!

We have always used Panasonic for all of our VHS and DVD machines going back to our first VHS player 23 years ago.

Our outgoing machine (a Panasonic VHS/DVD/SD/Freeview combi) was a bit big and getting a bit long in the tooth (DVD startup was getting long-winded) and all of our VHS -> DVD transfers were completed long ago so the VHS section was redundant.

We are not ready for Blu-Ray yet. Discs are still too expensive and I still cannot search Amazon (or my local HMV) and find more than one or two Blu-ray discs any of us would enjoy.

So I decided to get a good DVD/HDD/Freeview/SD/player recorder (with HDMI 'upsampling') and - based on my preference for Panasonic and the WHFS&V review - bought a DMR-EX78 yesterday afternoon from the local John Lewis for £279 + £20 for a John Lewis HDMI cable.

I have to agree with pretty much everything the WHFS&V review said. The pictures (DVD) are superb using HDMI.

Music ripped from CD -> HDD sounds pretty good (given that I only have it plugged in to the hifi with analogue phono cable rather then optical/digital via a DAC) but I doubt I will be using the HDD for music as I already use a computer with lossless files and a DAC for that. I just mention it because someone else might find this useful.

Digital TV -> HDD - and playback from HDD - is extremely good quality. Freeview radio from the DMR-EX78 via the hifi sounds excellent.

Just a small query.

I have connected the DMR-EX78 to the TV (Samsung LCD) using co-ax, SCART and HDMI. (As the instructions seem to suggest). I know the DVD is playing via the HDMI because the Panasonic confirms this on the display for a few seconds when the disc starts up.

Do I need all three connections? I assume I still need the coax connection between the two (for Freeview TV) but is it necessary to have both HDMI and SCART connections as well?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

The scart connection gives you the ability to pause live tv and also use the direct tv record function.

TRENDING THREADS