Whiplash..... must see movie.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow - a really good movie. Excellent soundtrack - watched it on Sky but worth a punt on BR/DVD especially for the music.

And that Simmons bloke deserved t

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Wow - a really good movie. Excellent soundtrack - watched it on Sky but worth a punt on BR/DVD especially for the music.

Horrendous film. Jazz lovers and especially drummers will puke their guts seing this However, it was exciting to watch although dumb and pointless. As long as you don't take it seriously, it's a good flick.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
JK Simons completely ruined the film. Who in the world thought he is suited for that role? He has golden retreiver puppy dog eyes. Total miscast.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Boy this forums falling apart it must hate phones.

Vlad stop it - The film is superb, the music is superb - Simmons is fantastic (first noticed him in Spider-Man years ago an under used talent imo manages to dominate every scene he is in).

Vlad you're just being controversial this film held me from start to the last note.....I actually, now get this
turned the sub up!

I am now looking for the movie soundtrack. I'm sure I have most of those tracks but the modern renditions used for the film sound superb through my HT.......good movie.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the movie the same way you did. But when I began thinking what I like or dislike about it, it all went ultra marmite for me. Love and hate.

Love the soundtrack.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

You are bang-on the money mate, amazing movie, loved every minute of it also..... *dance4*

Sometimes a movie is made just to BE enjoyed, I think that this was one of them. There are places on the net where you can find folks bitching about this and that (lots about real drumming) but it was a smashing popcorn movie, very enjoyable to watch.

Peterapperup

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
here is a must see on how to train a jazz musician in the real world.

MV5BMjIxOTU3MjU4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc4OTI5MzE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2674040/

trailer;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcLoiztva8

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
30 minutes? Did you watch the original film (the "demo"), not the actual full cinematic version?

RobinKidderminster said:
In the mind of the beholder I guess. We found the movie awful. 30mins of my life wasted. Pointless rubbish. Only my opinion ofcourse. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
7760 said:
30 minutes? Did you watch the original film (the "demo"), not the actual full cinematic version?

RobinKidderminster said:
In the mind of the beholder I guess. We found the movie awful. 30mins of my life wasted. Pointless rubbish. Only my opinion ofcourse. :)

It means he walked out after 30 minutes because it was so bad.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There are truly horrendous films out their like John Carter, Human Centipede 3, The Green Lantern, Movie 43, Blade III, Cowboys And Aliens, The Invasion, Rock Of Ages (I could go on), which certainly puts Whiplash into perspective. Like most movies, there's a certain amount of "fluff" which is present in order to make things far more interesting than they actually would be in real life, but it's just a shame his still isn't enough for the "Eastenders generation" who expect something juicy to happen every 5 minutes.

I fully appreciate that personal preference plays a heavy part in the films we enjoy, but a quick look at the critic and public scores for films on IMDB are a fairly good measure of what is and isn't a good film, whether we agree or not. I see its won 81 awards, so it must be fairly good...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
You have sold enough 'award' winning hi-fi for long enough to know these gongs are regularly given out to #### as well as gold-dust.
We're not talking just Oscars here - there's God knows how many awards from different organisations. Film awards are generally given out after a film's release - awards tend to be upon a product's release, and if you're implying what I think you're implying, films don't rely on those awards for revenue. Do you go and see a film because it has won some Oscars, because I certainly don't! I'll go and see a film IF it looks interesting. I wasn't interested in Whiplash as I'm not into jazz, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't know who the "Eastender generation" are??? Perhaps u could explain (to those who may want to see it) what is good about the film. I found it pointless. The OP loved it. That's fine. Best recent film for me was "The Imitation Game". A bit Eastenders? I think not.

I comment for balance. I hated it. Others may love it?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not like you David to extract a single word from a discussion. However, I retract the word hate and replace it with "found the film to be of no interest to ME whatsoever, so I switched off after 30 mins".

You found it interesting. Fine with me. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I didn't dislike it, but I can't quite understand why it's so highly rated. I liked the music, the acting's good, but the storyline was far too predictable.

An average film with good music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts