why people talk about Hi Fi more than Home Cinema, TVs etc?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Last Post
Threads
Hi-Fi

Discover how to make the most of your music, with the CD players, turntables, amplifiers and speakers that really shine, at all budgets

Re: Where’s my bass?
by janusz
Today, 10:55 PM
Home cinema

From simple home cinema in a box systems to surround sound set-ups and Blu-ray or HD DVD high-definition players – find it all here

Re: Warranties On TVs/Con...
by al7478
Today, 10:32 PM
TVs and projectors

Plasma? LCD? Full HD or just HD-ready? From flatscreen to DLP, rear-projection to DVD combo, find out which display is best for you.

Re: Is it worth buying an...
by Greenwich_Man
Today, 10:54 PM

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, you may have noticed the magazine is called "What HiFi, Sound and Vision" - the magazines roots are in Hifi, many of the regular readers are very much into their Hifi and these types of readers are more likely to be regulars on the forum rather than the people who buy a few magazines as they are making a TV purchase.
I also think there are far more discussions on Hifi here due to its very subjectiveness. Music I think invokes a lot more emotions and therefore a lot more discussion than TV can.

A

Anonymous

Nads... I don't understand your last...

As for why? Hifi is so much more varied and interchangeable. There are thousands of speaker makers and hundreds of hardware makers, the combinations and possibilities go on for miles. With home cinema there's less than 50 major manufacturers total. And lets face it, the difference between all the different bluray players on the market can't touch the difference in amps.

imo

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
so.. "why people talk about Home Cinema more than HiFi?"
emotion-14.gif
(devil lol)

i think that TV and Home Cimena is from different category. Not all people who buy great TVs do really care about sound., and vice versa

A

Anonymous

Home cinema can never be real cinema...except 1.there's a very big room specific for big screen 2.there's a very big screen

On the other hand,Hi Fi helps greatly to bring all kinds of masterpieces of music (which i believe the treasure for whole human being) vivid in front of us all.
emotion-1.gif

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Home Cinema is more simple then two channel. Little research makes you nearly an expert in Home Cinema. But two channel music is very different. It needs experience. You'll have no idea about Arcam Stereo unless you hear it, and demo it with your own music. But in Home Cinema see a couple of pictures enough for tv's, a/v receivers is another subject. Generally sound is not the primary objective. Technical video details is far more important than the sound. Is this a/v making upconversion, upscaling, dts sound code etc...Everybody can talk and discuss about these...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
ALTANPSX:But in Home Cinema see a couple of pictures enough for tv's, a/v receivers is another subject. Generally sound is not the primary objective. Technical video details is far more important than the sound. Is this a/v making upconversion, upscaling, dts sound code etc...Everybody can talk and discuss about these...
I don't think a true Home Cinema enthusiast would agree with you there - certainly for me, sound is absolutely more important than picture when it comes to really enjoying a good movie. That's why I spent quite a long time saving and auditioning for my ultimate home cinema sound first (on my budget anyway!) and only now am I thinking about getting a projector put in place to upgrade the picture. Putting the projector in first wouldn't have made any sense to me. Even with my 42" TV, because of the scale of the sound involved in living room, movies like Transformers, Cloverfield and Batman Begins really come to life and put you directly in the movie.

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:ALTANPSX:But in Home Cinema see a couple of pictures enough for tv's, a/v receivers is another subject. Generally sound is not the primary objective. Technical video details is far more important than the sound. Is this a/v making upconversion, upscaling, dts sound code etc...Everybody can talk and discuss about these... I don't think a true Home Cinema enthusiast would agree with you there - certainly for me, sound is absolutely more important than picture when it comes to really enjoying a good movie. That's why I spent quite a long time saving and auditioning for my ultimate home cinema sound first (on my budget anyway!) and only now am I thinking about getting a projector put in place to upgrade the picture. Putting the projector in first wouldn't have made any sense to me. Even with my 42" TV, because of the scale of the sound involved in living room, movies like Transformers, Cloverfield and Batman Begins really come to life and put you directly in the movie.

Of course I did not mean a true Home Cinema enthusiast or a videophile. If you scan the forums, you 'll see generally topics are not related sound.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Why people talk about Home Cinema, TVs etc at all?

I had a home cinema system which recently have been retired from my rigs due to I can get a better sound stage from watching movies through my music system. The resolution is un-comparison, the bass sound real - not just a thump from sub and imaging that even the best AV amp could only dream of.

I have yet to come across any AV stuff that satify my need (Arcam came closest but still a long way off a good hifi rig playing movies)

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Good music on a quality system gets under your skin, can totally absorb you and take you off somewhere totally different (metaphorically of course).

Home cinema on the other hand, is a bit of a laugh and you can impress friend with huge explosions from your sub woofer but doesn't have anywhere near the same afffect.

If I had to ditch one or the other the HC side would go without a second thought...

A

Anonymous

I Agree with Thiman a good two channel system can envoke more emotion & atmosphire with deft handleing & suttle changes in sound that can envelope your sesnes & carry you away when playing a good recording .

A

Anonymous

kev the mech:

I Agree with Thiman a good two channel system can envoke more emotion & atmosphire with deft handleing & suttle changes in sound that can envelope your sesnes & carry you away when playing a good recording .

I'd tend to agree with you, kev the mech. Music brings us richness of emotions with richness of works or masterpieces and the quality of sound contributes to the strength of the feelings. While in the cinema I do feel more like in a one of two states: involved / not involved. The quality of picture, color, size, whatever, doesn't mean much. These are only the technicalities. There are not that many films worth watching BTW

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Within reason a tv is a tv, a hifi is a music source of endless possibilities

ÿ

how do you figure that? i music source just plays music. a tv just produces moving pictures, and (often not very good sound).

the possibilities for both of them seems to be finite.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts