Why is Airplay Cutting out ?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I hvae set up my Pioneer sc-lx85 av amp and when I use Airplay from my Iphone 4S after about 2 mins it starts cutting out and sometimes looses connection all together. At first I thought this was an issue with my broadband streaming Spotify but the issue is the same while just playing music stored on the phone.

I currently have the amp connected directly to my aky router and I personally think this is down to the router. I just want to know if I connect the provided wireless network receiver to the amp will the phone speak directly to the amp ans miss the router all together ? I cant check this right now as the provided set up software that cam with this cannot be run on my fauly laptop.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'd imagine the amp's wireless receiver will try to connect to the router, however if your phone can create a wi-fi hotspot you should be able to connect the amp directly to the phone. You'll need to be careful of wireless interference though.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
When we tested AirPlay, we experienced frequent dropouts - this is a common problem with wi-fi systems I'm afraid. It could be down to interference from other local wi-fi networks, or things like cordless phones and microwaves. A wired connection will give more stable performance, but I appreciate this rather defeats the whole point of AirPlay, partiicularly with portable devices.

It might be worth trying to change the channel on your wireless router to see if that helps.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
I've had massive issues with AirPlay not working as it should. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. The remedy to get it working again was to reset it every time I wanted to use it.

I read on a site a while ago they have compatibility issues with Belkin routers. Whether that's true or not i couldn't say but I've definitely experienced dramas with my Belkin routers. Having said that I can't seem to get the damn thing working through a sky router.

Maybe I'm just a technology mong :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
When we tested AirPlay, we experienced frequent dropouts - this is a common problem with wi-fi systems I'm afraid. It could be down to interference from other local wi-fi networks, or things like cordless phones and microwaves. A wired connection will give more stable performance, but I appreciate this rather defeats the whole point of AirPlay, partiicularly with portable devices.

It might be worth trying to change the channel on your wireless router to see if that helps.

I must be lucky then. My Marantz is connected (with ethernet) to an AirPort Extreme 802.11n base station. I have not had wifi dropouts in over four years - since I bought it - nor any AirPlay dropouts with iPhone or iMac (iMac in adjacent room).

Do you mean wifi dropouts are frequent (causing AirPlay to drop) or that you have found AirPlay itself is prone to dropouts regardless of a stable wifi?

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Belkin N router, thinking that I would up my WiFi speed and get better peformance with Airplay, and had constant drop outs. I tried everything that all forums suggested with no joy at all, and in the end gave up and switched back to my Sky Netgear router, which works perfectly again.

The only issue I have occasionally now is I have to kill the remote app on my iphone before it will connect back up to my Apple TV. Strangely the issue never rears its head when using Airplay on the ipad.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
chebby said:
Do you mean wifi dropouts are frequent (causing AirPlay to drop) or that you have found AirPlay itself is prone to dropouts regardless of a stable wifi?

I meant it's more a general problem with wi-fi, rather than an inherent problem with AirPlay.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
It used to work perfectly for me - streaming from my MacBook pro to Apple TV. Since upgrading to Lion it's been pretty much unusable. I spent about 20 quid on Airfoil as well which is now rendered more or less useless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts