Why does Auddyssey add so much top end???

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
When using the supplied mic with my Dennon AVR2808 I go through the process of setting the speakers at 6 different positions as suggested in the manual. I have Tannoy signature rvolution DC6Ts which are naturally quite toppy, I also have laminate floor and glass furnishings giving my rooms a very high top end response.......So why does Auddyssey think to put 8Khz and 16Khz to the maximum ??? giving a tiny fizzy sound which is almost unbarable!!

I have read revies of the amp and how well Auddyssey has worked for others...I like the phasing a "wide" sound that Audyssey gives but there is no way I can alter the graphic EQ in this mode

Any ideas ?? Or does anyone else suffer the same ?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Little strange? If I run Audyssey on my onkyo 875 it turns my top end completely off so I just turn Audyssey off, by the way I have all Tannoy speakers with wideband tweeters.

The only thing I can think of is that you have the Mic in the wrong position when measuring. It must be at ear height when seated and nothing in the way between speaker and Mic.
smiley-cool.gif

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I am using the supplied Denon Mic - which apparently is a shure mic - All I can imagine is its making the speakers sound smaller by reducing bottom end and adding top end ? I sit about 9ft from the speakers
Also, it puts my Sub woofer (Tannoy TS12) to -12dB with everything else around +2 making it inaudable! I am starting to wonder if this is a fault...?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Never trust Audyssey for subwoofer settings as IV found it never gets it right, plus THX recommend to set the subwoofer with a SPL meter, here’s a little section from my manual.

“• Because of the complexities of low-frequency soundsand the way they interact with a room, THX recommends

setting the subwoofer level and distance manually”

You say you set up Audyssey with 6 different positions as suggested in your manual, well I tried that as well and it always got all of my speaker distances wrong, so I tried using only the 3 measuring positions which are - where you sit “listening position” then to the right of the listening position then left of the listening position and it worked like a charm.

Try that and see what happens.
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts