admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this has been covered a few times.

We could do with some advice on which tv to buy. We have £1000 ish to spend on a tv of about 40 inches in size due to room size. We keep getting conflicting opinions regarding the LCD/Plasma 'war', and just seem to be getting bogged down with the facts and figures.

It will be our first 'big telly', ie flatscreen, and will use it for average viewing (sky, the odd dvd, 'corry' etc, etc)

Sorry to use others 'leg work', but we are getting tired taking our 1 year old son around the shops looking at them all !!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy B"]

Sorry if this has been covered a few times.

We could do with some advice on which tv to buy. We have £100 ish to spend on a tv of about 40 inches in size. We keep getting conflicting opinions regarding the LCD/Plasma 'war', and just seem to be getting bogged down with the facts and figures.

Sorry to use others 'leg work', but we are getting tired taking our 1 year old son around the shops looking at them all !!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

[/quote]

Hi Andy,

I'm a big fan of LCD TV's so I may well be a bit biased here! The choice of TV depends on what you want to use it for. Two of the best 40 inch LCD's available at the moment are the Sony 40D3000 and 40W2000.

The 40D3000 is better for watching standard definition TV. It doesn't display full 1080P images but it has 100Hz with 24fps support. This generally leads to a TV better equiped for displaying fast moving scenes such as football and formula 1. This also has 3 HMDI's.

The 40W2000 on the other hand has full 1080P, so it is great if you want to play videogames such as a PS3 which outputs this. However, it doesn't have 100Hz. It only has 2 HMDI's.

You can pick the D3000 up for around £820 or the W2000 for just below £1000. The W2000 is due to be replaced soon - watch out for some real bargins shortly...

Rzeznik

A

Anonymous

Hi Bud

Rezeznik is spot on.

I had the same issue 'Which One'. In the end I went for the 40D3000 and paid £820.00 delivered. I looked at them both side by side and to be honest there was no difference!

Looking to purchase the DAV-IS10 to complement the set.

PS3 looks great through the 40D3000

A

Anonymous

Would I be correct in thinking that the technology seems to be moving more and more towards the LCD tv? At first, we have been thinking of Plasma due to the reported better handling of dark images, and less problems with faster moving video clips, but there seems to be more LCDs for sale than plasma.

Do we really need to be concerned about if it is 'full HD'? ie 1080 display?

I think we will have to go to the local Currys, and ask the 'sometimes' helpfull staff to run a few of the screens seperately from the others with one of our own DVDs.

Anybody have any feedback of LG tvs? They looked amazing last time we saw a lot of tvs together, but they had their own display stand, with their own clips running on them, while all the others in the showroom had grainy sky playing through them .

The more we find out, the more questions we seem to find !!!!!

Andy

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy B"]
Would I be correct in thinking that the technology seems to be moving more and more towards the LCD tv? At first, we have been thinking of Plasma due to the reported better handling of dark images, and less problems with faster moving video clips, but there seems to be more LCDs for sale than plasma.
[/quote]

That's a tough question to answer. I don't think we're about to see a sudden end of plasma television technology. Other than projection, it is the only other semi-affordable means of getting a screen bigger than 42 inches.

There are so many LCD televisions around because they're much cheaper to produce than plasmas. Sure, it's true that plasma televisions tend to handle darker images and fast motion well - but some LCD's are on par with them now. Quote the 32D3000 seen in this months supertest. In my opinion you've got to be pretty picky to be unhappy with one of the newer LCD models.

[quote user="Andy B"]
Do we really need to be concerned about if it is 'full HD'? ie 1080 display?
[/quote]

This really does depend on what you intend to watch on the TV. If your going to watch standard definition TV for the next couple of years then don't worry about it. If your going to watch high defintion TV then possibly worry about it - remember that it's unlikely TV will ever be broadcast in 'full HD' because of the bandwidth.

If your going to be playing a next gen video console on the TV then I personally would go for a 'full HD' screen. It'll look amazing!

I could live without 1080P on a 40 inch screen if it were the 40D3000 to be honest!

[quote user="Andy B"]
I think we will have to go to the local Currys, and ask the 'sometimes' helpfull staff to run a few of the screens seperately from the others with one of our own DVDs.
[/quote]

I wouldn't bother... ;O)

[quote user="Andy B"]
Anybody have any feedback of LG tvs? They looked amazing last time we saw a lot of tvs together, but they had their own display stand, with their own clips running on them, while all the others in the showroom had grainy sky playing through them .
[/quote]

Hmm, in my humble opinion, pound for pound you'll find it hard to beat the 40D3000!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS