Which way to go with my new stereo speaker setup?

andymnz

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Hi - first time poster here.

Looking to build a new, stereo hi-fi setup in my living room (would call it 'moderate' size). Starting with the speakers and will work to the amp/pre-amp. At the moment, I'm looking at going three ways - with three particular sets of speakers I'm considering....

1) a set of used Naim Ariva's - big floor standing with great low end (I'm told);
2) a set of used Kef Q5s - look great and great reviews but quality of wood finish not as great. Reviews don't seem 'as' positive as the Ariva's (much cheaper)
3) a set of used nOrh 5.1s - very interesting looking, and excellent ratings , supported with a sub. Potentially get a pair of these new given good price point.

Some other parameters:
  • Must be wooden - and must be interesting looking (hence why the Ariva's and 5.1s are of interest!)
  • Buying used in New Zealand (so limited used market) - but keen to buy used to get better value (unless anything thinks otherwise?
  • Musical tastes are broad - listen to 50% house/electronic and 50% soul/jazz/afro-funk etc. - so both clarity and punch are important
  • Have not bought amp/pre-amp yet (as above) - but that will come next...
Thanks in advance!
Andy

Hi - first time poster here.

Looking to build a new, stereo hi-fi setup in my living room (would call it 'moderate' size). Starting with the speakers and will work to the amp/pre-amp. At the moment, I'm looking at going three ways - with three particular sets of speakers I'm considering....

1) a set of used Naim Ariva's - big floor standing with great low end (I'm told);
2) a set of used Kef Q5s - look great and great reviews but quality of wood finish not as great. Reviews don't seem 'as' positive as the Ariva's (much cheaper)
3) a set of used nOrh 5.1s - very interesting looking, and excellent ratings , supported with a sub. Potentially get a pair of these new given good price point.

Some other parameters:
  • Must be wooden - and must be interesting looking (hence why the Ariva's and 5.1s are of interest!)
  • Buying used in New Zealand (so limited used market) - but keen to buy used to get better value (unless anything thinks otherwise?
  • Musical tastes are broad - listen to 50% house/electronic and 50% soul/jazz/afro-funk etc. - so both clarity and punch are important
  • Have not bought amp/pre-amp yet (as above) - but that will come next...
Thanks in advance!
Andy
Welcome...

What amp do you use at the moment? What size is the room? Why do you think Naim Arivas are good? Unless you've heard them there's no way of telling.

What do you mean by wooden? Wood effect on the cabinets?

What is your max budget for amp & speakers?

Before we can even start to recommend any brand, what source(s) do you have or plan to buy?

Sorry for so many questions.

andymnz

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Welcome...

What amp do you use at the moment? What size is the room? Why do you think Naim Arivas are good? Unless you've heard them there's no way of telling.

What do you mean by wooden? Wood effect on the cabinets?

What is your max budget for amp & speakers?

Before we can even start to recommend any brand, what source(s) do you have or plan to buy?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks Plastic Penguin.

At the moment I'm ampless - so will be building from ground up. Room is moderate size (perhaps total space of 35-40m2?)

Re wooden - the wood 'look' is the most important. Appreciate the Kef's in particular will be veneer/vinyl. I know nOrh's are solid wood and not sure about Ariva's.

Max budget...as first 'cut' of the setup, perhaps $1500-2000 NZD total.

Re source, it would be AppleTV (streaming) for the time being, before getting a better true lossless wifi/network setup. Cheers!

andymnz

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
You are going to be hard pushed to find speakers that are wood as opposed to wood effect veneer.
the Arivas are just that, veneer.
the idea you can make a speaker to a price point using solid wood is not likely.
Thanks for clarifying re Ariva's. Wood effect is fine with me.

Last edited:

andymnz

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Ruff, ruff!
Nothing wrong with those Arivas if you can get them for a good price.
Please note that room dimensions as sq/m since helpful , need a to be length by width....

Room not 100% square, but i'd say 5m x 6m as a best summary (not including narrower section connecting with kitchen/dining room) Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts