Who's got the best amplifier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

He's a forum member why foul....?
I like Rick, and David for that matter. He may be a forum member but he's a dealer so has access to all kinds of exotic kit which he may not actually own. Therefore, dealers contributions should be taken with caution, that's why I called foul :)

Reactions: eazyryder
D

Deleted member 108165

My vote would go to Sabbath as his Yammy is so darn pretty, (who said anything about sounding the best anyway) :)

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 108165

I'll play. My Japan only Sony TA-F444ESX. If it's not the best on this thread I bet it was the best value. I got for a whopping £0.00 from a fellow Wammer :D
That looks like one hell of an amp Insider... good kit only comes out of Japan :)

Reactions: insider9

jedaisoul

May 16, 2020
Visit site
I am honoured to possess the amplifier is undoubtedly the best not only for all time past, present and future, but also all relativistic proper time. What is it? The Q Pertors C-236. Not a name that you may be familiar with in the higher reaches of audio exotica, perhaps because it costs the mighty sum of £33.00. Not £33,000 nor even £33 million. Yes. £33.00. A truly mind-boggling sum.

So what do you get, in the unlikely event that you can afford it? A power output of three thousand eight hundred Watts. Thats 3.8 KILO Watts. That transcends the world of Newtonian physics and enters the probabilistic sphere of relativity.

What are the odds against this phenomenal performance? Particularly as it is
powered by a 12 volt supply that supplies 10 amps into a 1.2 Ohm load. Clearly,
the device is obtaining the bulk of its power from some other source, perhaps
micro black holes in its output transistors? or the mighty gravitational forces of the Sun? Wherever this astonishing amount of power comes from, I have had to screw the device to the top of a JPW SW1 subwoofer to stop it levitating.

So, what does this fabled device sound like? Surprisingly mild mannered. I must admit that I have yet to turn the volume up from its lowest stop, for fear of demolishing the house, but I'll leave that pleasure for another day...

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Nice one everyone! It's great to return to WHF forum. I am still breaking in my Moon 240i intergrated amp(4th day now), it was a tough decision, as I love my Plinius 8200 MK2 integrated, plenty power to drive Spendor, but I was thinking of downsizing, almost went for Yamaha s2200, also Yamaha S801 seems really good on the paper(great price too) but I worry that I will catch upgrade bug soon. The thing is I wanted the new amp to be somewhat different than Plinius, so tried to steer toward warm sound.
My speakers are Spendor Classic SP2/3R, Esoteric SA50 SACD/CD player, as the Spendor loves power I was really unsure if Moon 240i would drive them properly with 50W, got a bit nervous that there was no bass the first two days. Now the bass is coming out, I will be happy to update after 2 weeks. So yeah my Plinius 8200MK2 is for sale.
Best
Andy

I'd have to say the Rotel RA-1062 I recently purchased is now slouch for a 'midrange' amp.

1076313-da950924-rotel-ra1062-integrated-amp.jpg
Nice one everyone! It's great to return to WHF forum. I am still breaking in my Moon 240i intergrated amp(4th day now), it was a tough decision, as I love my Plinius 8200 MK2 integrated, plenty power to drive Spendor, but I was thinking of downsizing, almost went for Yamaha s2200, also Yamaha S801 seems really good on the paper(great price too) but I worry that I will catch upgrade bug soon. The thing is I wanted the new amp to be somewhat different than Plinius, so tried to steer toward warm sound.
My speakers are Spendor Classic SP2/3R, Esoteric SA50 SACD/CD player, as the Spendor loves power I was really unsure if Moon 240i would drive them properly with 50W, got a bit nervous that there was no bass the first two days. Now the bass is coming out, I will be happy to update after 2 weeks. So yeah my Plinius 8200MK2 is for sale.
Best
Andy
Hopefully you'll get a good price for it, I really rate Plinius gear

Last edited:
Reactions: MUSICRAFT
D

Deleted member 116933

I love my very lowly powered Sugden A21 sig it does the job for me, Picture is a little out of date though.
Sill manufactured and assembled in the Uk and they still solder their own circuit boards. And comes with a little tag with its birthdate on and who bought it into the world.

Its insides are very simple indeed! (not my picture)

wish to get its Granpa for a second system when one cropes up for sale.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Sugden insides.jpg
    Sugden insides.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Al ears

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I'd have to say the Rotel RA-1062 I recently purchased is now slouch for a 'midrange' amp.

Thanks, Plinius is quality stuff, built like a tank, a great all rounder, have owned it for over 10 years, never had any issue, I figure if I want to go down the route of upgrade game with Plinius, I will be in a serious debt haha. One thing Plinius and Moon have in common is both are very easy for delving deep into music.

View attachment 1288

Thank you my friend, Plinius is quality stuff, built like a tank, an all rounder, never had any issues, I figure if I want to play the upgrade game with Plinius, I might go bankrupt soon haha. However I might even keep it as a second system in my bedroom in case I fail to find someone who would appreciate it.
Just a quick impression on Moon compared to Plinius, both are easy for delving deep into music, both sound very natural, however Moon does clarity slightly different from Plinius, After playing continuously for 5 days, I find Plinius sound stage is a bit deeper and wider, but this could change after another week of playing. I am a violinist trained in Classical tradition, Moon does finesse really well, the difference in violin playing style and how the performers project their sound acoustically, in violin world, the bow is the voice, and I could hear different bow pressure and contact with the strings. Plinius does it very well but different.
Moon's presentation feels more laid back than Plinius, but its ability to extract detail makes the listening experience truly engaging. I'm into eclectic stuff so Moon also has the ability to shine in Rock, Blues, Jazz, Electronics etc too. I feel Plinius is more neutral, allows the music to speak for itself, it made me appreciate Nigel Godrich's vision when producing Radiohead, or mastering by Van Gelders on John Coltrane's Love Supreme, Moon for me is more intimate, however I think my Esoteric contribute a lot to that sound as well.
I occasionally crank up the volume, but normally listening in low level, I just feel Moon 240i can improve maybe partnering with its power amp, I remember my friend's JBL classic(the 70s) driven by pre/power Jeff Rowland in his Cafe, the details still come through in low level, amazing.

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I love my very lowly powered Sugden A21 sig it does the job for me, Picture is a little out of date though.
Sill manufactured and assembled in the Uk and they still solder their own circuit boards. And comes with a little tag with its birthdate on and who bought it into the world.

Its insides are very simple indeed! (not my picture)

wish to get its Granpa for a second system when one cropes up for sale.
Nice, Sugden is one of those amps I really want to audition, one day!

gasolin

Denon PMA-900v very powerfull even with -10 db attenuators it doesn't require much on the volume to make my 85 db speaker loud, all the letters are as new not a single letter,number sign that isn't perfect

Look how big the capacitors are compared to the only a little less powerful PMA-700V, 50%

2020-05-27 13_05_59-Window.png

D

Deleted member 2457

I would like to throw mine into the mix the Pioneer sc-lx81 with a sound that is more additive the crack cocaine! Probably. Let’s throw the best review of your amp you can find too:

Because most amps on here don’t mean nothing to me. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 116933

I would like to throw mine into the mix the Pioneer sc-lx81 with a sound that is more additive the crack cocaine! Probably. Let’s throw the best review of your amp you can find too:

Because most amps on here don’t mean nothing to me. Thanks!

LOL, seems that Sugden wants this to be kept a secret, The signature version has yet to be reviewed as far as I can tell, with a 20-sec google search. The model up seems to be the flavour of the month instead for good reason.

But the a21 has been around for 60 years in various shapes, so people must like it. Well im guessing anyhow

Reactions: Deleted member 2457

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts