Who has seen an OLED TV?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Have been using the Sony Broadcast 24" Grade 1 OLED monitors for a couple of years now and yes they are stunningly good, quite easily matching and in some ways surpassing the Sony HD CRT monitors they replaced. And we are not using the top of the range ones either - they are more intended for DI and grading purposes. If the domestic versions are anywhere near the quality of the broadcast monitors then you are all in for a real treat.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Saw the Samsung in JLP today and it was 'ok', probably down to poor demo content and set up in "shop mode" but off that i don't see the fuss.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I saw one last monday and mentioned it in this thread, the only problem is with 4K tv's coming out soon, it will probably be out of date as soon as you've bought it and at £7000 it is a bit expensive.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
I saw one last monday and mentioned it in this thread, the only problem is with 4K tv's coming out soon, it will probably be out of date as soon as you've bought it and at £7000 it is a bit expensive.

It seems like you were quite impressed then. How much better is it than a Panasonic plasma, and what areas does it beat it in? Cheers.

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Not seen an OLED TV myself, but I have played on the PS Vitas screen, and that is very tasty.

The only thing that bothers me about OLED (besides the price) is the possibility of screen burn. I have read a few complaints about PS Vita screen burn, but how will larger OLED screens cope with burn in?

Slooper said:
Not seen an OLED TV myself, but I have played on the PS Vitas screen, and that is very tasty. The only thing that bothers me about OLED (besides the price) is the possibility of screen burn. I have read a few complaints about PS Vita screen burn, but how will larger OLED screens cope with burn in?
Burn in & screen burn are entirely different things. :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Slooper said:
So what is the difference between the two then?

The two phrases are often used interchangeably, but would probably most commonly be recognised as follows:

'Burn-in' is temporary (also known as 'Image Retention' or IR), can be relatively common (especially if the TVs been showing a news channel or a video game for an extended period), and is usually easy to get rid of (it either dissapears naturally after displaying other images for a while, or can be got rid of using panel settings on the TV).

'Screen Burn' is permament (do not pass go, do not collect £200, it won't go away so your TV is knackered and your warrantee doesn't cover it).

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I would like to know if OLED is here to stay :pray: or just a flash in the pan, i have a few years left on my current tv but i'm hoping for a 4K OLED tv for less than £2000 in the next few years.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
I would like to know if OLED is here to stay :pray: or just a flash in the pan, i have a few years left on my current tv but i'm hoping for a 4K OLED tv for less than £2000 in the next few years.

I would think it is here to stay, Panasonic have stopped investing in plasma to focus more on OLED.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would think OLED would be my next TV, either that or a Samsung plasma if they continue with them.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Slooper said:
Excellent, thank you for the info. So do you think that OLED is prone to permanent screen burn or is it a temporary problem?

Don't know, suspect no-one quite knows for sure yet apart from the manufacturers as there are too few sets in circulation and they haven't been out for very long (and I doubt we'll get an honest answer from the manufacturers when they're trying to convince people to part with £7,000 for a 55" TV). There are concerns as well about loss of colour accuracy over time due to the panels ability to display blue colours degrading faster than for other colours. Again though, too few sets in circulationn for for too little time for anyone to be sure how the new models will perform.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts