why no scart on av receivers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Simple question, why do no AV recievers have a scart input? Surely this would be really useful, especially for receivers with upconverting capability, for feeding sources such as virgin media and sky boxes through it?

What are my options for passing a virgin media or sky box through an AV receiver to try and take advantage of 1080i/p upconversion

John Duncan

Probably because SCART is a peculiarly European phenomeneoemenoenen - er, thing - and because they take up a lot of space.

You might be able to get a Scart-to-component (or s-video, say) plus audio cable, though not sure what output options on the boxes in question.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan: You might be able to get a Scart-to-component (or s-video, say) plus audio cable, though not sure what output options on the boxes in question.

I use Scart-to-composite for connecting Sky+ to an AV Receiver.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And of course Scart generally carries RGB video, not component, which is what AV receivers tend to prefer.

Agreed, some products can output component video via a Scart - I once had a fun day in the times before there was so much stuff online trying to source a Scart to component cable to test a Linn DVD player - but generally it's RGB, not YUV, which AV receivers don't like at all.

The only way round it is to output at a lower quality - ie composite or S-video - using a suitable Scart adapter lead. But then it's arguable whether composite or S-video upconverted and upscaled - assuming your receiver can do this - will look much better than, or indeed as good as, a direct Scart connection to the TV.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

..... But then it's arguable whether composite or S-video upconverted and upscaled - assuming your receiver can do this - will look much better than, or indeed as good as, a direct Scart connection to the TV.

Good point - I only watch Sky via the receiver if the sound is worth it (eg movies) otherwise Scart-Scart straight to the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts