Who has ATC SCM40 - any comments?

A

Anonymous

Hi Chrismm

was in the same boat as you a few months ago as to choice of speakers and amplifier matching.

After demoing brand after brand i settled for the ATC SCM40.the simple reason being their neutrality.

and the reviews accompanying it made me realise i made the right choice.

I have my SCM 40 set up to a Yamaha AS2000 and CDS2000 and was amazed by the difference the dedicated mid driver made to the middle band which in turn took the strain off the bass driver.

When i listen to music the voices heard had an extra level of smoothness and clarity.

The sealed box of the ATC makes the bass sound incredible and there is no muddying in the midrange.

I enjoy listening to my ATC and intend purchasing a few extra components to complete my AV side of my living room.

ATC do not have any problem with room positioning as it could be place against the wall or about 10" away.

There is a whole issue out there about watts and current to power these ATC but my Yamaha AS2000 which is 100w per channel makes my ATC sing all day without any problems.

Hope this helps.

For the price and its capabilities in comparison with othere brands you cant beat ATC. As you might be aware ATC loudspeakers are hand built to order with a 6 year warranty.

ChrisMM:

Glowing reviews in WHF but interested in user feedback, especially with regards to room interaction and amplifier matching.

Hi ChrisMM

The SCM40's are imo are excellent. They are not too fussy about room positioning. The Naim amps have the quality and power to work nicely with the ATC's.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

ChrisMM:
Glowing reviews in WHF but interested in user feedback, especially with regards to room interaction and amplifier matching.

It's obviously a matter of taste, but I didn't like the SCM-40s. I heard them in two demos and in a home trial with very good amplification. To my ears the SCM-40s seemed very transparent, dynamic etc. However, compared to other speakers, its bass performance disappoints, particularly in its ability to reproduce the lower frequencies. I settled on a pair of Harbeth SHL5 which is more to my liking. Have a listen and get what you prefer...

A

Anonymous

I bought the ATC SCM40s cos they can handle all genres of music. some speakers are good for light jazz, country and classical and are lousy when playing rock and hip-hop. the ATCs can handle all types of music - that's the main advantage.

as for amps - i hv used the ATC SCM40s successfully with an audiolab 8000s (60 watts), a sugden c28 pre/p28 power (45 watts, I think) and a bryston 3b sst (150 watts). the ATCs sounded best with the bryston cos of their lack of efficency (85db) but the sugden sounded surprisingly loud.

if you have a powerful amp - around 100 watts - and if you listen too all types of music, especially rock, go for the ATCs.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare, can i just ask why the scm19's aren't in the reviews section? i know you have 5star rated them but they're not there or in the buying guide in the back of the mag.

A

Anonymous

Well, first post here, but I'll share my two cents worth of knowledge...

I can only recommend the SCM40's: they are a great, natural sounding speaker: they really reproduce the information you are feeding into them. This means: excellent recording, fabulous sound and thrilling mids; but bad recordings, similar sound. Don't buy ATC if you want all your CDs to sound the same, however if you really would like to hear what the producer intended to do, then you are in the right place.

Don't get confused by all comments around sensitivity and high power etc... In my experience, pay particular attention to the pre-amp you are using. It should be capable of delivering sufficient output current. Without that, you might end up with a thin, harsh sound, lacking bass etc. irrespective of the amount of power you put behind it.

From my own experience, I have been driving the SCM40s with Cyrus' Mono Xs and Monoblocked-Power's thru a Cyrus Pre-X pre amp. Not completely satisfied with the sound I was hearing, I blamed the output of the Mono's and tried different power-amps. However, at the end of the day it appeared the pre-amp being mainly responsible for the distorted reproduction. Changed to a simple NAD, job done. Even with a simple 15-year old Cyrus Power amp of 50 Watts, I obtained stunning results with the SCM40!

Regarding placement, my experience is that they are not fuzzy at all. One of my speakers is tugged in between a corner and a sofa and where the B&Ws were 'complaining', the ATCs don't mind at all.

It's a great speaker, especially in the new black ash veneer!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
debt_collector:It's obviously a matter of taste, but I didn't like the SCM-40s. I heard them in two demos and in a home trial with very good amplification. To my ears the SCM-40s seemed very transparent, dynamic etc. However, compared to other speakers, its bass performance disappoints, particularly in its ability to reproduce the lower frequencies. I settled on a pair of Harbeth SHL5 which is more to my liking. Have a listen and get what you prefer...This is something we are finding. Obviously there will be speakers that are technically better than others, but this isn't always what people are after. An individual's choice of speaker has to complement the rest of their system, their musical tastes, and their room. The ATC's do tend to fare better in these categories, but there are some people that find some speakers a little too forward or lean for their tastes. Personally I wouldn't say the SCM40 lack bass, in fact I was quite surprised when I heard them, as I wasn't expecting what I heard after loking at the specs, but I can see why some people may think this.

Initially when I heard the 40's, it was hard to imagine anybody else buying another £2k speaker, but since doing many dems to people with different situations, it proves that we are all different, and have different needs. It's a bit like M&K - it trounces any hi-fi AV package as far as I and everyone here is concerned, but it's not always to everyone's taste.

Any speaker should be auditioned before purchasing, as they differ immensely and system matching is extremely important. I'm glad sflam has reinforced what I've said in the past about amplifier matching - the ATC's really do thrive on power. Yes, they can be driven to acceptable levels with decent quality amplification (hence Sugden getting a mention), but to get the best from them, power is needed.

A

Anonymous

hi dave , in your opinion how does the atc40's compare to a pair of b&w 805's? im going to be upgrading my atc11's after christmas and would like some info on these two.can i pick these up ex demo any were? thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's been a while since I've heard 805's, and it wasn't the current model, and add to that that I have had more experience with the 705 than the 805, I may subconsciously merge the two experiences together - you know how bad memory can be....
emotion-1.gif

Going by the nature of B&W's, I'd say they're going to be quite different, which is something you're going to have to try, otherwise you'll never know. Someone may be able to tell you what they think, but it's their system, their room, their music, and their preference. I'm guessing the B&W's are going to sound warmer, a little softer, with the SCM40's being a little more open with a flatter response due to being a sealed, 3 way system.

A

Anonymous

Hi Fowler,

you can pick a pair of ex dem SCM40 at Musicraft in Derby and you can demo them whiles there as well.

Saw a pair for £1550 in cherry with about 15hrs of use which is virtually new for a speaker which retails for £2044.

Have a chat with Rick from Musicraft and he should be able to sort something out for you.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

have heard them recently and very good but bass was lacking (IMHO) .... could because of the amp or interconnects connected to tyhe speakers?

if you want really good speakers for much cheaper, then get the old IMF TLS 80 - 4 way transmission speakers .... used to have a pair and had to sell all my hi-fi gear as I was skint and without work ... not much to touch them but pretty large (1 metre high) ... can be placed close to a wall

a really stunning pair on ebay now ... should sell for cheap (£500-£600) or maybe even less ... ebay number 270446926853

tried to convince my wife that I need thesethese but just got a dirty look which means definately no!
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks david. hi ben i got my atc11's off rick so i'll be sure to give him a call just after christmas to see if he can get me a pair of 40's ex demo. i love the sound of my 11's so the 40's should be more of the same but bigger and better in every area. ill have to take the i30 along aswell to see if its up to the job of powering the 40's cheers mate.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

debt_collector:It's obviously a matter of taste, but I didn't like the SCM-40s. I heard them in two demos and in a home trial with very good amplification. To my ears the SCM-40s seemed very transparent, dynamic etc. However, compared to other speakers, its bass performance disappoints, particularly in its ability to reproduce the lower frequencies. I settled on a pair of Harbeth SHL5 which is more to my liking. Have a listen and get what you prefer...This is something we are finding. Obviously there will be speakers that are technically better than others, but this isn't always what people are after. An individual's choice of speaker has to complement the rest of their system, their musical tastes, and their room. The ATC's do tend to fare better in these categories, but there are some people that find some speakers a little too forward or lean for their tastes. Personally I wouldn't say the SCM40 lack bass, in fact I was quite surprised when I heard them, as I wasn't expecting what I heard after loking at the specs, but I can see why some people may think this.

Initially when I heard the 40's, it was hard to imagine anybody else buying another £2k speaker, but since doing many dems to people with different situations, it proves that we are all different, and have different needs. It's a bit like M&K - it trounces any hi-fi AV package as far as I and everyone here is concerned, but it's not always to everyone's taste.

Any speaker should be auditioned before purchasing, as they differ immensely and system matching is extremely important. I'm glad sflam has reinforced what I've said in the past about amplifier matching - the ATC's really do thrive on power. Yes, they can be driven to acceptable levels with decent quality amplification (hence Sugden getting a mention), but to get the best from them, power is needed.

One thing I'm a little uncomfortable with is the fact that they are tooooooo honest. The average collection of CD's, records etc are going to contain less than excellent reproduction. In my collection alone, I have vast number of cd's, especially on cheaper labels where the ATC will probably trip up.

That reason, and that reason alone, I would say make sure you give them a damn good audition before even thinking about parting with that sort of money.

A

Anonymous

Speakers always require a thorough audition, I'd agree with that, as tastes vary considerably.

PP have you heard the SCM40's by any chance? I think your fears over less well recorded material might be a bit sensitive. I have and enjoy a variety of stuff from the best well produced and polished modern CDs as well as a load of 60's garage punk which is, well rough to say the least! I get tremendous enjoyment from both and everything inbetween.

The question is - do you want to hear what it was like in the studio/ how good the rest of your system is? Or do you want everything to 'sound good'? (i.e. 'coloured')

crimsondonkey:

Speakers always require a thorough audition, I'd agree with that, as tastes vary considerably.

PP have you heard the SCM40's by any chance? I think your fears over less well recorded material might be a bit sensitive. I have and enjoy a variety of stuff from the best well produced and polished modern CDs as well as a load of 60's garage punk which is, well rough to say the least! I get tremendous enjoyment from both and everything inbetween.

The question is - do you want to hear what it was like in the studio/ how good the rest of your system is? Or do you want everything to 'sound good'? (i.e. 'coloured')

No, to be fair, but I've heard the SCM11's and for years all ATC's have the same traits. As I mentioned, I did recommend to the OP that a good audition would be required, preferably with bad as well as good quality cd's.

A

Anonymous

Fairy 'nuff.

If I'm cheeky I'd also suggest that a good DAC can put extra life into less well recorded material (but can't paper over the cracks of course?)

fowler:thanks david. hi ben i got my atc11's off rick so i'll be sure to give him a call just after christmas to see if he can get me a pair of 40's ex demo. i love the sound of my 11's so the 40's should be more of the same but bigger and better in every area. ill have to take the i30 along aswell to see if its up to the job of powering the 40's cheers mate.

Hi fowler

Thanks for your kind words and support.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:One thing I'm a little uncomfortable with is the fact that they are tooooooo honest. The average collection of CD's, records etc are going to contain less than excellent reproduction. In my collection alone, I have vast number of cd's, especially on cheaper labels where the ATC will probably trip up.

That reason, and that reason alone, I would say make sure you give them a damn good audition before even thinking about parting with that sort of money.That's what I thought before I heard them, but we've found they seem to deal quite well with virtually all types of music, but obviously this will depend on amplification too.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if a bit too much is made of this transparency. I quite deliberately auditioned the 40s with my 909 and passive pre amp with some lo fi stuff and it sounded as good as it always does.

I don't like the idea of my speakers compensating for a 'bad' recording - after all surely the job of the kit is to reproduce the music as the artist/producer intended?

A

Anonymous

Hello again.

Went to the ATC factory this morning - quite near where I live, and spent a happy couple of hours listening and being shown round - many thanks to Bob (I think! not Bill, anyway) for all his time and patience. Amazing place when you consider the number of people working there (not many) and the overall size of the operation. They can produce stunning systems for studios, bands, concert halls etc to order - in other words, to fit the requirements precisely. Also one of the few true remaining UK manufacturers.

The SCM40s were driven by the new pre-power which is pretty much the same as the £2250-ish integrated, well over 100 watts and looks like exceptional value itself. Partnered by the rather lovely and sadly now superseded Meridian 508, the total cost of the system was the equivalent of about £6k.

Certainly I think the speakers were the stars of the show. Over my Dynaudios, they have next to no cabinet boom, no room-shaking ported flop, and more than anything a wonderfully open and wide-screen midrange. This is very hard to do in conventional 2-way systems, and it's rare to find a true 3-way for this sort of money - PMC do one for over £3.5k but apparently the bass can be excessive. No doubt ATC's mid-range dome is as good as you can get. I think anyone finding them lacking in bass in a demo situation - i.e. direct A-B with a speaker designed with perhaps too much - should take them home if poss and see how this benefits the overall sound in a real listening environment.

We did have a listen to the active SCM50 towers, which in the standard form at £8k ish also represent amazing value considering what's in them. All I can say is that, wonderful though these were, the 40s still sounded pretty darn good afterwards.

My only hesitation is that ATC are currently working on their own tweeter design, though this will be entirely retrofittable to existing speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts