which subwoofer for a home theatre?

kushal_657

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
my room size is 24 feet x 21 feet. the room is a dedicated home theatre. Will a 400 watts 15" subwoofer do or will i need 2 10" subwoofers of 300 watts? Among velodyne, svs and earthquake which one should i go for?

thanks

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
According to those that know....

10-inch subs won't produce the ground shaking low frequency effects you might like, so no matter how many you have you won't get the same effect as a single 15-incher.

10-inch subs typically only go down as far as 35 to 40 Hz, and you need them to go down to 20 or 25 Hz for the floor-shaking to begin.

I have two Polk PSW110 10-inchers in a 19 foot x 12.5 foot dedicated home theater (sic) room and that's certainly true. The -3dB limit is 38 Hz. I bought them, BTW, as factory seconds, more or less at half price, but I wish I'd just bought one bigger one instead.

Go for a single 12 or 15 incher as your budget dictates but make sure the frequency response and the -3dB cutoff in particular goes really really low. I have no idea, unfortunately, about brands for sale in the UK these days.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Go for a single 12 or 15 incher as your budget dictates but make sure the frequency response and the -3dB cutoff in particular goes really really low. I have no idea, unfortunately, about brands for sale in the UK these days.

Actually, I'm not at all sure that the OP is in the UK.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

room size is another hint.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Go for a single 12 or 15 incher as your budget dictates but make sure the frequency response and the -3dB cutoff in particular goes really really low.  I have no idea, unfortunately, about brands for sale in the UK these days.

room size is another hint.

But he did spell it "theatre"...

kushal_657

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I am going with the klipsch RP-280 7 speaker set up. So now il go forward with the klipsch subwoofer. My options are:

1. 1 15" Klipsch R-115 woofer: frequency response 18 - 152 Hz ; Power 400W RMS / 800W peak

2. 2 12" Klipsch R-112 woofers - frequency response 24 - 125 Hz ; Power 300W RMS / 600W peak

The difference in price of both the options is not an issue. So as per my room size, which one should i go for?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered Power Sound Audio Subs instead? I find proper sub companies make better products than speaker companies making subs generally

The sub doesnt have to match the speakers - there is no such thing as matching - all subs can integrate with all speakers just fine.

If your sold on the Klipsh - you have big room see if you can stump up the extra for the dual 15" I think you will benefit and thats the model that seems to garner the praise

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Go for a single 12 or 15 incher as your budget dictates but make sure the frequency response and the -3dB cutoff in particular goes really really low.  I have no idea, unfortunately, about brands for sale in the UK these days.

WGARA as they say around here...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts