Why are all blu ray music discs live ?

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have some DVD audio discs which are brilliant sound and multi speaker sound even though my current play says does not play them it does proberly at a lower bit rate or something but still sound great

why is it that all blu ray music discs are live so don't get the quality as bands never sound the same live as they do in the studio and crowd spoiling the sound am I missing something or is it just me that feels this way ?

Are there any music blu rays that are not live and at higher quality than standard DVD

i am thinking of buying a different blu ray player so I can listen to super audio Compact discs as I remember when I had DVD audio there was always more sacd available

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I just listened to that album on iTunes to see if I like it was ok but can't say I would rush out and buy it if you pardon the pun lolol any others

I have the following on DVD audio disc

Linkin Park surround effects are excellent

REM again surround is very good

John Michelle jarre imthinkmthat is how it is spelt pretty good too

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Check out Tom Petty's

Mojo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mojo-Special-Edition-Blu-ray-Audio/dp/B003L45JLW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351064529&sr=8-5

and also

Damn the Torpedoes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damn-The-Torpedoes-Classic-Blu-ray/dp/B002RPLC80/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351064529&sr=8-3

Also, take a look at the 2L website...some good stuff.

http://www.2l.no/

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have a couple of music Blu Rays. Return To Forever Live at Montreaux is my current demo disc, far better performances and recording than the vast majority of studio recordings and the lowest bass of any music recording I have, the other is Rush Moving Pictures which is ok but not the improvement I was hoping for.

If you have DVD-A capability, the 40th anniversary release of Larks' Tongues in Aspic is quite remarkable.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense, fantastic audio!

Yes it's a concert film, but includes both theatrical and studio mixes in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

The studio mix (quoting directly from the blu-ray notes) was created using "the original mutli-track tapes from the theatrical mix... creating a tight studio-like account of the performance... the listener will feel like he is at the mixing board..."

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
DVD-A as with SACD was really before it’s time.

People had only just started replacing their vinyl with CD and then only a few short years later not only were they expected to change it all over again, but they were also expected to buy another (and very expensive) player to run it on. Add on the marketing – and confusing - hype of multi-channel surround sound which would require a new amp, speakers etc., and no wonder it never took off.

In those days pretty much everyone I knew cared about SQ. Not people necessarily interested in “hi-fi”, but people who at the very least would be looking at the next best “stack” system if nothing else. Then Steve Jobs came along and convinced the masses that they could have it all on something the size of a box of matches.

Just my opinion of course, but I genuinely believe that Jobs killed any interest/caring/concern that the “masses” may have had in SQ. BR as with DVD-A had/has massive potential but sadly will never be realised in what is now a niche market.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers said:
DVD-A as with SACD was really before it’s time.

People had only just started replacing their vinyl with CD and then only a few short years later not only were they expected to change it all over again, but they were also expected to buy another (and very expensive) player to run it on. Add on the marketing – and confusing - hype of multi-channel surround sound which would require a new amp, speakers etc., and no wonder it never took off.

In those days pretty much everyone I knew cared about SQ. Not people necessarily interested in “hi-fi”, but people who at the very least would be looking at the next best “stack” system if nothing else. Then Steve Jobs came along and convinced the masses that they could have it all on something the size of a box of matches.

Just my opinion of course, but I genuinely believe that Jobs killed any interest/caring/concern that the “masses” may have had in SQ. BR as with DVD-A had/has massive potential but sadly will never be realised in what is now a niche market.

Currently reading Neil Young's autobiog and he would wholeheartedly endorse your last paragraph.

Me too, with a few caveats.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Mmm, audio-only/hi-fi-grade universal disc spinners that play Redbook CDs, SACDs and Blu-rays, plus hybrid Blu-ray audio discs that contain Redbook and uncompressed - 192kHz? - versions of an album to replace regular CDs? Yes, please! :pray:

It could happen, but it won't |(

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Currently reading Neil Young's autobiog and he would wholeheartedly endorse your last paragraph.

Me too, with a few caveats.

Care to share the caveats?

Well, I have iPods, an iPhone and an iPad, so I'm hardly a non-believer in the products of Jobs et al.

The sheer convenience of all these devices, including many pertaining to music, make them a vital part of my daily existence. Aaaaarrrhh!

That said, I prefer to play high quality music whenever I can, at present that's vinyl, Blu-ray audio, Lossless files. Only the latter are portable.

I'd love to hear NY's Pono system and it would be great if hi-Rez music went mainstream enough for iTunes or 7 Digital or whoever to roll it out on a large scale.

And yes to 6th Rep's comments too.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Been looking at buying some blu ray music discs ans seems can only get concerts can you recommend any for good sound quality pref dts master audio or true hd audio Dolby version the exact name escapes me now

Thanks

Ian

D

Deleted member 2457

Ian986 said:
Any other recommendations ?

Slash Made In Stoke Blu-ray is out of this world! Best I have heard! Iron Maiden Flight 666, Amy Winehouse and Keane.

Papalazarou75

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Iron maiden's flight 666 sure is a belter, Tarja (Turrenen) act1 is probably the best music blu ray i have seen so far - pq & sound are amazing (awesome vocalist & band)- AC/DC live at donnington, AC/DC live at river plate all good stuff :dance:

D

Deleted member 2457

Papalazarou75 said:
Iron maiden's flight 666 sure is a belter, Tarja (Turrenen) act1 is probably the best music blu ray i have seen so far - pq & sound are amazing (awesome vocalist & band)- AC/DC live at donnington, AC/DC live at river plate all good stuff :dance:

I thought I forgot one! AC/DC Live at Donnington is brilliant!
smiley-smile.gif
One of my favourites too.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I've just got Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill on blu-ray, pcm stereo 24/192. Sounds ok but quite different when sent to hi-fi via rca. Thinking of getting a dac but looking at the manual for my sony s760 the digi out it appears to downgrade the signal. [48khz/16bit - outputs audio signals of 96khz sampling as 48khz/16 bit. or 96khz/24bit - outputs audio signals of 96khz sampling as 96khz/24bit. However the signals will be output as 48khz/16bit if the source is copy protected] Whats that all about? What is it sending via hdmi?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
unfocused said:
The Rolling Stones recent compilation Grrr! has a Blu Ray release.

Stereo only PCM, DTS-HD and Dolby True HD

Just ordered this one. i was going to buy at HMV and support my local shop, but £18.99, compared to £11.99 on Amazon ?

My money went online, and please don't say it's because of VAT - that would only account for a £2.50 difference :)

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got Metallica Black Album on DVD AUDIO I just sat there with my mouth wide open enter the sandman has never sounded as good the bass was so deep and guitars coming from every speaker

D

Deleted member 2457

Ian986 said:
Just got Metallica Black Album on DVD AUDIO I just sat there with my mouth wide open enter the sandman has never sounded as good the bass was so deep and guitars coming from every speaker

Is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metallica-Black-Album-DVD-Audio-CD-Surround-Sound-Audiophile-RARE-/380515158127

I have always wanted that one.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is it just listened to enter the sandman again worth it just for that !

Cost £35 my mate picked up from states shipping cost twice as much as disc

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I only have 1 music blu-ray thats not live.

Rammstein - video collection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rammstein-Videos-1995-2012-Blu-ray/dp/B00ABA1OP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358892969&sr=8-1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts