Why do some programmes give deeper blacks than others?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have noticed this on a number of occasions and just wandered if anyone had any ideas? By the way i view all the channels i have through a virgin media box

A

Anonymous

HI LCDTV,

I think it has something to do with the quality of equipment that they use at source when they originally record the programme, such as one channels pictures would vary in quality against anothers, it depends on the recording equipment. Also I wonder as with music you put the signal through a mixing desk 1st before it is copied, they have a similar type of thing for picture? It may be as simple as who is the target audience? for daytime TV watchers they would produce something on a much lesser quality or budget that if it were broadcasting on a prime time channel at prime time viewing?? As thosae people wouyld probaly be at work during the day earning money to save up for all this damn expensive technology!

Well, there's my 2 penneth & at least someone came back to you, but not a clue how accurate if at all it is! :O)

A

Anonymous

call me mr chips:
HI LCDTV,

I think it has something to do with the quality of equipment that they use at source when they originally record the programme, such as one channels pictures would vary in quality against anothers, it depends on the recording equipment. Also I wonder as with music you put the signal through a mixing desk 1st before it is copied, they have a similar type of thing for picture? It may be as simple as who is the target audience? for daytime TV watchers they would produce something on a much lesser quality or budget that if it were broadcasting on a prime time channel at prime time viewing?? As thosae people wouyld probaly be at work during the day earning money to save up for all this damn expensive technology!

Well, there's my 2 penneth & at least someone came back to you, but not a clue how accurate if at all it is! :O)

Well thanks for your input, i appreciate it.

A

Anonymous

Afraid I don't know the answer but have seen this on DVDs as well.

So I would think that Call Me Mr Chips could be right,

John Duncan

Seeing as the equipment it's recorded with, and the equipment it's broadcast with, is capable of far and above the quality of our playback equipment, I'd say it's more likely to be differences in exposure.

Very few things are actually totally black, so you could argue that you're more likely to see deeper blacks with video equipment than film, because it (generalising again) tends to have lower dynamic range, and can show fewer gradations (ie nearly black = totally black)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts