WHICH SUPER AUDIO CD PLAYER?

skipper

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I am hunting for a SACD machine which will equal or better my NAD 542.I was thinking of the Pioneer PD D6,Marantz SA 7003 or the outgoing Marantz SA 7001 KI.Any suggestions? Thanks,

Skipper

A

Anonymous

I've owned both the Pioneer and the Marantz SA7001. Sold the Pioneer, because to my ears the Marantz is a class above - better resolution, dynamics, not as bright.

T

the record spot

If you can get a deal on the SA7001 KI go for it. Be aware though that if your existing kit is bass-light or lean, this won't add any of that to it. Fantastic midband, very nice rounded treble; one of the best CD players I've owned. The bass is articulate - both SACD and CD are excellent on it. Works well with whatever you care to play on it too; we've got a wide range of CDs and there isn't a bad one yet.

Word of caution though, if a CD is badly recorded, it'll show it up in an instant. This player isn't forgiving in the way some Linn gear can be. That's a good thing IMO, but it might not be for everyone.

EDIT: You also listed the SA7003, this is the replacement for the SA7001, the SA8003 is the replacement for the SA7001-KI. Marantz have dispensed with this long-standing designation for KI graded equipment.

A

Anonymous

The new Marantz SA8003 has got to be worth a look at £600/700. I will be auditioning one next week at somepoint so will let you know about what I think!

A

Anonymous

Are you interested in the surround sound capabilities of SACD because some SACD/CD players will only replay the SACD stereo layer.?

T

the record spot

True; the Marantz is 2-channel SACD, but no worse because of it.

TRENDING THREADS