WHY Adele 25 IS NOT ON SPOTIFY ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I know nothing about Adele. Texting 23 year-old daughter to see what she thinks and checking on Wikipedia.

Oddly enough I was listening to 'Trust In Me' by Etta James earlier (from 'Mad Men Music 2' on Apple Music) who - amongst others - is an influence on Adele apparently.

Why so hated? Is it a size thing? I read that she has had some high profile criticism about her weight so - given the preponderance of white 3Ms on here - I wondered if that was it.

Is it just an Amy Winehouse type phenomena where it was hip to hate her when she was at the peak of her fame?

I've not heard her yet but surely she must be able to sing (a bit anyway) considering all the 'A list' artists who now cite Adele as an influence!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
21 wasn't on the streaming services for ages either. But no great loss imo, she's one of the modern generation of wailers and warblers kickstarted by the likes of Whitney Houston and the equally-detestable Mariah Carey, who murdered every song she sang. You don't have a great voice just because you can sweep five octaves, the likes of Karen Carpenter, Enya, the ABBA girls, and Annie Lennox, among others, absolutely wiped the floor with the lot of them. Oh and best not mention legends like Burly Chassis.
i like abba they were well head of time with there songs back in the day and have every album of there's

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
JMac said:
She said she wasnt making it available to online streaming services. Guessing they dont make enough money from it in relation to normal sales. I suspect it'll appear eventually once everyone who wants to has bought a copy.

More illegal downloads to be expected....?

For me Spotify is the place that i can check out new artista/bands and see if justify to by the CD or vinyl.?

?

This.  If artists think by throwing their weight around they'll combat illegal downloads they're in for a rude awakening.

It's got nothing to do with combating illegal downloads, someone like Adele doesn't have to worry about that, as mentioned it's already the fastest selling album in (recent) history, up against that illegal downloads are irrelevant.

They earn money from Spotify

Well this is kind of the point, they don't earn any real money from it. A few years back lady gaga held the record for the most streams, err, streamed on spotify, number in the many, many millions. For all that she reportedly earned about £8k from spotify (that's not a typo, eight thousand pounds). When you know you're going to sell millions of physical copies, you have to ask, what's the point of putting it on spotify?

and many people who discover acts via services like this go on to buy a back catalogue of work and many will attend concerts.

I don't think too many people need to "discover" Adele any where now and I doubt she'll have any trouble selling tickets for her gigs somehow...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Why so hated? Is it a size thing? I read that she has had some high profile criticism about her weight so - given the preponderance of white 3Ms on here - I wondered if that was it.

Is it just an Amy Winehouse type phenomena where it was hip to hate her when she was at the peak of her fame?

I've not heard her yet but surely she must be able to sing (a bit anyway)  considering all the 'A list' artists who now cite Adele as an influence!

To answer the questions, yes, yes and yes, seems you know more about her than you thought Chebby. In the case of one of our more misogynistic posters I expect it's also the raging jealousy of seeing another southerner having some success. If she'd been from, dare I say it, Liverpool, that poster would be shouting about "Arr Delly" from the rooftops or something.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As others have said - she doesn't need to and can make more money by not doing so. Unfortunately not all artists have such power.

This will probably come across as me trying to be hip in some way, but I don't think I've ever heard her music. Or maybe I have without knowing it was her. I guess it helps being away from the English speaking world.

Checks out the charts - daily singles rankings. And I don't think any of these appear on Apple Music here in Japan (available on iTunes). Probably not worth checking out on Spotify even if they are on there.
1Must be now
NMB48

up
2夢を見れば傷つくこともある
KinKi Kids

down
3今、話したい誰かがいる
乃木坂46

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Who needs the pre-digested pap churned out by Adele and the rest listed above?

Some people obviously do, though,

Well my wife for one, and my daughter (27) too. They love X-Factor also, and the odd occasion I have walked in the room when it's on it's clear the contestants all come from the Mariah Carey school of singing ie. why use one note when ten will do.

No wonder that when we last moved house my first requirement was for two living rooms with thick walls.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
21 wasn't on the streaming services for ages either. But no great loss imo, she's one of the modern generation of wailers and warblers kickstarted by the likes of Whitney Houston and the equally-detestable Mariah Carey, who murdered every song she sang. You don't have a great voice just because you can sweep five octaves, the likes of Karen Carpenter, Enya, the ABBA girls, and Annie Lennox, among others, absolutely wiped the floor with the lot of them. Oh and best not mention legends like Burly Chassis.

This should be inscribed onto a cricket bat that is used to beat these warblers around the head everytime a new one appears!

They murder songs with their 'look at me everyone, look, look what I can do' approach.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Jota180 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
JMac said:
She said she wasnt making it available to online streaming services. Guessing they dont make enough money from it in relation to normal sales. I suspect it'll appear eventually once everyone who wants to has bought a copy.

More illegal downloads to be expected....

For me Spotify is the place that i can check out new artista/bands and see if justify to by the CD or vinyl.

This. If artists think by throwing their weight around they'll combat illegal downloads they're in for a rude awakening.

It's got nothing to do with combating illegal downloads, someone like Adele doesn't have to worry about that, as mentioned it's already the fastest selling album in (recent) history, up against that illegal downloads are irrelevant.

They earn money from Spotify

Well this is kind of the point, they don't earn any real money from it. A few years back lady gaga held the record for the most streams, err, streamed on spotify, number in the many, many millions. For all that she reportedly earned about £8k from spotify (that's not a typo, eight thousand pounds). When you know you're going to sell millions of physical copies, you have to ask, what's the point of putting it on spotify?

and many people who discover acts via services like this go on to buy a back catalogue of work and many will attend concerts.

I don't think too many people need to "discover" Adele any where now and I doubt she'll have any trouble selling tickets for her gigs somehow...

That doesn't take into account the amount of people who heard Lady Gaga for the first time via Spotify then became a fan and bought her back catalogue off the back of it.

Lets face it, modern popular acts are played on Radio One and you couldn't get me to tune into Radio One under threat of death so where are people like me meant to 'discover' songs from the likes of Adele, Gaga and the like? I may actually like some of these acts but will NEVER hear them as I do not tune into teenage radio/TV.

I belong to a music tracker, a private torrent site, one that is full of obscure music and artists spanning nearly a hundred years and the way I use it is if I find some act I like, I buy their back catalogue and in the case of Dr John ('Mac' Rebennack) I've bought about 25 of his CD's on the back of downloading one.

I'm much the same when I tune into Radio Paradise which plays an eclectic mix, I find a song I really like and end up buying the CD. If I like that I buy all their CD's. Artists gain by maximising the coverage of their work. Yes some people will just be intent on nicking it but then they would anyway no matter what Adele decides to do but by going down the route she is going she misses exposing people like me to her work.

Some people nicking their work doesn't mean they're losing money if they are people who wouldn't have chanced buying it in the first place but having your music out to as wide an audience as possible can only maximise the number of people who listen to it and in turn maximises the number of people who could become a fan.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Lets face it, modern popular acts are played on Radio One and you couldn't get me to tune into Radio One under threat of death so where are people like me meant to 'discover' songs from the likes of Adele, Gaga and the like? I may actually like some of these acts but will NEVER hear them as I do not tune into teenage radio/TV.

In Adele's case I would expect she actually gets more airplay on Radio 2 than Radio 1, she isn't being marketed to the teenage market, this is strictly MOR-AOR stuff.

I belong to a music tracker, a private torrent site, one that is full of obscure music and artists spanning nearly a hundred years and the way I use it is if I find some act I like, I buy their back catalogue and in the case of Dr John ('Mac' Rebennack) I've bought about 25 of his CD's on the back of downloading one.

I'm much the same when I tune into Radio Paradise which plays an eclectic mix, I find a song I really like and end up buying the CD. If I like that I buy all their CD's. Artists gain by maximising the coverage of their work. Yes some people will just be intent on nicking it but then they would anyway no matter what Adele decides to do but by going down the route she is going she misses exposing people like me to her work.

Again, you're entirely missing the point. People like you (people that actually care about actively seeking out interesting music and not just listening to what everyone else is listening to) are less than 1% of the available market (probably, that's a guess but it doesn't really matter, you're rare, is the point). Adele has this market sewn up, a BBC exclusive TV show (syndicated around the world no doubt), a week of airplay on Radio 2 and she has the fastest selling album in history (including the US) and she's at number 1 for 4 weeks or something (until that Bieber-thing turns up with 3 entries in the top ten, I wonder how many people on this thread would rather listen to him than Adele?). Why would she care about the half a dozen people who don't manage to hear the song on the radio or haven't already pre-ordered it before hearing anything off the album?

Some people nicking their work doesn't mean they're losing money if they are people who wouldn't have chanced buying it in the first place but having your music out to as wide an audience as possible can only maximise the number of people who listen to it and in turn maximises the number of people who could become a fan.

No disrespect, but given the level of sales she's already achieved, punters like yourself are a practical irrelevance...

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Jota180 said:

In Adele's case I would expect she actually gets more airplay on Radio 2 than Radio 1, she isn't being marketed to the teenage market, this is strictly MOR-AOR stuff.

Again, you're entirely missing the point. People like you (people that actually care about actively seeking out interesting music and not just listening to what everyone else is listening to) are less than 1% of the available market (probably, that's a guess but it doesn't really matter, you're rare, is the point). Adele has this market sewn up, a BBC exclusive TV show (syndicated around the world no doubt), a week of airplay on Radio 2 and she has the fastest selling album in history (including the US) and she's at number 1 for 4 weeks or something (until that Bieber-thing turns up with 3 entries in the top ten, I wonder how many people on this thread would rather listen to him than Adele?). Why would she care about the half a dozen people who don't manage to hear the song on the radio or haven't already pre-ordered it before hearing anything off the album?

No disrespect, but given the level of sales she's already achieved, punters like yourself are a practical irrelevance...

I'm not a radio 2 listener either. Any radio station that has a rabbiting DJ can GTF as far as I'm concerned!

I also take issue with your arithmetic. Radio 2 gets around 9 million listeners, that means 40 odd million people aren't tuning in.

While we're on the subject of arithmetic and fastest sales Spotify has doubled it's subscriber base from 10 million to 20 million in the space of one year. Between November 2014 and January 2015 Spotify added 10 million users. Between January and June of this year Spotify added 15 million users. It had 75 million active users as of June this year but that's likely approaching 100 million now.

It's possible radio stations will lose people to services like Spotify where they have no annoying DJ's and a wide selection of music.

If their world wide growth continues at that rate artists would be mugs to avoid the largest listener audience on the planet.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
According to RAJAR's Sept 2015 quarterly report Radio 2 has 15.3 million listeners (aged 15+) who each listen to an average of 11.8 hours per week.

There are national TV stations who would kill for those kind of stats.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
If their world wide growth continues at that rate artists would be mugs to avoid the largest listener audience on the planet.

I don't know what else to say to you, however Adele and her team have chosen to play it they've clearly won the game, she's the biggest artist in the world. You may not think you're missing out by not hearing her but I doubt they think they're missing out either.

If you want to hear any of it however, just stick a commercial radio station on for about 30 minutes, you're bound to get at least one playing of Hello in that time...

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

What he said

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have CD's by Carey, Adele, Lady G, Houston, Dion, Madge and Beyonce - all purchased in the years when they were in their 'prime', as well as Annie and ABBA (LP). A lot of people will have collected these over the years.

But I also have Karen C, Gladys, Barbara and Randy Crawford who I have discovered later on. Especially Randy Crawford who I discovered fully earlier this year by chance. I now want much more of this and that's why I will soon have spotify.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Wow.

Some odd replies on here.

Not a massive fan, but I like alot of her songs.

Yet we have subjective opinions from people who do not like her, commenting on a thread with her name on it. From war-mongering asses, bible-nutcases who think the world is less than 10K years old and intelligent folk who should know better...We are all different, all like different things...

AND THAT'S WHY MUSIC IS SO SPECIAL!!!!

Jesus H on a bike!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jonathanRD said:
I have CD's by Carey, Adele, Lady G, Houston, Dion, Madge and Beyonce

Wow! Am I glad I don't live next door to you. *shok*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

manicm said:
Celine Dion

This is possibly the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen, Celine Dion does Ragga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD1scv8ywQQ

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

As for Adele, my 79 year old dad summed it up nicely, A bit samey, and a bit boring.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jonathanRD said:

*biggrin*

I used to live next door to someone who repeatedly played 'I Want To Dance With Somebody', drove me nuts!

Maybe they just wanted you to go round and dance with them. *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jonathanRD said:

*biggrin*

I used to live next door to someone who repeatedly played 'I Want To Dance With Somebody', drove me nuts!

It wouldn't have been so bad, but I was on 'nights' at the time, can you imagine being woken up by that?!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jonathanRD said:

*biggrin*

It wouldn't have been so bad, but I was on 'nights' at the time, can you imagine being woken up by that?!

I think I may have made the local news programme if they had. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts