Why is the sound of Sky HD so quiet?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having Sky + go through my stereo amp, there was no issues with how much I had to turn up the amp. Now I have HD, I have to crank the amp upto 10 o clock on the watch scale.

Does anyone know why this is, and is it normal for it to be so quiet compared to the sky + version?

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Yeah i wandered this. Parents have the same problem. The HD channels are really quiet. Shouldnt the sound be better? On my virgin its also slightly quieter but not as bad as Sky. Why?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Davro83:Yeah i wandered this. Parents have the same problem. The HD channels are really quiet. Shouldnt the sound be better?

Quiet does not necessarily equal bad, just as loud doesn't mean it's good, just turn it up a bit more. It's a known issue with later models of SkyHD boxes, earlier ones, such as my Amstrad, are typically louder on HD channels than SD ones.

A

Anonymous

I've a new Amstrad Sky + HD box and when changing from SD to HD channels I have to turn the sound way down. I'm sure I've read that this is a common problem.

A

Anonymous

The sound seems to be different on every channel. HD and SD. It is frustrating to keep grabbing the remote.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
LittleLouie:I've a new Amstrad Sky + HD box and when changing from SD to HD channels I have to turn the sound way down. I'm sure I've read that this is a common problem.

I've been having a similar problem with the new 1TB box in my set-up. Sky told me that there will be an automatic fix released overnight tonight. So with a bit of luck the problem should have cleared up by tomorrow.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Not that it's any consolation, but I have the same problem on my Virgin V+ box. HD channels are much quieter than SD ones, but the BBC HD 'ad' is incredibly loud, so constantly adjusting the volume between programmes.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:but the BBC HD 'ad' is incredibly loud, so constantly adjusting the volume between programmes.

That the same on Sky, it's much louder than the surrounding programs. It's pretty irritating to be honest.

A

Anonymous

So we sit back and wait for the update from sky?

Or do we switch the box off at the wall, and then wait 1 minute to force the update?

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I have increased the volume on my Denon amp in the menu to take into account the difference from normal freeview sound.
Haven't noticed too much difference between channels but will take a look later.

A

Anonymous

Hi. SKY1 HD, CH4 HD & BBC HD all have louder than programme trailers & ads. Fortunatly I watch most things on SKY+ so can FF past them. Gerry.

A

Anonymous

Must be that as it is a better channel format, that the sound is better as well? Who Knows....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts