why is it so difficult?

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi i have a budget of 1500 quid and i want an AV system that works pretty well for music. This budget is just for the speakers and amp i have thot of the KEF AV50 and the denon 2310 havent listened to it though but it has been recommended.

Can someone pls give me some options? I listen to a lot of music thru my ipod and the missus watches a lot of movies so i am more concerned with its capacity to handle music properly. my room is 14 ft x 14 ft if that helps.

So difficult making the right choice so any help is welcome.

scene

Hi shnicks! The KEF AV50, with the iQ50s is a great set of speakers, but I've not seen it much below £1300... The Denon AVR2310 is a great AV amp, and OK for music.

A couple of questions: is you music source going to be you iPod, or do you have a CD/DVD player - if so what? Do you already have a BluRay player (do you want one), what TV are you going to be using (how big / make?) and are you thinking of 3D at all?

You listen to music - what sort?

Sorry to fire off all these questions, but horses for courses, and they'll help determine the recommendations...

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi thanks for getting back a bit strange 141 ppl have looked at this and only one person replied. Anyway to your questions:

My music source will be from my IPOD. For the blu ray, i have the sony BDP-S370 and i have the Samsung LE40B550 (40 inch)

I listen to a lot of r n b and rap music so bass is quite a big thing listen to a bit of rock as well but not often. I was thinking of a stereo system but have to compromise with the missus.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I would certainly go out and listen, I would try the denon 2310 hell maybe even the 1910 sounds like you wont be using all the options any way. Get some good stereo speakers to your likings and a surround set for the misses which prob would be a design thingie like the KEF 2005.3 etc. You can connect the stereo speakers to the b connections. And get a nice combination. I wont be as crisp as a stereo amp though but still it might be enough for your likings.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You'll only really get a shortlist to demo from reading up and advice. You'll really need to have a listen to the options or risk being disappointed.

I'd say a Denon would be good candidate as the bass is pretty tight and they are musical, with good detail. The new 11 models have iPod integbration but not sure about the 10s. Marantz are a bit more musical, but less control in the bass in general and based on my experience maybe not quite as good with films.

For your tastes I think Yamaha and Pioneer would be out as for me they didn't have the impact or control in the bass that you'll probably need.

Onkyo I've not listened to loads, but when I did found the detail in music was lacking, though the newer ones are meant to be more subtle.

My experience in speakers is mainly sub/sats, but when I've heard smaller KEFs the bass from the sub has been too slow for good music. B&Ws were good, but the Tannoys were the sub / sat speakers I found to have no real compromise for music and films. Monitor Audio, and Arcam (Muso/Logo supposed to be very good for music) are also well worth looking at.

shnicks

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys

i guess the general concensus is to go out and listen to quite a few combinations...hmm difficult as i live in aberdeen. Anyway thanks for all your help.

Its been great

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts