Why buy Marantz NA 7004 while the MCR 603 exists?!

popjac11

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm deeply sorry if I've missed something glaringly obvious here, but I fail to see why you'd spend £100+ more on the NA7004 for the privilege of NOT having the built in amplification and cd playback that the MCR 603 offers?

The MCR 603 seems much better value for money surely?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Simple: if you've already got a damn good CD player and amplifier, you can just slot the NA7004 into your system to add the streaming element.

Not everyone is looking for a one-box solution.

popjac11

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Clare, I'm glad there isn't one magical feature I was missing!

Don't you think it's a little overpriced though? At least in comparison to the MCR 603?

T

the record spot

It's apples and oranges. A better amp would see off the 603, good though it apparently is. It's still ultimately a 40watter (or 60 at 4ohms) and it'll toil when pushed. Were the 7004 delivered with an onboard amp, you might have a case, but as you can pair up any amp with the streamer, it'll benefit from the additional flexibility. Of course, I think you can add an offboard power amp to the 603, in which case, it changes the balance again.

popjac11

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Not really: extend that logic and no CD player should cost more than the least expensive micro-system on the market.

Good point, therefore the streaming and DAC capabilities of the NA7004 should be better than the MCR603's?

Like you'd expect a pricer cd player to outperform a micro system?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts